Seville Engine replacement.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Seville Engine replacement. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi every body. I need some advice from you guys. I got a Seville STS with a cracked block. I ...
    tp001 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Seville Engine replacement.

Hi every body. I need some advice from you guys.

I got a Seville STS with a cracked block. I try to replace the engine but I can,t find any L37 locally. There a junk yard has a LD8 with blowed HG. Can I use that engine to replace my engine with my cyclinder heads. Is there same as the L37?

Thank

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Re: Seville Engine replacement.

no
    different pistons and cams were on the L37

Thanks CadillacECT.

You saying is the block are difference too?
    I read that the difference are the intake cam and the gear only.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

What years?

Why do you think you have a cracked block? Can you see the crack? Where is it?

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by tp001 View Post
    Hi every body. I need some advice from you guys.

I got a Seville STS with a cracked block. I try to replace the engine but I can,t find any L37 locally. There a junk yard has a LD8 with blowed HG. Can I use that engine to replace my engine with my cyclinder heads. Is there same as the L37?

Thank
    Yes. Be sure to use your L37 heads and cams; the intake valve lift and duration is the difference as far as the engine is concerned.

And of course, Time-Sert the bolt holes in the block.

My car is 96 serville STS L37, the other LD8 is 98. one of the piston is broken and broke the block . I just want it run OK and smooth . not mind about the power little less.

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Definitely get an L37 unless you want a real headache. The computer and transmission are programmed for the L37 you have. You'd likely spend a lot of time and frustration trying to make it work right without faults and gremlins if you try the LD8 (unless you swap everything including the transaxle and the computer).

Regarding a replacement engine. I would recommend a remanufactured engine with a warranty. That's what I'd get if it was me in your spot.

Here's a link to a 3 yr / unlimited mile warrantied Northstar, that has been TimeSerted (very important procedure so that you don't get pulled headbolts and headgasket troubles).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-99...QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck. Let us know what you end up doing.

Several months ago someone posted changing to a 275 hp from a 300. They were happy but had only driven it a short while. I havn't caught another post and I asked them for more details but no answer.

The shift points are different. If you are doing city driving you are probably going to be happy. If you are doing more high speed/freeway driving maybe not so happy. The 275 has a lower torue and HP curve so higher rpm shifting is not as compatible. It will run and may be satisfactory but it will depend on your expectations. Swapping the 275hp for the 300 works a lot better than the other way around.

If you make this change let us know how it works.

If you buy the engine with the bad HG's maks sure you repair them by timeserting the block.

timesert.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.