Iridium Spark plugs
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Iridium Spark plugs in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Anybody tried the new AC Delco Iridium plugs in their Northstar, I know they are working out very well in ...
    1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Iridium Spark plugs

Anybody tried the new AC Delco Iridium plugs in their Northstar, I know they are working out very well in my chevy colorado, thinking about trying them in my northstar. The idle is much smoother, better fuel economy too, longer life. The Iridiums just came not too long ago, I hear they are better than the platinums.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1badcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94' Seville STS

Re: Iridium Spark plugs

I'm running the NGK Iridiums in my North* and it seems to like them just fine.

Blown Z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I am interested in the feedback as well as I am getting ready to do a tuneup on my N*. Thanks in advance!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

My wifes '96 Bonneville (3800) is speced for and has Iridium plugs. Not quite sure what the difference is but I'd stick with what is spec'd.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

What about Splitfire http://www.ftc.gov/os/1997/05/c3737cmp.htm; and Blue Crown plugs.

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

Great read, dkozloski were do you find this stuff?

You ought to see the one the FTC put out about STP and Andy Granatelli. It resulted in the biggest consumer fraud fine in history; something like $668,000.

The Iridium plugs do work great in my colorado, it idles smoother. They last even longer than the platinums too as they are even harder metal. Expensive though @# 11.00 per plug.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The NGK Iridium spark plugs were recommended to me by the northstar guru...

He knows I'm into performance, and he's the one who recommended running plugs 2 ranges colder...

Splitfire is a joke, and so are the Bosch +2's 4's etc... Iridiums are NOT in the same league, or zip code, or world really... Iridiums have all the benefits of platinum spark plugs, which are stock on northstars - but - they have a finer electrode tip. This makes it easier for the spark to jump the gap. Comparing them to split fires is ignorant. You will never see split fires used in an OEM application. Iridiums are used in OEM GM applications. When the Chevrolet team designed the 500hp Z06 Vette, what plugs do you think they used? Iridium. 'Nuff said.

Because iridium plugs have finer electrodes, the combustion gases can swirl around the insulator and keep the plug clean. They last longer but they aren't going to increase performance over another plug unless you are replacing worn out ones.

A lot of people are saying on the Colorado forums that they notice their headlights are brighter after switching to the Iridiums, I am finding the same thing myself as crazy as it sounds. The Colorados have 5 coils, one over each plug and the Iridiums take less voltage to fire, therefore less of power drain, therefore brighter headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    A lot of people are saying on the Colorado forums that they notice their headlights are brighter after switching to the Iridiums, I am finding the same thing myself as crazy as it sounds. The Colorados have 5 coils, one over each plug and the Iridiums take less voltage to fire, therefore less of power drain, therefore brighter headlights.
    That's the most rediculous godamn thing I ever heard in my life. You'd have a better chance of making the Northern Lights look brighter by standing in the back yard waving bed sheets at them.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Don't hold back Koz. Tell us how you really feel, but I have to agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Don't hold back Koz. Tell us how you really feel, but I have to agree with you.
    What's ironic is that if the theory were true the spark plugs would draw more current and the headlights would dim. Nixon was right; the public will believe any damn thing you tell them.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

I haven't put the iridiums in my Northstar but I have them in the GN. I'm not sure they'd be necessary in the Northstar, frankly. I only started having trouble with the Delco plugs in the GN when I started to tighten the gap well beyond stock so that I could run much higher timing and boost. The car wouldn't idle right but at WOT it was fine. The iridiums fixed that by exposing more of the fire to the intake charge with a tight gap. The car idles like stock, has really snappy throttle response and I can run it at the track without having to re-gap the plugs. I can't remember the last time I've had the plugs out of the car, actually. When I do pull the iridiums out, they look like the day I put them in. I guess that's the only reason - longevity - that I'd put them in the Northstar. But with the platinums going 100k miles, what more do you want? The iridiums are almost twice as much as the platinums, aren't they?

Jim

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.