Performance tune-up for 94 North*using performance coils.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Performance tune-up for 94 North*using performance coils. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Okay I plan on doing a full tune-up on my 94' STS and I always like to do upgrades where ...
    1badcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94' Seville STS

Performance tune-up for 94 North*using performance coils.

Okay I plan on doing a full tune-up on my 94' STS and I always like to do upgrades where possible. Let me know what you think of this tune up parts list.

AC Delco plug wires $99 at Summit Racing
    Summit brand 40k volt Performance coils
    $32.95 each requires 4.

NGK G-Power Platinum Spark Plugs $3 each
    Bosch replacement O2 sensors
    Fresh oil change with K&N oil filter
    Fresh clean and oil on current conical K&N air filter.

And The Westers Garage ECU chip.

What do you all think of this? The coil packs are 40k volt units similar to Accel units. This mixed with a propperly gapped platinum plug and a Tuned ECU chip should help the car run at its' full potential.

Later
    "J"

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Performance tune-up for 94 North*using performance coils.

Forget NKG plugs. Use A/C Delco. Northstars seem to run best with them.

Same with O2 sensors. Stick with A/C Delco.

Great price on the wires.

K & N air filter is a waste of money and won't gain you a thing. Save your money and again use A/C Delco. It will flow all the air the Northstar can breath.

I doubt the coils will do anything either. I can't imagine that they will do anything more than the OEM coils on the car. All they have to do is light the fuel/air mixture.

Don't know a thing about K & N oil filters, but if they are anything like their air filters, they are overpriced.

You can verify all of this with a search.

A/C Delco plugs, wires and O2's it is then. I do use the search function but not everything is gone over in those posts. Coils do help get the spark across faster and hotter especially when paired with new wires and plugs. It may not be a huge HP mod but it will help throttle response and mileage. My North* has just over 160k miles and I'm looking to make it feel new again with this tune up and a fresh Coolant change. I will have the coolant checked for exhaust gasses when it is drained, that way I know if my head bolts have loosened up and let the gaskets start leaking. I might also have compression test run on all the cylinders to see how healthy this baby is. It has a freshly rebuilt tranny and torque converter so I should be good there.

Anything else?

Well, I would not waste money on an exhaust gas test. If it is going to happen, it's going to happen. Nothing you can do about it and you'll know it when it starts to drink coolant and overheat. If you are not having those problems, you are maintaining the cooling system properly. Keep it up.

Compression test is also not usually needed. Due to the Northstars aggressive cylinder honing pattern which reatains oil and thus uses it, the rings and walls will last damn near forever with no wear. They have been reported to have been torn down at 250K and still have the factory cross hatch pattern visible in the walls.

As far as the coils go, I would swear I recall our old Guru saying basicaly what I did, but I can't swear to it and don't know enough about it to debate it one way or the other. Personaly I would not bother, but it's one of those, your car, your money and your choice things.

The only other things you might want to do is a good TB cleaning along with the EGR and "mouse holse" in the intake manifold. I would guess that will net you more than the coils.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

The stock ignition system will fire the mixture efficiently under all normal operating conditions. Anything else is gilding the lilly. Hotter spark does not give more power. All it does is apply more stress to the high voltage insulation and increase the chance of arcovers and misfires. AC oil and air filters are the most efficient on the market by actual scientific testing. Everything else is varying grades of overpriced junk. The reality is that the factory did a damn fine job when they built and equipped the car originally.

Sounds good to me. I guess I am used to older cars where an improved ignition sytem and coil pack would help out. Also On my 2v 4.6L mustang the Granatelli upgraded coilpacks net a dyno proven 15HP on a bone stock car. I figure these might do somthing for the North* since they make them for it. My car already has a K&N conical filter on it so I might as well clean it and re-oil it. The previous owner said the car runs really strong and burns no oil or coolant. We will see when it hits Houston. Just trying to gets some parts together for a full tune up when it get the cooling system overhauled.

Keep in mind that the K & N does not filter as well as the OEM filter. It will pass more dirt. Do a search, it has been "discussed" many times.

Also this car will be maintained regularly and run hard on a regualr basis. I run all of my cars hard so I usually install parts that will hold up to the beatings. That is why I wanted to tune it up with the best parts. The maintainence section said that these cars like to be run hard and don't even like to be excessivly warmed up after oil pressure it optimal. They said you should start it up let the oil pressure rise and then Go! I will probably also install all new power cables and ground wires as mentioned in the Big 3 upgrade post. I appreciate your guys expertise that is exactly why I post stuff like this.

Yeah, warm up is not necassary, but don't beat on it til it's up to operating tempurature.

Gotcha! I can't wait to start rollin' in my STS. I am in Italy right now and will be back rollin through Houston in Dec.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

If you flog your car once in awhile, may as well go a heat range or two cooler on the plugs.

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

Next major overhaul I do (oil pan' gasket, alternator bearing, strut mounts, ect) I'll be throwing in some colder range plugs. I drive my car like I stole it, and have so for the last 56k miles. I've She's got 101k on her, and still runs like a bat outa hell. I've been thinking lately though, that with the the amount of WOT I subject her to on a daily basis, colder plugs might be the way to go. Think I might need an injector or two as well, now that this thread has got me thinking of tune-ups and what not. I know one it ticking quite loudly off an on, and I think another one may be suspect as well. At WOT, I get a nice brown cloud out of the back of my car. I've also notice that if I've got the car running and I happen to be cleaning my rear rims (after I wash my car) if I get to close to the back of the car, for too long, my eyes start to burn, and it's the same feeling I got when I used to get too close to the back of my old '66 Mustang when she was idling.......raw, unburned fuel just pouring into your face. Last time I ran a 5 gas machine on her a year ago, she was a little rich at idle but still managed to pass emissions. Anyway, enough about my car.

New coils won't really gain much at all. The coil will only produce as much voltage as is needed to jump the gap. Higher output coils are needed when running leaner mixtures, and in higher compression engines since there is more resistance keeping the spark from closing the gap. In a stick engine, running stock plug, stock a/f ratio, and stock compression....a coil with a higher max output will still produce no more voltage than a stock coil will. It's not like an old 350 where the ignition system was somewhat inadequate to begin with. The coils on even he crappiest F/I cars today are capable of well 30-40k volts if need be. The only real gain I see with using higher performance coils in a stock N*, is the fact that they will most likely have double the life span of a stock coil, since they aren't stressed as much under high load.

Odin8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 97 STS (retired), 05 STS4, black on black

Someone explain to me what the benefit of running colder plugs is if you beat the piss out of the car? Just wondering, I'm ignorant to the whole subject.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Before adjusting the heat range on your sparkplugs, do like the people who know what they are doing. Take a series of plug readings.
    Drive like you normally would, pull all the plugs and compare them to the pictures on the manufacturers chart using a lighted magnifier. Do Some WOT runs and cut the ignition instead of letting the engine over run. Pull over and take a reading on all the plugs again. Now you have some data to work with to make a decision on whether they should be of a colder or hotter heat range instead of a wild guess. Trained professionals get a lot of money for this kind of work. Maybe they earn it. Using plugs with a seriously too high heat range can result in pre-ignition and holed pistons. Plugs with too cold a heat range will foul and result in misfires. The plugs reccomended by the manufacturer have a broad heat range that straddles everything the owner is likely to do. Unless you putt putt around in sub-zero weather or have seriously modified your engine and race it, it is highly unlikely you can accomplish anything with a heat range change that wouldn't be a step downhill.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.