01 Eldo - 100shot Nitrous - track results
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 01 Eldo - 100shot Nitrous - track results in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm sure some of you will have questions. So please ask away! I'm fully prepared to answer any nitrous related ...
    wydopnthrtl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

01 Eldo - 100shot Nitrous - track results

I'm sure some of you will have questions. So please ask away! I'm fully prepared to answer any nitrous related questions.

Car: 2001 Eldorado ESC w/275hp northstar. 4300lbs w/me in it. racetested.com wet kit w/70 and 100 shots. Data logged rpms, timing, and IAT temps on all nitrous runs.

Baseline ET ran before and after nitrous runs were identical: 15.2 @ 94mph
    70shot = 14.3s at 99mph
    100shot = a best ET of: 13.95@101mph
    **There is a video of this run and I'll post it as soon as I get it from the guy who took it**

Couple points I'd like to make for starters.
    1) Nitrous is HIGHLY mis-understood and feared. Reason is that nearly all kits are not designed to deliver the N02/F/air charge to the intake valve in a reasonable way. Simply put.. nitrous at 1000psi and fuel at 50psi.. which one is going to enter the intake first? The racetested.com kit delivers them at the same time which is where the power increase and safety comes from.

They place the jets in the pulsoids vs in the injector. This eliminates the pressure -vs- pipe length issue and *NO* initial lean outs can happen. (which is the culpret for all the horror stories experienced with nitrous)

2) Typical nitrous kits compound that pressure differance with long distances between the solinoids and injector. That then hits the motor with 100% of the nitrous flow at once. (no fuel for the first moment or two. The motor goes extremely lean so it's no wonder motors blow! Racetested does'nt follow these faulty ways at all.

3) Ramp up time / power curve -vs- vehicle dynamics. A fwd 4000lb car just is going to be slow off the line. The way to keep this perfectly safe and quick is to ramp up a nitrous shot. You've heard of "staged kits"? Well, this kit is a infinately ramping up of the nitrous. It's not multi staged... It's progressive. It uses a controler to control only two custom made solinoids that turn of/on in rapid succession. What this does is allows you to tailor the power curve so you feel no "hit". If you percieve anything but the motor reving quicker.. it's not set up right.
    Sat night I found my best 60fts of 2.1 seconds by ramping from 15hp to 100hp worth of nitrous over 0.7 seconds timeframe.

4) Purging: Inferior nitrous kits have to have a purge. racetested does'nt have a purge for power levels under 150hp. They designed the system to keep the nitrous in liquid form from the bottle to the jet at all times. Besides.. it's very wastefull to purge nitrous at $4-5 per pound.

As far mods to my eldo.. I've opened up the snorkle area of the stock intake air box and added a K&N panel filter. I've changed all the fluids, and I've cut back the ground strap on a set of NGK TR6 plugs. (gapped at 0.040) Every thing else on the car is factory original w/52k miles on it. (Including the tires)

It's my opinion.. that a more free flowing exhaust would help. Up towards the top of 2nd and into 3rd it's just not pulling like I think it should. Down low though and it's H-A-U-L-I-N.

In this timeslip I was up against a older gent w/a bone stock 02 trans am. He was supprised to say the least. He asked "Does that thing have the northstar?"

One other notable run.. I spanked a modified SRT4 neon. He was seeing those vertical tailight at my 14.1 to his 14.3

Rich

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 01 Eldo - 100shot Nitrous - track results

Good times! Especially for a FWD land boat. Couple things-

Quote Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
    4) Purging: Inferior nitrous kits have to have a purge. racetested does'nt have a purge for power levels under 150hp. They designed the system to keep the nitrous in liquid form from the bottle to the jet at all times. Besides.. it's very wastefull to purge nitrous at $4-5 per pound.

I've cut back the ground strap on a set of NGK TR6 plugs. (gapped at 0.040) Every thing else on the car is factory original w/52k miles on it. (Including the tires)
    How does it keep the nitrous liquid? That seems physically impossible...

I recommend a set another range colder, TR7's. Nitrous isn't something you want to make any mistakes with. Running too cold a range is not dangerous to an engine. Running too hot is. Ground strap mod is good.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Awesome! I'm sure an exhaust on there would open it up like you said! I wonder what my STS with the Corsa system would do with 100 HP shot???

eldorado1,

Two good points! Plugs, I have a lot of experience with these in my lightning. And it turns out they are one range colder than stock for a northstar. I did'nt pull a plug at the track to check them.. but I've sprayed about 20lbs of nitrous on them so far w/no problems. And my truck pushes 15psi on top of the 100shot. Those TR6s are a very tough plug.

