Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Eldobroken 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I was wondering what your take is on the Northstar? Seems like I hear a lot of bad things about them such as their unreliable. Seems like a lot of people praise the 4.9 as being more reliable. Since you guys actually own them what do you think? Have you had many problems or is there really nothing to back up a 4.9 is better than the Northstar.

Just curious to hear your arguements!

Thanks,
Dave

#2 ·
99Zee28 said:
Hi guys, I was wondering what your take is on the Northstar? Seems like I hear a lot of bad things about them such as their unreliable. Seems like a lot of people praise the 4.9 as being more reliable. Since you guys actually own them what do you think? Have you had many problems or is there really nothing to back up a 4.9 is better than the Northstar.

Thanks,
Dave
Did you read this post below...???... http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9225

Better...???... The 4.9 is no match for the Northstar in terms of performance. I would say that both engines are very reliable overall. There are lots of problems on both engines itemized on this forum....as there are on any product on any internet forum. Everyone searches out the particular sites to bitch/vent/get advice for a problem. There are millions of each engine out running around doing fine... Some of each have problems. A 4.9 is probably a little simpler to do major work on due to it's somewhat antiquated design and lower content....the Northstar offers excellent performance and economy and meets the later model emission requirements that the 4.9 could not....

#3 ·
99Zee28 said:

Thanks,
Dave
Hi Dave I have to agree with bob the N* is a kick ass engine. And if you read the other post i toast the same car with the 4.9 and to tell you the truth He has more problems with lower miles than me. Only thing that gets me is all of the components of the computer system a little scary even for me a Network engineer and computer hardware reviewer. Oh and the stupid suspension that costs 2 arms and a leg for shocks and struts. But i am getting really familiar with everything and cannot complain with 160k+ Miles.

#4 ·
Hi, I must agree with the fact that the northstar engine is a much more technologically advanced engine. The only thing that I found wrong with the N* is that a lot of them tend to burn a quart of oil between oil changes. I am talking pre-2003. Other than that it is a very reliable engine and I hardly see them going in for repairs just the usual oil change and lube job. By the way, GM does not know why they do that.

#5 ·
I have a 98 N* and my mom had a '92 Deville with a 4.9
Only thing that every happened to hers was drive belts. For some reason she went through about 2 or 3 in a few years. And one time the water pump shattered. Bearing Problem. Other than that, the car was wonderful. It had very good gas milage even at 150k+. Didn't burn oil and had a lotta get up and go. As for my N* I like it a lot and so far it seems very reliable. If I had to choose between the 2 engines I don't think I could choose. They are both really good. One downfall of the N* of course is the price of repairs.

#6 ·
99Zee28 said:

Thanks,
Dave
Just one more thing i fail to mention. I dont know if this is common lately with big heavy cars. 300HP a Bunch of tourque im not sure of the weight of my eldo but, On the highway 27 Miles per gallon @60mph not to shabby in my books. My 88 Stang had 300 some odd HP after a lot of money in mods ran a mid 13 sec 1/4 and i was impressed with 15 mpg HWY. Well gearing is different with N* but the car is a hell of a lot heavier. The stang had a UGH AOD Tranny it took some abuse though still going somewhere 200+k miles strong. Matinence really pays off in the end. One thing though that car never leaked a drop of oil in the 200K. The N* gets a new leak every month :hmm: I guess thats what you get with aluminum. And a second year motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.