PCM P 0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree1Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, PCM P 0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Glad you found the problem - after some $$$ - Now you know it's all black magic.....................
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: PCM P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction

Glad you found the problem - after some $$$ - Now you know it's all black magic..................

Marques is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 deville

I have an 01 Deville with the same code. I replaced the air pump, fuse and the valves are good and vacuume hoses are good. What else could cause this code?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It looks like your multiple duplicate posts, 3 minutes apart, auto-merged. You need only post a question one time.

Go back through this entire old thread, then look through the pages of Discussions, Item Specific: Cadillac Tech Tips for threads on the AIR system. Then, if still no joy, try to Google "cadillac forums 2001 deville secondary air system".

Next to the #1 (right) rear bank AIR valve there is a solenoid control valve with 3 vacuum lines attached. Trace out those lines and make sure they are not leaking/broken. Any of those plastic lines and rubber connectors may be replaced with a proper length of correct sized vacuum tubing from the Help! racks at any large parts store or NAPA.

rtseller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

Will the pump only come on if the car is cold, if so does it get information form the engine temp or is there a sensor? I have checked all the wires , if you are wondering; the small brown goes to computer, the small red goes the fuse box ign1 10 amp fuse, One of the large red wires go to the 50 amp fuse and the other goes to the pump.

I have replaced the pump. When i start the car with a multi meter connected to the plug (pump disconnected) it reads up to 15 Volts for a period then drops to zero (as expected). When I connect the pump and connect a multi meter is has no voltage and the pump does not come on. I have checked the pump and it is operational. I'm getting punchy. Thanks for being a great source of info!

The AIR operates only briefly during cold/cool startup to light off the cat, and even that run possibility or run time is determined by coolant temp, ambient air temp, black magic and the phase of the moon.

You might (might) go a whole summer and never hear it run. Now, during those cool fall mornings, it will run more frequently.

rtseller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

Re: PCM P 0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction

It was a bad ground on the pump to the block. The bolt connecting it to the block was missing a washer in and would make contact occasionally. Hopefully that did it. Thanks for replying

juniormyrick is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 DTS 92'deville 99'deville

Just a side note, I am under the impression that when my AIR PUMP went out, It took about 1-3 months before my CAT was Clogged. I replaced the cat at 150,000K and 1-3 months later My CAT was clogged again. My question to you is "Does the introduction of fresh air in the 'Cold Start' prevent Cat clogging emissions?" in other words, Did the air pump failure cause my cat to plug in those 1-3 months? Keywords: AIR PUMP, plugged CAT, Thanks guys. JM

I don't think the CAT failure is AIR pump related. All the AIR pump does is blow fresh air into the exhaust to light the CAT off quicker. Kind of like a blacksmith using bellows to blow fresh air into the coals to get the fire hotter and the metal heated to a workable temperature. The quicker the CAT lights, the quicker it does it's job. It's strictly an emission related thing mandated by the EPA.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Yeah, A.I.R. system failure does nothing to the cat.

juniormyrick is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 DTS 92'deville 99'deville

I'm at a loss.. What would cause me to go through two $600 CATS in 6 months?? Clean synthetic oil, only Shell Premium gas, New filters Air/oil ect?

skuppej is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville SLS

I purchased my 02 Seville with some bad strut mounts and I live in a hilly location, so I would bottom out all the time. Eventually, after enough scraping, the filter box below the car just ripped off, leaving the tubing hanging down and the blower sucking dirty air from beneath.
    I got around to fixing the struts earlier this weekend and while doing this I decided to just remove the darn thing entirely. It is unnecessary, I feel, in warmer climate zones. And it only runs at a cold boot. Car seems to be working fine.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by juniormyrick
    Clean synthetic oil, only Shell Premium gas, New filters Air/oil ect?
    All irrelevant to the cat. Has anyone check for a faulty FPR?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by skuppej
    I purchased my 02 Seville with some bad strut mounts and I live in a hilly location, so I would bottom out all the time. Eventually, after enough scraping, the filter box below the car just ripped off, leaving the tubing hanging down and the blower sucking dirty air from beneath.
    I got around to fixing the struts earlier this weekend and while doing this I decided to just remove the darn thing entirely. It is unnecessary, I feel, in warmer climate zones. And it only runs at a cold boot. Car seems to be working fine.
    Bad strut mounts don't cause bottoming out.

An inop A.I.R. system won't do any harm to the car. However, it is an emissions system. A proem with the system will set a code and the SES light will remain on. An automatic fail for emissions testing.

Also, FWIW, a cat operates at 1,200-1,600 degrees. The A.I.R. system gets it up to temp quicker. A 50 degree difference between a "cold climate" and a "warm climate" is completely irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by juniormyrick View Post
    I'm at a loss.. What would cause me to go through two $600 CATS in 6 months?? Clean synthetic oil, only Shell Premium gas, New filters Air/oil ect?
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    All irrelevant to the cat. Has anyone check for a faulty FPR?
    A rich running engine can dump raw fuel into the CAT and burn it up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.