93 Northstar stalling
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 93 Northstar stalling in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I just bought a 93 Eldorado with the 4.6 Northstar motor in it.After about 20-40 mins.of running it hesatates,and stalls.It ...
    I need tech help is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Question 93 Northstar stalling

I just bought a 93 Eldorado with the 4.6 Northstar motor in it.After about 20-40 mins.of running it hesatates,and stalls.It useally restarts but runs ruff and stalls again right away.It has codes P071,P105,and IO52.I replaced the ign.control module,coils and plug wires(no help)Can anyone help me?I hear that the Northstar is known to have problems with the crankshaft pos.sensors?Does this sound like it might be the problem?Thanks,Bruce

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cad tech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 STS, 97 STS, 58 Eldo

Re: 93 Northstar stalling

Mat sensor problem or you have cracked plenum or major vaccum leak in plenum area. It will be vacuum related though, with the 71 (MAT sensor prob) and 105 brake booster vacuum problem...which leads to manifold leak not creating enough vacuum.....

I checked the vaccum to the brake booster and MAP sensor,it was good.I thought because it was stalling maybe it set those codes as it stalled and lost vaccum?Did the 93 northstars have problems with the crankshaft position sensors or was that a problem on the newer northstars?

so you took off top cover of plenum to access the MAT sensor???Did you measured the kpa reading PD02 on the onboard compute using a vaccum pump? yes they had problems with the CKPs but with your descripion of problems and codes it leads me away to check other things, those codes just dont come up to throw you off the trail..it wont give give you codes for low vacuum unless the engine has a serious problem in that area, it would give you a near stall code maybe...Also check fuel pressure..

I think your right about a vaccum leak Cad Tech,Its funning when the car has set for along time when first started it runs fine for 20-30 mins.the engine temp was 223 and it was still running fine,then it started fluxuating up and down.I checked the PD02 and it was going from 10-35 at 1000 rpm and 10-55 at 2000 rpm.as the engine fluxuated.So it sounds like I'm going to pull the plenum cover,I don't have a vaccum pump to check the MAP,is there another way to check it?Also were would I look for a cracked plenum(sides,top,can't really see the bottom)Thanks for the help so far,I feel I'm getting closer to the problem!

good job keep plugging away and we will be here to help.....see if you can borrow one on just go down to local parts house and rent or buy a vaccuum pump they are pretty cheap now almost obsulete lol....

Thanks for your help Cad tech! I took the intake off and it was a cracked plenum,got one from the salvage yard from a 94 Eldo.and had to change everything over(wiring was different for injectors)Now its running fine.What alot of power it has!

Right on very happy we could help!!!!

boricuacaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Premium AWD CTS

Wow! Give that man some props! Nice to know there are people like Cad Tech, and Ranger able to come to the rescue! Nice job!

David

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.