fuel economy
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, fuel economy in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey all im sure you all know about how the gas mileage of the V8s are, if i got a ...
    capn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado ETC

fuel economy

Hey all

im sure you all know about how the gas mileage of the V8s are, if i got a hypertech programmer could i somehow adjust it to get better fuel economy like 20mpg or more?

capn

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: fuel economy

Quote Originally Posted by capn
    Hey all

im sure you all know about how the gas mileage of the V8s are, if i got a hypertech programmer could i somehow adjust it to get better fuel economy like 20mpg or more?

capn
    The engines are pretty well optimized for fuel economy. The combination of spark advance, EGR supply and closed loop fuel control ensure that the engine is operating most efficiently all the time. It is highly unlikely that you are going to jimmy something with the hypertech controller that will cause better fuel economy.....

The main thing that governs fuel economy is the mass of the vehicle and the way that it is driven. "V8's" get poor economy...???....not really unless you put your foot into it all the time....!!! The V8 isn't the problem....the acceleration that feels so good is what costs fuel economy. In town it is going to be hard to get 20 MPG on any car the mass of an Eldo but you should easily get well over 20 on the highway with your car. If not, then there is nothing that a hypertech controller can do to help it.

Even if it could, consider the cost of the aftermarket controller and how much fuel you could buy with that money and how far it would take you. Probabably little or no business case for the aftermarket controller even if it did work.

Do you have a 4.9 or a Northstar engine??

If you have a 4.9 make sure that the EGR tubes under the throttle body are clean and use a timing light to bump the timing up 2 or 3 degrees. Those two things will do more to ensure you are getting the best economy than anything else.

With the 93/94 Northstar the intake needs to be removed and the phenolic spacer plates cleaned thoroughly to make sure the EGR system is flowing correctly. That , and run good gasoline in the engine. The Northstar has a very effective knock control system that will retard the spark advance to prevent detonation which will hurt the economy some. Run premium fuel to make sure that this is not a problem to get the best fuel economy.

capn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado ETC

Re: fuel economy

i have the 94 4.6 northstar, and i ran it through a scan tool and got some codes i forget the number but it was somehting like EGR pipett malfunction and some others, i should have wrote them down and i do alot of highway driving and im getting like 16.5 mpg but maybe like once a week i gas it to show a ricer whos boss other than that i drive like a grandma only going up to 2,500rpm

and in NC we only have 87 89 asnd 93 octane and since it is recomended that you use 91 i have to use 93 so i should be getting better fule economy right?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.