Cost for a new starter in a 93-97 Northstar?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Cost for a new starter in a 93-97 Northstar? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I've heard that it's quite expensive to install a new starter in a Northstar, how much could it be? Is ...
    I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Cost for a new starter in a 93-97 Northstar?

I've heard that it's quite expensive to install a new starter in a Northstar, how much could it be? Is it the labor or the part that makes it so expensive? We had a '96 K2500 with the 7.4L in for starter problems at my work, I looked at the bill and the starter was $400, and I believe the total service was like $563 or so, the service writer said most starters went for $250-$350. If the Northstar starter was about as much as the starter in the K2500, that wouldn't be so bad.

One of the main things my dad's got against the Northstar is the potential expensive starter repair, and the potential HG problem. He knows the HG problem is avoidable, but a starter could go out on any car, no matter how it was maintained (correct?). Now the odds that it'll go out are slim to nil, but my father and I both think of what's it's gonna cost me in the worst case scenario.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Cost for a new starter in a 93-97 Northstar?

Check rockauto for a price. Not a hard DIY job. That will save labor costs. Starter is under the intake manifold. Most people who have done one say in and out in about 1 hr.

Really?! Wow! I heard it was incredibly hard and complex from the techs I work with, but then again, they're used to Chevys, not Caddys.

Rockauto has the starter motor (is that right, it's the only thing I could find) for a '95 ETC anywhere from $133-$305.

For comparison purposes, the starter motor for my '92 deVille is anywhere from $60-$140. The starter motor for that '96 K2500 7.4L on rock auto is anywhere from $135-$240, so for a customer, at the dealer, a Northstar starter would be around $450-500 I'd assume, but I'm lucky on that aspect because I get pay wholesale prices on parts.

Cad tech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 STS, 97 STS, 58 Eldo

20 mins prop intake.....gravy job make sure to clean heads so you wont get intake leak

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Different prices are probably different manufacturers. I'd stick with A/C Delco. They are pretty reliable though. You'll probably never need one.

They are so protected from the elements they are rare to go out dont worry about starter since 92 I can count on 2 hands how many starters I have replaced or seen replaced....usally the only problem is that the main power nut becomes loose, you just tighten it up (13MM) and done...

Cad tech, I take it you're a Cadillac technician working at a Caddy dealer. Do you Caddy techs think the Northstar is a total PITA to work on like the Chevy techs I work with? I wonder if they think that because it's so much more complex than the stuff they're used to. The Northstar is more like a BMW or M-B V8 than anything else GM makes.

Nope, it is to hard and complex for them to absorb...that is why they hate them..All engines have their faults...I work with guys that all they work on is duramax and allisons, I happen to think they are a pita, (cause I dont know them like they do lol) see how it works...Try out a Catera every Cadillac tech hates those OPel things lol....but once you get used to them they are fine...

Ah ok. That solves one problem, the dealership I work for is a part of a chain of dealers, theres a Cadillac/Pontiac/GMC in that chain too, I could get a Northstar worked on there, and still get a discount on parts/labor.

Mountie is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!

Do what I did when I replaced my entire Northstar. Talk to the Cad service mechanic about replacing your starter. You can do it, and not too much trouble. Everything is on top. Hell, 4 bolts ( ONLY the bolts for the injectors - not the injector cover bolts) and lay the sparkplug wires aside, raise the injectors assy, up & the starter is right there. Clean the underside while you're there.

Have a beer.

blb
    blb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    He knows the HG problem is avoidable, but a starter could go out on any car, no matter how it was maintained (correct?).

How is the headgasket problem avoidable? If you are going to say proper maintenance is the answer, explain the failures that occur before the first scheduled coolant change. Although proper maintenace (scheduled coolant changes) will help the longevity of the gasket itself, it won't prevent the failures that occur when the headbolts pull out of the aluminum block. The starter is way at the bottom of the list when considering likely and expensive repairs you will be faced with as a Northstar owner.

Want to avoid it? fix coolant leaks as they appear, fix and overheat immediatly and 1/4 movement on needle above halfway, dont stomp on it on heavy inclines, watch also not to mix coolant and keep it fresh and if you add water add distilled...

blunted is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldorado , '12 CTS Coupe

I don't think the starter is that hard on the earlier years 93-94.. I was cleaning my phenolic spacer plates a few weeks ago and I was looking right at the starter the entire time. I had the intake held up by a couple 2X4's with only the plugs wires and air filter hose moved aside.. I might have need just a couple more inches of clearance to lift it off if I needed to replace it, otherwise you could probably change it out in an hour.. and that's coming from someone NOT mechanically inclined!

thatwolfofmine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Cad tech View Post
    They are so protected from the elements they are rare to go out dont worry about starter since 92 I can count on 2 hands how many starters I have replaced or seen replaced....usally the only problem is that the main power nut becomes loose, you just tighten it up (13MM) and done...

I think my starter just went today. All I'm getting is a grinding sound. I checked the battery connections, fine. Could a loose power nut cause this? Where is the power nut? I know you know I am a newbie, but I can do a lot with a little instruction. Please help!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.