94 STS cracked block
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 94 STS cracked block in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; We started w/ a possible head gasket, found leaking valves instead....cooked the heads...all new bolts and gaskets and helix coils ...
    rblud87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 1994 STS

94 STS cracked block

We started w/ a possible head gasket, found leaking valves instead....cooked the heads...all new bolts and gaskets and helix coils in the block.....torqued to specs... and at the last bolt the block cracked. Has anyone had any luck at welding such a thing? Caddy dealer and autoparts have told us we can't get just a block...only the whole engine.....found a used engine (67000 mi.) but they want $1000. Since we have about $1200 invested in this engine so far.....is welding an option or does anyone know where to find a good block? Thanks for your help. It is not at an oil chamber but rather at a water chamber (?). I've also seen someone suggest JBWeld. Feedback please.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 94 STS cracked block

Tell me you used Timeserts, not Helicoils. If you used Helicoils, redo them with the proper Timesert or Bigsert or go with a new engine. Helicoils will fail in short order, if not immidiately upon torquing.

If it is not a stress point, JB Weld may work but I'd be more inclined to have it Heliarced.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

One advantage of aluminum cyl heads is that they are fairly easy to weld.

Is it the block cracked or a head cracked??????????????

rblud87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 1994 STS

The heads are fine, the block is crack at the last bolt and it's at a water chamber. Plan to try welding it first. Machine shop is the guy who recommended helixcoils..... what are the timeserts? I read of someone who didn't recommend them. Thanks for all your help.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Timeserts are the ONLY factory authorized thread repair. http://www.timesert.com

I did a search for Helixcoil and could not find anything. If you used Heli-Coils and are calling them Helixcoils. Remove them if you are going to salvage the engine. They are not strong enough and you do not want to have to do this twice.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Helicoils are fine for iron blocks, not for aluminum. Use the timeserts.

timesert.com

As Ranger said, it's the ONLY approved repair. Sorry your machinest steered you wrong.

I'd try to get the block welded or get a used engine. Don't swap the parts to another block if you can help it. The bearings must be replaced if you loosen the caps.

Mountie is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by rblud87 View Post
    We started w/ a possible head gasket, found leaking valves instead....cooked the heads...all new bolts and gaskets and helix coils in the block.....torqued to specs... and at the last bolt the block cracked. Has anyone had any luck at welding such a thing? Caddy dealer and autoparts have told us we can't get just a block...only the whole engine.....found a used engine (67000 mi.) but they want $1000. Since we have about $1200 invested in this engine so far.....is welding an option or does anyone know where to find a good block? Thanks for your help. It is not at an oil chamber but rather at a water chamber (?). I've also seen someone suggest JBWeld. Feedback please.
    I have my old North* sitting at my friend's shop in Oceanside, Ca. It had a spun rod bearing, but everything else was fine. The heads are intact, and if you want it, you can have it. It's a '93. Exact replacement for a '94.

I couldn't locate the photo of the actual 'old' engine, but the 'new' one I got is the same. You will get the heads & block complete. It has 120,000 miles, but it was a very smooth engine ( except for the rod knock noise )

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I just like the pic...cool to see the Northstar naked!

stevebuick23 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 STS, 2000 L67 Regal Beagle

can I have the Northstar for nothing?

Mountie is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevebuick23 View Post
    can I have the Northstar for nothing?
    Yup.

It has been partially stripped, and it has been covered outdoors, so there may be some "weather" evidence. The injectors are removed.

But as I mentioned, before I removed the engine, I did drive it around, and it was fine. Again, except for the rod knock. The heads & block are fine, the oil pan assy. is still attached. I partially cleaned it when I removed it from the car. I was going to dissassemble it just to learn about it, but I never got around to doing that. I didn't want to keep it, 'cause if I need another major job, I was going to get a factory replacement.

The photo is of the finished job, the original was the same before removal.

I was just asked to remove the engine only last week, so the timing is good.

I don't know where you live, but you can just pay for the shipping, etc.

Contact me by my general e-mail address; mrpete@tfb.com.......

clarkz71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Mercedes 400E / 1995 Eldorado/ 2006 Yamaha R1 LE

Quote Originally Posted by rblud87 View Post
    found a used engine (67000 mi.) but they want $1000.
    That's a good deal for a 67K engine. I might be inclined to cut my losses on the original engine and just get this used one if your sure it's good.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

Whats the deal with everyones hatred for the helicoil???

Me and my pops helicoiled a '92 4.9 4 years ago, and no problems arose. It can't be a strength issue because a helicoil's surface area on the block still makes it stronger than the original treads...

Approved or not, I don't see why a helicoil is a problem. Tried and trued by me for 4 years and still going...

clarkz71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Mercedes 400E / 1995 Eldorado/ 2006 Yamaha R1 LE

It has nothing to do with hatred. Heli-coils were designed for and approved for the 4.9 , that's why they worked for you. For the Northstar GM and time-sert designed a specific kit to repair the block and thats the only factory authorized repair method and is the reason they work for that engine.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

Yes, but many people seem to make the problem material specific, saying that helicoils don' work well in an aluminum block engine...?

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

disregard this post...I got confused.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.