Oil pan gasket leak!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Oil pan gasket leak! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey guys, Northstar Noob here... I just purchased a 94 Deville and found that the oil pan is leaking at ...
    Caddywak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Oil pan gasket leak!

Hey guys, Northstar Noob here... I just purchased a 94 Deville and found that the oil pan is leaking at the gasket. It looks like a b@tch to get to, as the exhaust goes right under it. Does anyone know the procedure to removing the engine oil pan? Does the tranny have to come out? Does the engine have to come out in order for the tranny to come out?
    How many hours work should it be??
    Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Oil pan gasket leak!

The '94 Deville does not have a Northstar. It has a 4.9. Not sure it can be removed without removing the engine. try removiing one bolt at a time (the ones you can get to). Spray them and the holes down with Brakleen. Then blow out the holes and apply some permatex thread sealer to the bolts and torque to specs. That has been reported to slow it down drasically.

Caddywak is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi! Thanks for the reply. My Caddy is a sedan deville concours, and it sure does have a northstar. Like I said, I'm a caddy newbie, so is there a deville and a sedan deville?

Anyway, if you think that removing the bolts one by one and applying sealant will work, I'll give it a shot!
    Thanks!

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Yes, on the Northstar engine, the motor has to come out to remove the oil pan. And the Sedan DeVille was just called Deville. The performance version was the DeVille Concours.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Caddywak View Post
    Hi! Thanks for the reply. My Caddy is a sedan deville concours, and it sure does have a northstar. Like I said, I'm a caddy newbie, so is there a deville and a sedan deville?

Anyway, if you think that removing the bolts one by one and applying sealant will work, I'll give it a shot!
    Thanks!
    Ah, you didn't say it was a Concours. The base Deville did not get the Northstar til '96 or '97. I am not positive that the bolt sealant will work. It depends on exactly what is leaking, but others have reported at least slowing it down and for the price of pulling the engine to stop a niusance leak, it is certainly worth a try. Let us know if it helps.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

You have your choice of A, pulling the motor, B, pulling the trans, or C, trying to seal it with some RTV and living with it if that doesn't work. I'd give C a try first.

8-ball is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville View Post
    You have your choice of A, pulling the motor, B, pulling the trans, or C, trying to seal it with some RTV and living with it if that doesn't work. I'd give C a try first.
    You forgot D..... cutting the exhaust pipe, replacing the gasket, and welding the exaust back together.

Actually I tried that option, and it's not really viable. In fact it's a waste of time.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

I'm going to go out on a limb here. On my 01 DTS I was looking at the oil pan the last time I changed the oil. It looked to me like it came right out with nothing in the way at all. Am I nuts? It's like oil pan on one side and trans on the other. Exhaust goes in between with the transaxle brace joining the two.

Oil pan goes over exhaust, where you can't get it out no matter what you try as long as that exhaust crossover is there.

I have to look at this again. That part of the exhaust can't be unhooked and dropped out of the way?

Ok I looked so what's it's usually cost to have the gasket replaced?

Just go here http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...d-my-leak.html

birdman66 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Red face Re: Oil pan gasket leak!

Hi there,

I have a 94 Cadillac Deville with the 4.9 litre engine. I just recently put an oil pan gasket on and no you do not have to pull the engine or transmission to do it. You do have to pull the exhaust crossover between the front and back exhaust manifold though and it is not hard. Both ends of the pipe have two bolts that hold it to either manifold and then you have to take the two bolts off that hold it to the exhaust pipe that leads to the cat converter. You also have to take the starter off as it covers a couple of the bolts. Also remove the transmission cover, it has three bolts that hold it on as it covers a couple of the bolts.

Now for putting it back together, use lock tite on the bolts and do not over tighten these bolts as they will squish the gasket and start a leak. Tighten bolts from the center of the pan outwards to the end so that they are snug. Then go back and tighten one and a half turns from the center outward. Then once that is done go back and go one turn more on all of them and your done. Also remember the lock tite on the bolts before installing them.

I have heard people say torgue the oil pan bolts, but that is a bad idea and nowhere in the factory manual does it say to torgue oil pan bolts. Do not trust manuals bought at Walmart, Autozone, etc, there are all kinds of errors in those books. Get a factory book from a GM dealer if you need to do work that requires torqueing, etc.

While you are at it check the front seal in the front cover for the crankshaft, mine was leaking as well with the oil pan gasket and I missed it the first time and still had a small drip after replacing the oil pan set. In fact it is a good idea to check all gaskets while your under the car so that you can save time and money and replace anything else that has a leak.

I used to work on these cars for a living but got out of it because of the way dealers pay. I hope this helps with your car.

4.9 and N* are 2 very different animals in 2 very different cars. In the N* cars you simply can not get the oil pan off to change the gasket. It's not a normal oil pan it's a lot larger and the exhaust crossover is NOT removable at that point.. The engine has to come out to do the job correctly.

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6

Why did you dig up a thread this old to ask your question?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.