Timeserts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Timeserts in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey, I am going to replace my own headgaskets. Where are some helpful threads? Where can I get timesert kits ...
    richbanta is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville 4.6

Timeserts

Hey, I am going to replace my own headgaskets. Where are some helpful threads? Where can I get timesert kits and how much do they cost? Are there any other thread repair kits that can be used? And while I got it out, what else should I do to the engine?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Re: Timeserts

Look at N* Head Gasket repair in the tech tips section.

I've read that timesert doesn't sell direct anymore so start looking at ebay right away, or post here and see if anyone is selling a kit.

MUGSANDLUKE is offline Cadillac Owners Member

You can have a Caddy dealer order the Timeserts for you. Just visit any of the threads here that deal with overheating or headgaskets. You'll find plenty of info. Also go to Timeserts.com for their own info regarding their products.

I am wondering. If I order the timeserts from the caddy dealer, do they also supply the drills, taps and jig set up to do the job?

The kit has it all. It only comes with 10 inserts though (1 head). You have to get 10 more inserts. I would think the dealer would be the most expensive place too.

Look at the timesert website. Look at the head gasket repair thread and look at the link to the writeup on timeserting.

There is also a similar product on ebay. The inserts look a little longer. I havn't seen anyone use them though. I would think it would work as well as timeserts but I have not used this kit.

eBay - Northstar inserts, Parts Accessories - buy and sell on eBay Motors

The amount for this set of different inserts is $399! Is this the usual amount for the kit even if its timeserts? Seems high for a tap, drill, jig and some inserts.

Price the timeserts new.

Quote Originally Posted by richbanta View Post
    The amount for this set of different inserts is $399! Is this the usual amount for the kit even if its timeserts? Seems high for a tap, drill, jig and some inserts.
    His buy it now is $339 and I suspect his pricing is based on timesert's pricing.

Does anyone have the timesert kit used minus the inserts themselves? Trying to save a klittle money here. Maybe someplace rents the tooling and I can buy the inserts themselves?

brown1904 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 seville sts

I am right in the middle of doing a head gasket repair using the kit from ebay. We paid 349.00 for the kit and he shipped it for free. In my opinion this is the best kit for the N* repair. It is very time consuming to do in my case, because we are doing it in the car, but the kit works great!!! Whichever route you take be very careful and take your time repairing those holes. Good Luck!!! By the way if you would be interested I could rent you my kit and save you some money. Let me know if you are. My email address is brown1904@bellsouth.net

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by brown1904 View Post
    I am right in the middle of doing a head gasket repair using the kit from ebay. We paid 349.00 for the kit and he shipped it for free. In my opinion this is the best kit for the N* repair. It is very time consuming to do in my case, because we are doing it in the car, but the kit works great!!! Whichever route you take be very careful and take your time repairing those holes. Good Luck!!! By the way if you would be interested I could rent you my kit and save you some money. Let me know if you are. My email address is brown1904@bellsouth.net
    An after battle report (with pics if possible) would be great especially since you are doing it in the car.

mountain14er is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I bought 20 timeserts directly from timesert.com for $60. If you can find a kit to use (even if you buy it, use it, and sell it) you'll be in good shape.

jss
    jss is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Seville

Rich,

As far as additional things to do to her while you've got her out;

I had the dealer do my head gasket when the car was 8 years old with 90k miles. He said that when they do one, they automatically replace something called the "oil manifold gasket". He said that there were problems with it on my particular year model (94). I also asked him to replace all crankshaft and camshaft seals, valve seals, and the front seal in the transmission.

Don't know how necessary all of that was; but on other engines those are traditionally high mortality parts - that I hopefully will never have to worry about again.

Good luck, Jeff

Tricky is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hi Richbanta,
    I'm just doing mine and believe me at that price its cheap!!
    You can buy the whole kit for the Northstar engine from Timesert but they would prefer you bought it from the retailer Wurth.
    Wurth wanted to charge me £800 in the UK!!!!!!
    It is a nice piece of kit and makes the whole job relatively easy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.