Northstar Oil Usage - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Oil Usage in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by tateos The car is nice...but I still say I LOVE the front yard Sub! Tks..........Just beyond the ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Northstar Oil Usage

Quote Originally Posted by tateos View Post
    The car is nice...but I still say I LOVE the front yard Sub!
    Tks..........Just beyond the big oak tree over the car hood we have a 100 yard rifle range that goes down the clearing to the right.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

O.k. gotta get my 2 cents in on this one, althought the thread is old. Got me a 96 Deville VIN Y in October of 2008 from Cadillac of Sioux Falls (SD). Had 38,947, now she's got a tick over 65. Always kept the oil within range (at the "halfway" mark), and I do change it nearly on the dot at 3,000. I'm a 21 year old with a lead foot, so the WOTs are no issue. Doesn't burn a drop of oil, doesn't leak, and she runs like a top (save the aging plugs). The 4.9 is a decent motor, and it's a whole different ball game compard to the N*, but it just doesn't offer the performance, economy, and enjoyment that the ol' N* does. Is the N* flawed? Probably not. IMHO, it's more of a negligence issue on the part of the less-than-enthusiastic owners out there. Sure, it's not the hottest thing out there, but it will shame 95% of the stuff out there. Besides, who says you can't tune the PCM or engineer some new direct injection heads?

Trouble with DI heads on a Northstar is the central spark plug location surrounded by 4 valves - and up top, cams and valve springs/retainers around the plug well.

Talk to AJ or Lynden Wester about tweaking the PCM on that early OBD-II engine.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Darn it, I forgot about that I will be doing the PCM tuning though.

DO NOT expect any miracles - or even close - on a VIN Y drivetrain tune. The single best "performance" mod - and it will get you maybe 2 - 3 hp - is a custom bent cat-back exhaust system. $$$$.$$

Mark D is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Seville STS 1998 Seville STS 1995 Seville SLS 2000 ET

I came into this thread late, and have not taken the time (because I don't have that much time) to read all the posts.
    But I have read the first few and some others.
    I thought I'd add this insight, or maybe I should call it my own experience with oil consumption.

First, I have a '95 VIN9 in a STS that has 227K miles on it. It uses about a half quart of oil between changes at around 4000 miles.
    Second, I have a '98 VIN9 in a STS that has 200 K miles on it. It's the car I just did head gaskets on.
    We (wife and I) got that car with about 95K miles on it back in 2002. It burned about a quart of oil in 800 to 900 miles.
    But as time has gone on, the consumption continued to drop to the point where it now burns about a quart in 2500 or so miles. To me, a guy who's used to cars from the '60s and 70's where typical consumption was a quart in 1000 miles, or less, this is just fine.
    At least it has gotten better, not worse.
    Is adding a quart of oil every few weeks that big of a deal? At least knowing you need to check the oil will get one to open the hood and look around for any unknown maintenance issues that might be coming up, like antifreeze leaking, worn belts, etc. A contientious car owner will check things under the hood at least every week or so, won't he? Perfect time to check the oil and add if needed.
    It'll burn less if you don't top it right to the top of the dip stick markings.
    Mark D.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.