Metal pipe coolant leak...'custom' fix???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Metal pipe coolant leak...'custom' fix??? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi Guys, I have a '95 STS and noticed the metal coolant pipes that go from one side of the ...
    Mattlanta is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Metal pipe coolant leak...'custom' fix???

Hi Guys,

I have a '95 STS and noticed the metal coolant pipes that go from one side of the motor to the other were really rusted. They go along the back of the motor, between the motor and firewall, just above the rear exhaust manifold.

It was leaking since my car is a northern one, and the years of snow/salt eventually took their toll on them. They leak bad enough that I stopped driving it until now. I'd lilke to fix it up, but I am hoping one or some of you can help give me some suggestions or advice. The dealer wants $1000 in labor to change 2 $20 metal pipes, saying there is over 8 hrs. labor to do it.

Any idea's???

I looked under it this weekend and I feel like I should be able to put another straight metal pipe in place and use rubber hose on the ends where they bend. I just don't have much room to see or work properly when the car is on the ground (no lift).

Thanks in advance, any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!!!

Matt.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Metal pipe coolant leak...'custom' fix???

Am I the only one who this has happened to????

I see so much helpful info on this site that I KNOW someone must have some good advice for me. Do you guys know what pipes I am referring to???

Thanks again!

Matt.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I know what you are talking about but have never had to deal with them. Infact, being where they are, I am surprised that they rust. How much salt can get between the engine and the firewall. Anyway, I would think you could use a heater hose in it's place.

Thanks Ranger.

Another member sent me a photo of his modded with a heater hose and it seems to work just fine. He had keept it up higher, I suppose to keep it from the exhaust manifold heat. It is visible, which I would like to avoid, but it will be a quick, easy and cheap fix if it comes down to it. Even as a temp fix.

Longer term I am thinking I could use a generic metal pipe going just above the manifold like the OEM one, but use rubber at the ends where there is not much heat from the manifold. That should get the pipes/hoses in place without having to move the whole engine/cradle like the dealer is calling for!!!

Thanks SO much for your help and comments, I LOVE this forum!!!!!!!

Matt.

jimfulco is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '96 Eldorado

Might see if you could get some silicone hose for the joints. It should be a bit more heat-resistant.

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6

Someone here ran hose around that and said it worked well. I think it may have been Krashed 989.

Those lines were changed on my car with the engine swap too. The originals were not leaking, but the outsides were corroded a bit and looked bad.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Zorb750 View Post
    Someone here ran hose around that and said it worked well. I think it may have been Krashed 989.

Those lines were changed on my car with the engine swap too. The originals were not leaking, but the outsides were corroded a bit and looked bad.
    There is also "firesleeve" insulation that can be placed over conventional hose.

rugby2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

just bought a 97 deville with northstarr. 24 hrs latter ck cooland light on. turns out head gaskets. bought used eng. had that rusting problem with lines also. whats with these crappy engines? seems like all have head gasket problems right after warrent runs out. owners turn them in, dealer knows but sells them as is, leave lot .your problem? read something about class action against dex cool? how do I get in.? no wonder gm. going south. this eng is crap. my other car is 560 sl runs like a tank. eng, described as bullit proof. 180k no problems at all. caddy seems to puke at 100k. and you guys like it.? fool me once. will tell the world what a shaddy, dealer he is. and wont be singing any praises for the northstar.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by rugby2 View Post
    just bought a 97 deville with northstarr. 24 hrs latter ck cooland light on. turns out head gaskets. bought used eng. had that rusting problem with lines also. whats with these crappy engines? seems like all have head gasket problems right after warrent runs out. owners turn them in, dealer knows but sells them as is, leave lot .your problem? read something about class action against dex cool? how do I get in.? no wonder gm. going south. this eng is crap. my other car is 560 sl runs like a tank. eng, described as bullit proof. 180k no problems at all. caddy seems to puke at 100k. and you guys like it.? fool me once. will tell the world what a shaddy, dealer he is. and wont be singing any praises for the northstar.
    If you bought it from a dealer it had some sort of warranty. Doesn't federal law allow you to void the sale within three days. The next time you go to buy a car take a one-eyed, gimp legged, field hand with you to do the negotiations for you.

cincy95deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 95 deville First the water pump inlet went out and I took it to the dealer and the price jumped from 200 for the inlet to a thousand for "rusted out coolant pipes", their words. The pipe is only 39 bucks did you ever find another solution? Thanx in advance for the response. And can you see the pipes when you lay under the car? I have no idea where they are at or what they look like.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

They run along the rear head between the engine and the firewall. I doubt you can see them from underneath. try a hand held inspection mirror from the top.

MonzaRacer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Why not just replace then with braided steel lines and try to protect them as best you can. It has nothing to do with DexCool it has to do with on going development of headgaskets and I believe the pipes are simply the self same ones that other GM cars have problems with and even some of the older Fieros had similar problems. I honstly think the tubing is just too thin and its the painted,aluminized tubing used. If it were heavier and galvanized it may last a lot longer.
    Some braided steel hose companies sell compression fittings that might even help in replacements.
    Its a thought.
    Lee Abel

billytheshoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Eldorado

I noticed the pipes are new on mine with new silicone connections on the one I just bought. I feel lucky. I know as a mechanic that the ferrous metal lines they put on cummins deisels rust out regularly. I have'nt inspected whether it's rust from the outside in, or the insideout. The pinhole leaks I assume are corrosion from the outside. We use a nasty corrosive detergent+ a road salt & potassium shower running city streets 5 days a week. I have not paid attention to this cause they can be changed some what easily. Surely someone is out there that can bend up a more sutable tubing material. Currently we get custom made high pressure hydraulic tubing zinc plated, then epoxy coated, then Imrom finished. This has extended the life of the steel hydraulic tubing that operates at 2200psi for the life of the machine, how ever pressure fatigue still occurs, but not from corrosion. I will say the corrosion originates on the tubes at points on the machine that trap moisture such as tube fasteners.

mikeay is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS

I'm a little late on this but.... I also replaced the pipes completely with heater hose.

Some picture are here of the hose used and a rusted example of a pipe. Sorry for the crappy pictures, and the site may be slow.
    http://yan.webhop.org/caddy

Oh yea....I hope you don't mind the link back to cadillacforums.com on the images...

cincy95deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

What size steel braided hose should I but for the coolant pipe leak? And should anything else be done or will they match up to the holes ok? will the hoses hold OK without the metal pipes? Thank you in advance any other advice with the coolant pipes or water pump inlet would be helpful.

P.S MIKEAY, DO YOU HAVE ANOTHER LINK TO THE PICTURES YOU POSTED THE PAGE WOULD NOT DISPLAY

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.