Northstar Oil Usage - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Oil Usage in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Exactly, you're getting it now. Value is relative. I wouldn't be willing to pay as much for a N* Cadillac ...
    drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

Re: Northstar Oil Usage

Exactly, you're getting it now.

Value is relative. I wouldn't be willing to pay as much for a N* Cadillac as you would since I don't want one - and vice versa. It's all subjective.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

This ol' girl isn't exactly "junk" either -

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

drew,
    how much would you be willing to pay for my car?
    pics are in my profile
    mileage is around 139k
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    This ol' girl isn't exactly "junk" either -
    Man that is a sweet ride..

-------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my Northstar powered phone

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    drew,
    how much would you be willing to pay for my car?
    pics are in my profile
    mileage is around 139k

Tough question. Hard to answer the question "what would you pay for something you don't want". That said, I wouldn't give a nickel for it. It's worth nothing to me -how do I put a price on a car I don't want to own? A car's value is not what KBB says, it's not what the average on the market is, it's not even what you think it's worth: it's what you can sell it to the projected buyer for. The buyer controls the price.

In this case, me being the projected buyer, it's worthless.

good answer (i guess) ...

maybe i should have asked what you thought my car was worth
    (but i suspect i'd get the same or similar answer)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

What do I think someone else would pay for it? 140k mile, 12 year old Cadillac, k-body Deville... I don't know, $3k or so sounds fair to me. Why do you ask?

Just curious for the opinion of someone who thinks that they're not worth much... i've been told (and seen on used car lots) that it's worth 4-5 grand

i don't plan on selling it any time soon either... i'm not really into flipping cars, but i only paid $2800 for it a year ago

For better or for worse, the "worth" (and cost) of an object - cars be damned - is what the market says it is. Personal opinion has absolutely no say in the matter. Someone pooh-poohs your wares and tells you that whatever you're selling is worthless, you look them in the eye, ask them to FO, and look elsewhere.

People like that know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

I'm trying to sell a condominium boat slip in a depressed boating market. The brokers and tax assessors say it's "worth" $55,500. I'll be lucky to get $45k, tops.

tigers2007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 STS AWD V6, '99 Deville

I'm surprised no one has brought this up in this thread yet; and its a question I've had for a while: if my car is burning a quart every 1000 to 1500 miles, then can I extend my oil change intervals? Right now I'm doing Rotella 10W-30 and PF61 filter every 4000 and the car is at the 4k mark. So at this point, half the oil is "fresher" than whats left from the original 7qts. This car is my freeway-commuter for my 75 mile r/t country-to-the-city ride (95% expressway).

For all of those potential Northstar Performance customers, I had jake stud the engine and I think I have put on about 9000 miles and its been running perfect. Last week it was in the 90's and it never went above 222 degrees (95MPH on a 95 degree freeway for 15 minutes). If i'm driving like I normally do, it is at 200-208 when I'm 65MPH and cruisin. I have done MANY WOT's in this beast too.

If this is the '99, you can easily go by the Oil Life Monitor. Even with NO oil usage, 4,000 miles, particularly 4,000 miles of suburban/highway driving, is WAY too early to change the oil & filter.

You are getting less engine wear in a year of freeway driving than in a month of city driving. The Shell oil is just perfect for the '99.

Highway driving: Different car entirely, but my one of my daughters drives over 35,000 miles a year, all highway and Interstate. She just traded a Honda Civic in on a Hyundai Sonata. The Civic had 276,000 miles on it, was quiet as a mouse, and used not a drop of oil. Normal maintenance only - the head had never been off. My 1995 F-150 I-6 had 140,000 on it when traded. Perfect condition, all highway.

tigers2007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 STS AWD V6, '99 Deville

yeah thats what I was thinking. My dad and I were wondering if we technically have to ever change it at all as it gets refreshed 15% almost every 1000 miles. This car works perfectly and looks perfect. Maybe I can be the guinea pig and never do another oil change on it (maybe just a filter every 10k). Even though this car looks and drives new, its a beater and has no value to my father and is only a MPG-machine for me as my truck on gets like 18 on a good day.

i would theorize that if you're adding oil between oil changes that yes you could extend your interval past the 0%

BUT

i still wouldn't... because some of the oil (probably most) will be past 0% and even though the OLM has a 100% safety built in you don't want to risk it

i wouldn't have any qualms about going all the way down to 0% though

Yeah that ^^^

Just because the engine consumes (and/or leaks) some oil doesn't mean that adding oil "refreshes" the remainder - in addition to anti-wear additives, oil suspends and cleans dirt, soot, and wear particles from normal engine wear and use. When you change the oil and filter, preferably immediately after a long highway run, all the nasties are suspended in the oil and the drain action cleans out the contaminants. Todays metallurgy and engine buildiing techniques, as well as oil chemistry, allows oil changes to be spaced a LOT farther apart than when I was a new driver.

Back in the 50's and 60's the Kendall Oil two-fingered fist logo originally stood for "Kendall - The 2,000 mile oil". Times, they are a'changin'.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

The car is nice...but I still say I LOVE the front yard Sub!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.