Huge Problem, No Shop Can Fix!!!! Help!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Huge Problem, No Shop Can Fix!!!! Help!!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I recently purchased a 1998 Cadillac DeVille with about 60k on the Northstar engine. The last few months i've been ...
    HelpMyCadillacPlz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Exclamation Huge Problem, No Shop Can Fix!!!! Help!!!

I recently purchased a 1998 Cadillac DeVille with about 60k on the Northstar engine. The last few months i've been having a strange, and very terrible problem. I will be stopped at a red light, and the engine will be ideling at 600rpm, then all of a sudden, the engine will shut off. It has always turned right back on when i pop it into neurtral and turn the key, but it is a serious problem. Sometimes after i get it started, if i'm still sitting at the same red light, it will happen again! I have taken it to three different shops (one of which was a cadillac dealer), and they all came back with the same response: "we drove it around for hours, and couldn't recreate the problem, so we can't help you". It doesn't happen all the time, but whenever i'm driving it further then 5 miles, it happens. When i purchased the car, there was an old cd changer installed, with an external remote wired in, but it doesn't work. I'm thinking it could be wiring causing the problem, but i really have no clue at all. It's a shame, this problem has made me not want to drive my new car anywhere. It sits in my driveway gathering dust because i'm afraid of breaking down at every red light i come to. If anyone, has any idea about what it could be, or if it has happened to them, i'd really appriciate any kind of response. Please. Please. Please. Help. I'm desperate.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: Huge Problem, No Shop Can Fix!!!! Help!!!

Have you checked the codes? I would think that the Caddy dealer would have though. What you are discribing is a classic crankshaft position sensor failure symptom. '99's are not known for this, but that does not mean that they are immuned. When one fails it will usually set a DTC but not always. It might be worth replacing both "A" & "B" sensors if you wnat to try throwing parts at it. Intermitent failures are a bitch to diagnose. They are located above the oil filter adapter, which needs to be removed to gain access to them.
    You can get them for a good price (and fast shipping) here . http://www.rockauto.com

1badcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94' Seville STS

Yep classic CPS going out. They are intermittent at first then it just won't start at all. Should be a str8 4ward removal and install. Good luck man!

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Third vote on the CPS's

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1989 STS / 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

CPS's for the 4th time.

Who the heck are you taking the car to that doesn't know that.
    Ownership:
    89 STS (1 of 1893) - FOR SALE
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

GreenMachine is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

Not all shops are experts on Northstars, I would bet on the CPS's but when my 98 was suffering from later stumbles but at first an intermittent stall after it had been running and I come to a stop light plugs that were in really ugly shape was the culprit.

If you check your codes you'll most likely find the one for "Engine Stall or Near Stall detected"....or code P1599..doesn't always tell ya much but in the FSM there is a flowchart for it.

There WILL NOT be a check engine light on when this DTC sets. But when it is in history it will record all the data on the stall and will most likely point you in the right direction.

Here's a quick summary of that table:

A. The tech working on the car should hook up a scan tool locate the stall data, it is not located in the Failure Records.
    B. Map Sensor Display Taken at the time the stall occured should be checked, if its value is higher than 95kPa the problem is Fuel System, Idle Speed Control, Emissions System, Wiring and Connections, if true perform the Fuel System Check.

If not one of those, the tranny system and sensors (CPS included in that) should be checked. Ignition System grounds should be checked, anything that could send a bad signal to the PCM and cause it to "crash".

This code, although vague, points you in the right direction.

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Pearl White Diamond Cadillac Eldorado ESC

CPS. I have read lots on how that kills the engine.

Love your username...

Thank you! Since i have zero experience fixing cadillacs, i'm getting ready to take it to it's fourth mechanic, now armed with all of your expert diagnosis. As shocking as it is i'm pretty sure that all 3 places i took it, including the cadillac dealership did not check the codes. It's especially odd seeing as how insistant i was about finding and fixing any and all problems it may have had. I was basically standing at the counter, tapping my credit card against it, praying they would find a problem, which i have NEVER done before. Now armed with your expert diagnosis i am going to take it to it's fourth appointment. Do you think i should go back to the cadillac dealership? Or is the fact that they were so clueless about it the first time around, ample evidence that i should never bring it back there? Thanks again, i'll let you know how it goes.

EcSTSatic is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Sounds like you should have brought it here first

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

In their defense, they can't fix a problem that they can't duplicate and I'd have to say that they are being honest by not throwing parts at it without proper diagnosis at your expense. Now if they did not run the diagnostics Which I would find hard to imagine), that is another story. Run them yourself and see if there are any DTC's stored.

The only piece of equipment i own, came in the trunk, and is under the spare tire. My tire iron. Anyway, if it's not something i can run down to auto zone and buy for under a hundred bucks, i have to outsource it to even check the codes. Which i've decided is the next step. Be back with an estimate, hopefully.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

You don't need ANY tools whatsoever to run the diagnostics on the Cadillac. See the tech tips section of this website on how to check them yourself by pressing a few buttons. The procedure is at the top of the section in the "stickies".

Tricky is offline Cadillac Owners Member

A CPS is the last thing Id look at , sorry! Not my vote .
    If the engine starts back up straight away and runs ok.
    Reading your thread it looks as if the engine is idling too low and cuts out.??
    Is your engine idle speed too low???

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    A CPS is the last thing Id look at , sorry! Not my vote .
    If the engine starts back up straight away and runs ok.
    Reading your thread it looks as if the engine is idling too low and cuts out.??
    Is your engine idle speed too low???
    Well when my crank sensors went bad, that is exactly how it acted. I would be driving and it would just quit. I would turn the key, and it would fire right back up. The crank sensors don't seem to fail permanently. They seem to have intermittent failure. I also vote on CPS. This is from experience.

Don

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by HelpMyCadillacPlz View Post
    The only piece of equipment i own, came in the trunk, and is under the spare tire. My tire iron. Anyway, if it's not something i can run down to auto zone and buy for under a hundred bucks, i have to outsource it to even check the codes. Which i've decided is the next step. Be back with an estimate, hopefully.
    You don't hafta go to auto zone to check your codes but a good thing is auto zone will do it for free so there's no purchase necessary. I also vote CPS.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.