How do I tell if my headgasket was repaired?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, How do I tell if my headgasket was repaired? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was talking to a local car dealership about N* engines and one of the workers told me that they ...
    weister42 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

How do I tell if my headgasket was repaired?

I was talking to a local car dealership about N* engines and one of the workers told me that they sold a beautiful white 99 Deville with only 55,000 miles for 11k. The catch is the car had a bad headgasket and they repaired it. The worker, not shy to comment on their vehicles, told me that they didn't tell the buyer that the engine had a major failure...

When I got my Deville over two years ago it had about 98,000 miles on it, but I got it really cheap from a GM dealership with no warranty. This kinda leads me to think that maybe my car had a headgasket failure before. How do I tell if my motor had such a repair?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Re: How do I tell if my headgasket was repaired?

I can't answer the question but I don't think having the work done makes the car worth less. Do you? Seems to me they'd be able to get more for the car.

The only thing major that goes wrong with these cars has already been fixed on this one sir, that's why it's a little more money.

Am I wrong? I would think more toward the fact that the dealer knows the coolant hasn't been changed in 10 years would prompt them to sell it for less with no warranty.
    Ownership:
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

CadiJeff is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1981 CoupeDeville, 2 1990 Eldorados, 1994ETC ,1992STS

pretty much if/when your head gasket fails you will know, If the HG was properly fixed (timeserts) you got the deal because if the HG's do fail then you don't have to spring for the expensive part of the repair. I wouldn't worry about it.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Thats what I said
    Ownership:
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

EDBSO is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

If the head gasket has been repaired it has been repaired at a dealer as most repair facilities stay away from them. If it was done at the dealership then there is a record of it. Take the vin in and ask for a complete repair history. I did that and got the record of all repairs, tows, free rentals and maintenance since day one for my car.

bill6ft6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I agree that a proper timesert repair would add value to the car, as I think most on this forum would; most caddy buyers at the dealership are not as aware of the "hg" issue, nor would the salesman want to put any kind of cloud or doubt over the sale or their product.

WRT

xxcaddytech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

as --edbso-- said ask your svc advisor to run a v.i.s.s. it will show the svc history for your cadillac ..

cost is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Im new at this, but i can tell you that i bought my 95 Eldorado with the overheating problem,fixed the heads and "everything was ok" then i blew up the engine : ( got another one from junkyard (rollover STS 96 35k miles on it) i paid 700 bucks including installation and it was then i noticed the reduced power from the (fixed) overheated engine, plus when we tore apart the old engine to fix overheating most of the components were not 100% 0k.

I do not recommend fixing heads cause most likely the N* engine overheats hard very quickly , sorry if you dont understand me very well but my english is not that good (im in Mexico By the way)
    Happy New Year to All

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.