A few questions 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, A few questions 2 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello everybody, I mentioned in a recent post that my car was involved in an accident and it sat in ...
    Gomeo001 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

A few questions 2

Hello everybody,

I mentioned in a recent post that my car was involved in an accident and it sat in the garage for quite a few months. I took it to the mechanic and he told me their might be some problems with the engine. Well a few days after the accident, I think about a week, it started to leak oil and coolant. Why is this if the only damage to the engine was the radiator fan breaking.

Thanks,
    Orlando

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Aurora By Olds is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DTS

Re: A few questions 2

If the radiator fan broke, then I would guess that the radiator had to break as well (depending on what really happened, but stranger things have happened).
    so lets say that the radiator broke. Coolant runs through the radiator, which would explain your coolant leak. The radiator also houses an engine oil cooler, which could have easily gotten broken if the radiator was as well.
    There are a few coolant lines, plus oil cooler lines running through the engine bay. Any one of them could have gotten damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora By Olds
    If the radiator fan broke, then I would guess that the radiator had to break as well (depending on what really happened, but stranger things have happened).
    so lets say that the radiator broke. Coolant runs through the radiator, which would explain your coolant leak. The radiator also houses an engine oil cooler, which could have easily gotten broken if the radiator was as well.
    There are a few coolant lines, plus oil cooler lines running through the engine bay. Any one of them could have gotten damaged.
    When it was leaking i check the bottom of the radiator and no coolant seemed to be leaking but it seemed to be coming from one of the hoses. I couldnt see exactly where but it was mainly coming from the front passenger side however it was also coming out by the oil pan.

Aurora By Olds is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DTS

The oil cooler lines run from the front bottom center of the block (by the oil filter) to the passenger side of the radiator. I would guess this is where your oil leak is coming from.
    As for the cooling system hoses, it might pay to follow each hose in the cooling system and look for leaks. You might get lucky and find one. It will probably help to have the engine warm and running while looking for any leaks too.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by Gomeo001
    Hello everybody,

I mentioned in a recent post that my car was involved in an accident and it sat in the garage for quite a few months. I took it to the mechanic and he told me their might be some problems with the engine. Well a few days after the accident, I think about a week, it started to leak oil and coolant. Why is this if the only damage to the engine was the radiator fan breaking.

Thanks,
    Orlando
    If the front end took a hard enough lick to break a cooling fan then the radiaotor must have been damaged also. Hard to believe that a cooling fan could be damaged without taking out the rad too. The rad could leak coolant from the fins area from a tube or the end tank and the coolant could follow a hose or the frame and leak out anywhere. There are oil cooler lines from the engine to the radiator that are probably damaged also and leaking oil.

Clean everything off with spray cleaner, start the engine and get under there and find the leak source. NOt likely that it it the engine from an accident like you describe. More likely a hose or cooler line or the rad itself from the accident.

thanks for the advice im definetely going to check it out this weekend. If i was to change the oil and the coolants wouldn't it leak back out right? Cause at this point most off all the coolant and oil has pretty much leaked out. So im going to have to put some back in there.

I found out about the leaks.

THe Heads are cracked and its going to cost an arm and leg to fix. Turned on the car once after the accident and sat for 8mthsafter that. Didnt have the white smoke till it got back from the mechanic. He said he ran it but didnt notice the white smoke or the smell only heard a "NOISE" in the engine. When i did the oil change it confirmed my fears that the heads were cracked. The oil came out a mikly chocolate color and the mufflers were leaking a mixture of coolant and water. An orangy mixture.

My question is that the car never overheated and didnt smoke like that after the accident either. The accident wasnt that bad. THe only damage was the outside fan breaking its holding case. When did the heads crack? It sat for about 8mths. We turned it on maybe once and it sounded so bad we turned right off after a min or so.

swimmster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Where abouts do you live? I'll play some humor here, but maybe some punk took a shot at your car for target practice?

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Never heard of Northstar heads "cracking".... how do you know that they are cracked?? Possibly a head gasket instead of a cracked head?? What kind of coolant concentration was in the engine while it sat for 8 months..???..if the coolant was weak and the temps cold it could have froze and cracked something. If your radiator was damaged what was done to repair/check it for internal leaks?? If the oil cooler in the rad was damaged coolant could get into the oil there.

brad3378 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have to agree with bbob,

You can't just assume a cylinder head is cracked just because there is coolant in the engine oil. This is typical of a blown headgasket.
    It's probably just a coincidence that the gasket was blown around the same time as the accident.

Either way, the cylinder head needs to come off.
    Unfortunately it is not going to be an inexpensive repair - sorry for the bad news.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.