Northstar Oil Usage - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Oil Usage in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by Destroyer History has shown the 4.9 to be the superior overall motor as compared with the N*. ...
    drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Re: Northstar Oil Usage

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    History has shown the 4.9 to be the superior overall motor as compared with the N*. It's funny to see 4.9 owners state that there cars are not "N* powered" as a selling point when they sell their cars.
    I'm a little biased being a 4.X fan, but I also find them to be superior engines. Of course, they are very basic and aren't nearly as impressive from a technical standpoint, but I think the end result to the user, which is very important, is superior. Rock solid reliability, low cost of operation, great powerband that offsets the low peak power numbers, with mileage that's just as good as the Northstars.

That said, the 4.X couldn't go on any longer, and a replacement was necessary. I thin , fundamentally, the Northstar was the perfect fit. I just think they could have done a better job updating the Northstar's trouble spots (rather than riding them out for 20 years) and it's performance (again, instead of riding it out for 20 years). The Northstar needed a much more significant update than it received in 2000, IMO.

As far as sales ads, I've noticed the same and eventually assumed that the N* has developed a poor reputation for the public outside of enthusiasts.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Its an '02........................give it time.
    BUMP !!! "Time": Is 3 years and 2 months enough ?? .............and nothing - nothing is any different from Post #32. Matter of fact the engine is a regular fuel highway runner, sees about 8,000 miles/year, and the last quart of oil went right at 4,600 miles. No complaints.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

My N* powered Cadillac has been very reliable in the year+ that i've owned it ...

i've been on two long trips ... alternator is the only major repair that i've done

and i would hate* to have a 4.9 powered vehicle

IMHO the N* is by far the superior engine ... and then on top of that there is all the other technology in my car that is superior to the tech in the 4.9 powered vehicles

* - hate is the wrong word here but is quick and easy so i'll use it even though it might be inflammatory
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

We lose sight that every Northstar failure or shortcoming in these Forums represents a tiny fraction of total FWD Northstar production.

Let's guess, for openers, that over the 8 years of CF there have been 8,000 FWD Northstar threads of problems from 8,000 different posters. That's 1,000/year, a bit high in my estimation.

Quick - as of December, 2003 (the last of the predominantly problematic FWD Northstar production) how many engines were built - TOTAL ???

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Quick - as of December, 2003 (the last of the predominantly problematic FWD Northstar production) how many engines were built - TOTAL ???
    a decade's worth.

what do i win?

counter debate point will state that there's a ton of failures not reported here...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    counter debate point will state that there's a ton of failures not reported here...
    True - but how does one get the true "big picture" for FWD Northstar and assume that no other vehicle engine has problems in order to place the FWD Northstar at the bottom of the heap ???

Sometimes a reputation earned can't be explained - it is what it is. I can't give scientific evidence as to why, but what Destroyer said about John Doe taking the time to advertise that "this is the better 4.9, not the Northstar" certainly occurs on a semi-frequent basis - and that has nothing to do with reported failures or perception on cadillacforums.com .

EDIT: Hell, 10 seconds after opening a craigslist tab I find this, posted today. Perfect example.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/2429066862.html

Whatever the reasons, the N*'s reliability reputation, whether it's accurate or not, appears to be lower than average. It's not because "no other vehicle engine has problems".

That CL ad doesn't mention anything about one motor being better than the other. It just clearly states which engine the vehicle in the ad has. Since 1994 was a year where there might be confusion on that point it makes sense that they would state clearly which engine is in the car. "4.9L NOT the Northstar" does not sound like an endorsement of one or the other to me

Oh, sorry man, here you go :

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/2422517419.html

I know I used the 4.9 in my '95 as marketing leverage when I sold it I'll never know if it ever helped or not, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

This week it's Northstars and 4.9 GM engines; next week it will be 4.6 Ford OHC's and turbo v-6's. The week after that it will be Mercedes something-or-anothers. My reliability opinion goes to the Olds 455 RWD engine series, but then, engine opinions are like buttholes: everybody has one.

This thread is doing pretty well for 7.5 years old !

Hmm, bottom line reliability opinion? That's really hard to pinpoint for me. I'm gonna have to stay with fuel injection on this one and say the later (post-2002) 2V Ford 4.6. Too bad they were dogs though.

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    Sometimes a reputation earned can't be explained - it is what it is. I can't give scientific evidence as to why, but what Destroyer said about John Doe taking the time to advertise that "this is the better 4.9, not the Northstar" certainly occurs on a semi-frequent basis - and that has nothing to do with reported failures or perception on cadillacforums.com .

EDIT: Hell, 10 seconds after opening a craigslist tab I find this, posted today. Perfect example.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/2429066862.html

Whatever the reasons, the N*'s reliability reputation, whether it's accurate or not, appears to be lower than average. It's not because "no other vehicle engine has problems".

Hmmm.....
    If I'm out shopping for a 15 YO car, I'm doing so to have a nice car that hopefully won't be expensive to keep on the road. If I was shopping for a high performance luxury sedan, I'd be down at the dealer picking up a new CTS-V. Given my "needs", a 4.9 with it's MUCH easier/cheaper rebuild makes MUCH more sense.

what about the person shopping for the best cadillac they can find under $6000?? it's not going to be a 4.9L that's for sure

there's a lot of room between a 15YO 4.9L car and a new CTS-V ... lots of northstars in that room

Yeah there are, somebody's gotta buy them. As long as it's not me, I'm happy . It's clear that many others out there feel the same. Good thing "best" is a relative term. There's something to make everyone happy. One man's junk is another man's treasure, right?

Sucks to be the guy who thought that gold was junk...

although i'm glad that the original owner of my '99 didn't' think it was junk... it sure doesn't look like junk

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.