Lady In Distress - '01 Northstar Intermittent Stalling & Not Starting - Clues Please?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Lady In Distress - '01 Northstar Intermittent Stalling & Not Starting - Clues Please? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi, I have spent some hours on this great forum here, trying to find some answers before posting, as to ...
    XChoppers is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Eldorado

Question Lady In Distress - '01 Northstar Intermittent Stalling & Not Starting - Clues Please?

Hi,

I have spent some hours on this great forum here, trying to find some answers before posting, as to not duplicate Q & A’s. I have learned a lot although I can not seem to find a possible answer to the combination of problems I have with my 2001 Eldorado. – Northstar.

I was finally able to purchase my dream car, 2001 Northstar two years ago with 18,000K miles. The car now only has a little over 31,000k miles and I have thoroughly enjoyed the car until a few weeks ago.

#1 – My car is dying at stops or when just cruising slowly down a quiet street. No warning, just dies. I put it in park or neutral and it re-starts immediately. If the car had a carb, first thought and feeling would be to turn up the idle. It dies under all conditions – a/c on or off, hot day or mild day etc. etc.

#2 – In the last two weeks, I drive to a location about 10 minutes away, park for 20-30 minutes, return, and my beloved car will not start. The symptoms are like a car out of gas, tries to start strongly but will not “fire”. After a few tries, or waiting 10-15 minutes, and usually a few failed tries the car then starts, then is trouble free for a few more days and “startups”.

I am hoping that the above combination or problems might be a clue to my problem before approaching a mechanic “cold” or my husband, who has been building thousand horse Chevies for 40 years but the new age of electronics is a whole new world to him and is just now starting to read along with me in the forums here, on how to decipher the electronics of this great car.

…Need my car to hopefully get to our sons’ wedding in 2 weeks without grief. THEN time to spend some time in your forums here reading advice from all of the generous posters and moderators

Thank you in advance, hoping that my above combination of problems gives enough information to help us either fix the problem, or approach a mechanic with a few

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

Re: Lady In Distress - '01 Northstar Intermittent Stalling & Not Starting - Clues Ple

A few things came to mind, but first thing is first; have you checked the codes yet? Do that and then come back with the results. If you don't know how, just ask.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: Lady In Distress - '01 Northstar Intermittent Stalling & Not Starting - Clues Please?

Definately pull the DTC's first. You have classic symptoms of a failing CKP aka CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor). GM had a bad supplier and almost every '01, '02 and some '03's have been replaced. There are two, an "A" & "B" sensor. R & R them both.

That should eliminate the dying problem. If the hard hot starts persist, check for a leaky FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator).

Smile Re: Lady In Distress - '01 Northstar Intermittent Stalling & Not Starting - Clues Ple

Great thank you so much. It looks like we are on the way to get my dream car back to being reliable and enjoyable. I will keep everyone updated as to our progress to hopefully help others. Again, it is the car I wanted for a long time and planned to be my hopefully “last car”. We are going to start this afternoon, IF all is quiet. We have a metric customs motorcycle business, so I get put on the bottom of the list a lot with my “live in” mechanic (my husband).

In reading, I am seeing that these cars actually have more than an “off the shelf” gas cap, and above fuel pressure is mentioned. When I go to fill my car with gas (highest octane/premium) I have to “throttle” and play with the gas pump nozzle, in a lay term, the gas pump nozzle keeps clicking off, I can not just push the nozzle in, lock it, and let it automatically run. Hence, the gas pump nozzle keeps shutting of like the tank is full. This happens on all pumps, at all filling stations. Just tossing out another hopeful clue.

Thanks!

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

Re: Lady In Distress - '01 Northstar Intermittent Stalling & Not Starting - Clues Ple

The issue at the gas pump is nothing. My deville does that all the time. I am not sure why. I think it is a bottle neck thing. Just pump a little slower on the automatic setting and you should be fine.

Also, before you go nuts trying to find/fix the problem, check those codes. You don't need any tools to do it. Do you know how?

Quote Originally Posted by I_Finally_Have_A_Cad View Post
    The issue at the gas pump is nothing. My deville does that all the time. I am not sure why. I think it is a bottle neck thing. Just pump a little slower on the automatic setting and you should be fine.
    Unfortunately mine shuts off at the lowest auto pump settings. I've tried many differant pumps and it shuts off with all of them. Even pumping by hand takes time because the pump keeps shutting off while I'm standing there.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Finally_Have_A_Cad View Post
    Also, before you go nuts trying to find/fix the problem, check those codes. You don't need any tools to do it. Do you know how?
    We don't have a code reader. Do you know of a way to read codes without one?

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by XChoppers View Post

See post #1 here http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ull-codes.html

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

if the other suggestion does not work, autozone, oreilly's, any other autoparts store will scan you free....then post the code
    they also sell cheap scanners for like 40 bux, you could do that.

wydopnthrtl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Lady In Distress - '01 Northstar Intermittent Stalling & Not Starting - Clues Please?

This last spring I bought a 01 eldo w/northstar. Mine did the EXACT same thing. Died w/o warning. And it gave no DTCs either.

I read here about the crank position sensors and choose to swap them. I did and it's been perfect in the 20k miles since. Price was about $160 for both from the dealership w/me doing the work myself.

btw: Any autozone can scan and clear the codes for free.

Rich

Thanks a lot for that information! It sounds like changing those parts would be a good thing to try. By any chance, do you still have the part numbers for them?
    Also, where are they installed?
    My guess is where the crankshaft protrudes through the timing cover on the front but I have no experience working on this engine so it's all new to me.

Signed,
    Lady in Distress's husband.

P.S. - By the way, both my wife and I are very impressed by the willingness of everyone on this forum to help!
    Thanks!

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

I believe the CKP sensors are mounted on the side of the engine above the oil filter adapter which needs to be removed for access. I saw a pic recently. If I can find it I will edit this post top add it.

Edit:
    The pic was deleted from the post but here is the next best thing, coutesty of Mashbill.
    www.mashbill.com
    Ok, that didn't work Try post #10 in this thread. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...osition+sensor

Rockauto lists A/C Delco part numbers as 2131579 & 2131578. $32.78 each. They are listed as an ignition part.
    Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto

wydopnthrtl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Ranger is correct. Those are the numbers I installed. And yes you need to remove the oil filter housing.

It's not too hard of a job. But a little frustrating. Took me a little over 1 hour to do.

Rich

MUGSANDLUKE is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just one more suggestion if you don't mind. I had a similar problem and found that the injectors were clogged so badly that there were period of time when the engine starved for fuel and shut down or idled very rough and then quit. A full service injector cleaning may also help alleviate your problems. An inexpensive fix if that's what the problem, or one of the problems, is.

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

... When I go to fill my car with gas (highest octane/premium)...
    Not to jump around, but you don't need premium in your car. Runs just fine on regular old 87 octane.

No wonder ExxonMobil made 10 gazillion dollars last week..

Good luck with your CPS. I hope that's the only problem. Minor and cheap to do/get done.

MashBill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille DTS

Here is the Link for CKP Replacement. This info is from the factory service manual.

Hope verything works out for you!

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.