Oil Change
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Oil Change in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Well, I did my first oil change on the new motor in my car. Wow! It is really scary how ...
    chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Oil Change

Well, I did my first oil change on the new motor in my car. Wow! It is really scary how much metal new engines can make while they are breaking in! The magnetic drain plug had a little "afro". That was at 500 miles, I think I will change the oil and filter again in 500 miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Pearl White Diamond Cadillac Eldorado ESC

Re: Oil Change

Yeah, I have heard that the best thing to do with any new engine is an oil change at 500, 1,000, 2,000, 3,000, and then the normal amount of miles. May be overkill, but maybe spending $50 now will save a repair later!

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Yeah, that is probably the interval that I will use. I agree oil and filters are MUCH cheaper than engines.

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If you want a real eye-opener, using a lathe or hacksaw, cut the "top" off the old oil filter. Pull out the paper element and carefully cut around the top and bottom plates. Remember that oil flows in from the "outside" of the element, then flows out through the center tube. Take the pleated paper, in several sections, and squeeze it dry in a vise, accordion style. Pull the paper flat and determine which was the "in" side and the "out" side. (You'll know by the junk on one side). The amount of aluminum flakes and sealant blobs, on the "in" side of the first filter after overhaul, will amaze you. Next change, do the same. There should be nearly nothing in that filter, or any subsequent ones. If, a year or so down the road, you begin to get either bearing metal or aluminum flakes in a filter, suspect a coming problem. 90% of the "dirt" created by an engine in its lifetime is trapped by the first filter.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Full flow oil filters were adopted to reduce the amount of cleanup required when motors are manufactured. I have disassembled new motors in the crate direct from the manufacturer for "blueprinting" and on the average found about 1/2 teaspoon of machining chips and foundary sand in the bottom of the oil pan. On startup all the oil goes through the filter so it is all trapped. In the good old days of bypass filters it all went through the bearings. The bypass filters did trap a lot finer stuff so the oil looked cleaner longer.

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    The bypass filters did trap a lot finer stuff so the oil looked cleaner longer.
    AMSOIL has a new line of full flow full synthetic media filters developed in conjunction with Donaldson and Wix that will help remove more of the wear products found in the motor:
    AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.