Liquid form. Nitrous has to be maintained at a minimum pressure to remain liquid. *typical* nitrous lines are made very large (inside diameter) and made of rubber w/braided steel on the outside.

Racetested (and the UK counterpart wizards of nos) custom make a 5mm I.D. nylon pipe. There is also a braided kevlar pipe if you want to spend the extra money. (My engine pic shows the kevlar fuel supply hose)

Now.. anytime you take a liquid nitrous from a small opening to a large one the pressure drops and it boils. The supply line from the trunk to the pulsoids on my car is 14ft long. Had it been a typical braided one that would cause it to act like a HUGE reservior. The nitrous passes by the bottle valve and boils as it fills the supply line. A purge is needed to get rid of the gas.

In a nut shell.. racetested has a stepping effect from the bottom of the bottle to the jet. Jet being the smallest orfice and the pick up tube being the largest. It's basicly a funnel effect so the liquid nitrous stays in that form as there is no pressure drop like with "typical kits". So.. no purge is needed. Even when you disconnect the bottle and put it in again there is'nt but about .2-.3 seconds of air in the line. Generally you won't even notice it on the first WOT.

For more research you guys can go to thier web sites: racetested.com & noswizard.com I'm not a sales weenie for them or anything. Just trying to get the word out that this company has took a good hard look at science and 1/4mile results. And they have proof that this design is superior. Me spanking turbo neons and hanging with Trans Am's is a fun result.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
    eldorado1,

Two good points! Plugs, I have a lot of experience with these in my lightning. And it turns out they are one range colder than stock for a northstar. I did'nt pull a plug at the track to check them.. but I've sprayed about 20lbs of nitrous on them so far w/no problems. And my truck pushes 15psi on top of the 100shot. Those TR6s are a very tough plug.
    Yep, they are tough. Northstar plugs come "hot" from the factory for emissions reasons, mainly. They need to heat up quick and stay hot so they burn off carbon even on short 1-2 mile trips. The problem is this is marginal for performance on even a stock engine. For performance applications, it is recommended to run 1 range colder than stock on otherwise stock engines, and 2 ranges colder than stock on engines making significantly more power than stock. That's *minimum*. I really think you should consider switching to TR7*'s. They're cheap compared to the TR7IX's that I use on my northstar.

*I guess they don't use the TR designation on colder than TR6? I guess BR7EF is the part number. You might want to double check that. The TR7IX is the correct part number for the iridiums though,

Thanks I did'nt know they were considered hot from the factory.

This would explain why I was seeing the ground straps on my bosch +2 plugs getting over heated on just a 35shot. Good info and it makes sense.

btw: With the ground strap cut back and a 0.04 gap it idles perfectly smooth. Which based on the threads I've read on here anything but a OEM plug would cause your motor to run like a single piston briggs & stratton.

I will be taking the kit off here in a month or two. I don't use it on the street other than to just experiment and cause waves on this forum. Only reason I went down this path was with the caddy was because my trucks not running. I'm going through torque withdrawls and had to spray something this year.

I might get it out to the track one more time next month.. we'll see.

Rich

eww! bosch!

the727kid is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC & 1994 Pontiac Firehawk

Can I get some info on these NGK plugs? If I switch them out (I don't think mine have ever been switched, I just hit 90k) to these spark plugs will I see a performance increase?

If your not spraying I'd suggest just sticking with a stock replacement. And preferably one that has an unshrouded spark. (like the bosch +2)

The *NGK TR6* plugs I'm using are only in there for the nitrous. They are a tough plug and I have in depth experience in reading them. As soon as I stop spraying for the year I'll put the bosch's back in.

Rich

HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

The TR7IX is a GM plug?

Quote Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
    The TR7IX is a GM plug?
    It is an NGK, which I believe is the current manufacturer chosen for 2005+(?) northstar spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by the727kid View Post
    If I switch them out (I don't think mine have ever been switched, I just hit 90k) to these spark plugs will I see a performance increase?
    No. Despite what you've seen in the movies/advertisements/commercials, spark plugs won't gain you power. Independent dyno testing can verify that. The Bosh +2's +4's and similar don't offer any advantage over regular plugs, and as people on here can attest, they can cause idle misfires in our motors.

the727kid is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC & 1994 Pontiac Firehawk

Then what did you mean by "For performance applications, it is recommended to run 1 range colder than stock on otherwise stock engines, and 2 ranges colder than stock on engines making significantly more power than stock."

weister42 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

Video please

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by weister42 View Post
    Video please

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.