Cadillac Owners Forum banner

94 Seville-Turn signals not working, smoking?

739 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Ranger 
#1 ·
About three weeks ago, a slight electrical smell and some smoke came from my '94 Seville SLS steering column, then last week the turn signals just stopped working and the security light came and remains on.
Has any one else had this problem? How can I correct, or is this a job for the dealer?

Thanks

Dan

#4 ·
Find and pull the fuse for the air bag. Wait for a few minutes as it retains power for a bit. Then you should be able to pull it without any problems. Just treat it like a loaded gun and don't look down the barrel. When you set it down, do so bag side up.

Lock plate tool is hard to discribe. It compresses the lock plate spring so that you can remove a snap ring that retains it. I have done it without the tool using a few screw drivers, 3 hands and many many invented curse words. You'll know what I mean when you get to it. The tool is so simple one could be made, which I will do if I ever have to pull one again. It is basically a flat bottomed "U" with a bolt threaded through the bottom. The bolt is then threaded into the column shaft and the legs of the "U" push down on the plare, compressing the spring so that the retaining ring can be pried out of the groove. Hope that word picture make some sense. The FSM would have the picture and proceedure. None in the Tech Tips section that I am aware of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.