bottom pulley wabbles
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, bottom pulley wabbles in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; On the pass side of the car, the very bottom pulley looks as if its loose, is this the water ...
    CognLac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

bottom pulley wabbles

On the pass side of the car, the very bottom pulley looks as if its loose, is this the water pump pulley? and it sometimes makes a noise as if it needs some WD-40 has anyone seen a pulley fall off or become loose and start to wabble?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

capn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado ETC

Re: bottom pulley wabbles

if its the big one thats the crank pulley and thats not a good one to have come off, it drives all the acc. power steering and all that (i might add that a 94 ETC is very hard to drive with no PS) but make sure its tightend down correctly

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Don't drive the car around until you have it checked. If that pulley lets loose, you can be in for some very expensive repairs. Have it checked by a garage right away.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by CognLac
    On the pass side of the car, the very bottom pulley looks as if its loose, is this the water pump pulley? and it sometimes makes a noise as if it needs some WD-40 has anyone seen a pulley fall off or become loose and start to wabble?
    The very bottom, large pulley is the crankshaft harmonic damper/drive pulley. It is attached to the end of the engines crankshaft.

The front surface of the crankshaft harmonic damper pulley is an "as cast" surface so it is not uncommon for it to "look" like it is wobbling slightly. I seriously doubt that it really is as problems with that pulley are very rare. The key is to look carefully at the belt grooves in the drive pulley. Those are machined separately from the front surface of the pulley...so....the grooves that the belt runs in should run straight with no wobble... Check the belt grooves only for runout and ignore any runout in any of the other surfaces.

The damper is held onto the end of the crank by a very large bolt that clamps the damper, the oil pump drive sleeve and the cam chain sprockets together. It is highly unlikely that the damper is loose as if it is loose the engine will instantly loose oil pressure....

There is the unlikely, but possible. situation where the damper pulley is failing in that the elastomeric joint that joins the outer ring/pulley to the center hub is failed and the outer ring is slipping off. This is usually pretty obvious as there will be a distinct offsett between the center hub and the outer ring and the belt grooves will be wobbling and out of line causing the belt to run crocked.

It is pretty easy to inspect the condition of the damper, actually, by removing the right front tire and the plastic splash panel at the rear of the wheel well. The damper/pulley is directly in front of you and easily visible there.

AFter taking a better look at it, the pulley looks fine the noise seems to be comming from the place where you fill up the pwr steering fluid, or even inside the engine, my buddy said like a cam bearing, if it has one, but it does sound like a bearing going out of somekind, same kind of werid kind of high pitch squeel, but its not constant, seems to be worse at startup

any advice would be greatfull. i probably will not have the time to get in there for another week,

Lawrence is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Your probably right in that it's the PS pump. bbob has a post on that somewere, you'll have to do a search. Something about an o-ring between the resovior and the pump. Also take the belt off and by hand spin all the pulleys and tensioners, etc. to listen for a rough one. You can go by feel to as it won't make the same noise by hand. They should all spin free, smooth and quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by CognLac
    AFter taking a better look at it, the pulley looks fine the noise seems to be comming from the place where you fill up the pwr steering fluid, or even inside the engine, my buddy said like a cam bearing, if it has one, but it does sound like a bearing going out of somekind, same kind of werid kind of high pitch squeel, but its not constant, seems to be worse at startup

any advice would be greatfull. i probably will not have the time to get in there for another week,
    Take a piece of 3/8 rubber hose, stick one end in your ear and use the other end like a stethascope to listen around the engine to find the noise.

Not likely that it is a "cam bearing".... With 4 cams and 21 cam bearing caps I don't think so....

Likely it is a bearing in a pulley in one of the idler pulleys in the accessory drive or possibly the AC compressor hub bearing or even the belt squeeling due to a slight missalignment.

First thing to to do isolate it to the accessory drive is to loosen the belt tensioner with the engine running so that the belt slips and the accessory drive stops. If the noise stops then it is in the belt drive or an accessory. Use a 1/2 inch breaker bar to unload the tensioner in the 1/2 inch square drive lug. Once the spring loaded tensioner is unloaded the belt will usually stop moving. If the noise stops then at least you have it isolate to an accessory.

Listen with the hose at the idler pulley and the idler on the belt tensioner. Both have sealed bearings that could be getting dry. They can be greased or replaced easily.

Look at the power steering mounting bracket and make sure that the locating tab on the bottom of the bracket is seated against the machined front face of the block. There is a locating tab one the bracket that must be seated against the block for proper alignment and no belt squeel at the power steering pulley.

If it is the AC hub bearing that can be replaced in the car by pulling the compressor hub/clutch/pulley off and replacing the bearing or the entire hub assembly. You can do this in the car without discharging the AC.

Listen around with the hose to isolate the noise source...that is the most important thing to do.

I will try to listen more closely tonight after work, if it is a pulley bearing should I have at least till next commission check before all hell breaks loose?
    thanks

Lawrence is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Monthly check?

You'll likely have time, but be prepared for the unexpected.

CadiJeff is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1981 CoupeDeville, 2 1990 Eldorados, 1994ETC ,1992STS

Check the power steering fluid level, I know it sounds obvious but most of the pwr/strng noises that I have seen in my cadi's were due to low fluid, including a similar noise situation in my 88 seville.

If the squeel you describe is a bearing running dry in one of the idler pulleys or something then I would recommend getting it fixed ASAP....if it is already making noise it is close to failing and spitting the belt off. At the moment all you need is a new bearing/pulley assembly...you might need a new belt and ????? if you wait and it fails completely...not to mention the tow and agony of walking home...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.