Timesert VS NS300L Insert System
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By nirol6962
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Timesert VS NS300L Insert System in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Does anyone with first hand experience have a preference. I work 5 mile from the NS300L Insert System location. One ...
    jholland is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 Seville '76 Eldorado

Timesert VS NS300L Insert System

Does anyone with first hand experience have a preference. I work 5 mile from the NS300L Insert System location. One thing that really concerns me is the Timesert system has two kits available "first try and second try" . I've seen N* engines on ebay with cracked blocks apparently due to timeserts.

I don't know if it make a differnce but on my engine the two lower bolts on no.4 cylinder were loose when I took the heads off. The other bolts came out without stripping the threads.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MUGSANDLUKE is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Timesert VS NS300L Insert System

It's not for "first try - second try". If for some reason you have to tremove the heads after using the timeserts you can't re-insert them without increasing the diameter for a better bite. Hence the reason for the"2nd" kit with a slightly oversized diameter. From everything posted, they are still the best way to go.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

[quote=MUGSANDLUKE;843193]It's not for "first try - second try". If for some reason you have to tremove the heads after using the timeserts you can't re-insert them without increasing the diameter for a better bite. Hence the reason for the"2nd" kit with a slightly oversized diameter. From everything posted, they are still the best way to go.[/quot]

There is a Bigsert kit if you strip out a Timesert.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

I've done timeserts and don't see how you could crack the block from installing them.

I assume the NS300L kit is the one from ebay. It looks OK to me but I have no first hand knowledge of it. If you use it give us a review. It looks like the inserts are longer but I don't have them to compare.

dhm37 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96, 98 STS

I used the Timesert Kit on a 95, and the NS300L Kit on a 98, both STS w/blown HGs. Two of the Timeserts gave way on the last torking. The NS300L inserts held, but then, they are grabbing a lot more real estate

The NS300L system has an aluminum block as an alignment gauge, whereas the Timesert has a steel guage that actually bolts to the block for each hole. The NS300L block has to be clamped to the block, which was a bit tricky until I got the hang of it.

Bottom line, I plan on using NS300L system on a 97 STS that is next in line for rebuild. Just be careful not to drill any deeper than the original bolt hole, or you will see daylight ;-).

Cad tech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 STS, 97 STS, 58 Eldo

You need to let them sit overnight with the thread locker installed... If you the inserts gave on last tourquing either you installed wrong or your block was crystalized to much for it to hold...And you can crack the block when installing..if you missaligned the hole...if primary inserts do not hold kent-moore has the oversized and they are excellent, but you need the kit..

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Cad tech View Post
    ..And you can crack the block when installing..if you missaligned the hole...

You are correct. You can break anything if you try hard enough! I probably should have added ..."if you follow the instructions."

brown1904 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 seville sts

i have used the ns300l kit. it worked perfectly and was easy to use, just very very time consuming.

nirol6962 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville

I live in New Zealand and have a right hand drive Seville imported from Japan. After the head gasket went the mechanic pulled the motor out took the heads off then did the research and found out how notorious this problem was. He wanted $2500USD just to get inserts fitted, (he had to ship the block, stripped 350 miles to get this done) He concluded this wasn’t worth doing due to cost and asked me to bring a big trailer and take the car and all away. In desperation I searched the web and found the NS300L inserts. I brought the motor home on a trailer, fitted the inserts then gave it back to the mechanic to put it all back together. That was two years and about 25000 miles ago, still going strong. I used a good battery drill and a few spanners in a car port. It took about a week doing a couple of hours a night. I read this forum at the time which helped me choose those inserts.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Those that have used the NS300 inserts swear by them, ............remainder deleted pending answer to a related question.

TCLane is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

If you're looking for a NS300L kit cheap, I just posted one on Ebay. It was only used once to repair my Northstar. Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/200783261694...witem=&vxp=mtr

IXSLR8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I've done two 1996 Northstars using Norm's inserts. Work perfectly without a hitch. Thanks to his idea, we have more N* on the road again.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

I've done 2 h/g jobs, first 3 years ago with the timeserts, more recently with Norm's. Although the timeserts worked fine, I like Norm's way better. Much more robust, I would be very surprised if one failed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.