So much for your "bullet-proof" Northstar engines...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, So much for your "bullet-proof" Northstar engines... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; This is so depressing, and it's not even the money that hurts. I bought my Son the nicest '99 Eldo ...
    zr1mark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado

So much for your "bullet-proof" Northstar engines...

This is so depressing, and it's not even the money that hurts. I bought my Son the nicest '99 Eldo I could find last May. After it overheated twice hard,
    which I'm sure was the headgasket, now a noise has gotten so loud in the engine I know I have to put a motor in it. And this is a car that could go back
    in the showroom at 82k miles, it's that ice......
    My first question is, will a 2000 and up motor work, or do I have to get an earlier Northstar to fit ? My mechanic will start the search next Spring, I can't bear to look at the car now I'm so depressed. I bought the boy a beater
    for the Winter.
    Does anyone have any ideas how an overheat turned into such a loud "knock"
    in a matter of 3 months ??
    Any help or support would be appreciated..

Lost and upset in Massachusetts,
    Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Re: So much for your "bullet-proof" Northstar engines...

no offense
    but you come here ridiculeing our cars and then seek help?
    perhaps i should be rude too and tell you this question has been coverded about a million times
    if you dont like it then sell it
    overheating has nothing to do with a knocking, sounds to me you ran it low on oil and threw a rod because thats the ONLY way to blow up a northstar... and dont say the idiot lights didnt come on, you or he should of checked it reguarless every so often...
    lose the attitude it will get you far in life
    and no only a 96-99 N* will be a direct drop in
    95 will work if you change the intake..
    00+ is completely different engine...

zr1mark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado

I'm not ridiculing the car, I love the car.
    I am a little upset right now, but I'll get over it.
    It's kinda' too bad it happened, that's all.
    I did not want to appear abrasive, I hope I did not come across that way.

Your info on what engines fit is of great help....

Thanks,
    Mark

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

np
    sry myself
    am very defensive of my car lol
    did you he change or have the oil changed and not add the 7.5 qrts it needed?
    may wanna pull the codes also to see if anything was stored
    hold down the pass side warmer button and the off button on the a/c controls
    your whole dash will light up and display fault codes if any

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

I understand your anger . Sometimes it like that when the things we love let us down.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I don't think the two are related. You can have the head gaskets replaced. Remember, there is no guarantee that a junk yard engine will not have a head gasket problem now or in the future. It's a crap shoot unless you spend big bucks on a new engine. If you have the gaskets replaced, be sure whoever does it is familiar with the Northstar and the Timeserting proceedure and that all 20 bolt holes are Timeserted. I would have the knock diagnosed. It could be a bad belt tensioner bearing. If it turnes out to be a rod (very uncommon), then a replacement engine is probably the best way to go. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

I also suggest a replacement engine. I had a LOUD knock in my engine that was caused by oil starvation (the pickup screen was blocked by excess silicone). My car is also in very good condition and I felt a new motor was worth the cost. I got the motor for $2695 with a 3 yr/unlimited mile warranty and paid $99 for shipping. Have a look at the link below and give Dave a call if you are interested. This is for a 4.0 but they sell as soon as they are posted and he doesn't have a 4.6 listed right now. Tell him Charles from Seattle sent ya...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99...QQcmdZViewItem

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I forgot about that Clark. For that price a new engine is about the same (with labor) as a head gasket job.

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Pearl White Diamond Cadillac Eldorado ESC

^^ That price for a Northstar is excellent! I am used to seeing close to $4k for a Northstar.

Sorry for your troubles Mark. If you can't get an engine for cheap, I would try to fix the knock like others said first. Then you can tackle the overheating.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

I think any engine will quickly become junk by overheating it.

Now I'll also agree with the oil problem. Any time you know that engine's been over temp the oil should be changed ASAP. If it's a noise like that and you think it's a rod then if not you, someone has neglected the oil in the car.

There is a small chance that you're experiencing a very rare incident of a rod bolt coming loose but I doubt it.

It's also possible that someone before you packed a bunch of silicone in a half case or oil pan leak. Then the silicone gets sucked into the crankcase and clogs the pickup screen, as mentioned above.
    Ownership:
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by codewize View Post
    I think any engine will quickly become junk by overheating it.

Now I'll also agree with the oil problem. Any time you know that engine's been over temp the oil should be changed ASAP. If it's a noise like that and you think it's a rod then if not you, someone has neglected the oil in the car.

There is a small chance that you're experiencing a very rare incident of a rod bolt coming loose but I doubt it.

It's also possible that someone before you packed a bunch of silicone in a half case or oil pan leak. Then the silicone gets sucked into the crankcase and clogs the pickup screen, as mentioned above.
    I did numerous post crash teardowns for the FAA and NTSB of aircraft engines . The amount of silicon sealer that could be found on the oil pickup screen and in oil passages was astounding. I never used the stuff for that and other reasons.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

I am still having a little trouble getting past your first post. I don't think anyone ever said these engines are bullet proof. I know you changed your tone and I can definately understand being upset, but don't take that kind of attitude.

Anyway, you said it overheated twice right? How high did it hit, how long was it that high and did you change the oil right away? If any of these is a negative answer, then I wouldn't think twice about changing that engine. In fact, that would be my first inclination. What I have heard so far makes me think you should anyway. Why spend all that money and then have to replace it anyway? Beside, with a new engine, you have a warrantee for three years; that's amazing. If you can't or don't want to pay that, then I would suggest trying to get rid of it.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by I_Finally_Have_A_Cad View Post
    I am still having a little trouble getting past your first post. I don't think anyone ever said these engines are bullet proof. I know you changed your tone and I can definately understand being upset, but don't take that kind of attitude.

Anyway, you said it overheated twice right? How high did it hit, how long was it that high and did you change the oil right away? If any of these is a negative answer, then I wouldn't think twice about changing that engine. In fact, that would be my first inclination. What I have heard so far makes me think you should anyway. Why spend all that money and then have to replace it anyway? Beside, with a new engine, you have a warrantee for three years; that's amazing. If you can't or don't want to pay that, then I would suggest trying to get rid of it.
    I confess I made a "bullet proof" comment. But I think there was a caveat about keeping oil in it. You can make a machine fool proof then along comes a better fool.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Pearl White Diamond Cadillac Eldorado ESC

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

If you overheated it "hard" you may have damaged more than a rod and popped a HG. The heads might be warped (need to have them checked/decked by a machine shop), also your rings might be toast and pistons damaged. I would seriously consider replacing the engine as there are alot of things that will need fixing if it's been overheated severely. All your gaskets will be toast too if you didn't immediatley change the oil which means you're likely going to need to replace the half case seal/oil pan gasket (this requires removal and basically a complete teardown of the engine).

Honestly it will be easier to drop a new engine in, afterall for $2800 to your door and some tools / engine hoist you can pretty much do the repair yourself. You might be able to do it cheaper if you rebuild your engine, but you have alot of parts to check/repair. Just my .02 take it for what it's worth

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.