Northstar Oil Usage - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Oil Usage in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by Ranger You wouldn't have bought it just because it uses a little oil? Oil useage is not ...
    Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Re: Northstar Oil Usage

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    You wouldn't have bought it just because it uses a little oil? Oil useage is not such a bad thing when you understand it. Go to the top left of this page. Click on Technical Archives and read up on it.
    Yeah, right Ranger. Its a good thing right?. You get to add a quart or so of FRESH oil every few weeks and thats good for the motor right?. Bunch of f'ing genius's at GM, I'll tell ya. Every auto maker should put out engines that burn oil.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    For the flip side of Destroyer's oil coin, my 02 STS uses a quart every 3,500 - 4,000 miles, leaks not one drop, and has not received one ounce of DEXCOOL since 11-21-05, and that includes after a coolant drain and refill last September. I change the oil and filter, fill to halfway up the dipstick hashmark, and that's where it stays for 3 - 5 months.

Lumping all Northstars into the same unhealthy group is patently wrong. Some are mechanically perfect, most are in the middle of the curve, and some are just plain awful. You never hear from the first two groups in a forum: you only get some of the last group represented by people searching for answers.

It has been posted in the performance threads several times by different posters, but I'll post it again: If you try to keep a N* filled to the top of the dipstick hashmark the engine will rapidly get rid of that half quart. RAPIDLY. Run it between the bottom and middle of the hashmark.
    Its an '02........................give it time.

ehanso is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS

I have a 99 STS with 105,000 miles. It was leaking some oil and found a stripped head bolt. This was fixed and now it uses oil (about 1 quart every 600 miles. Replaced the PCV valve and it uses a little less. before the repair it used maybe a quart every 3,00o miles. Also the mileage has dropped off from about 25 average to 20. It also has stalled 3 times in the last few weeks when I lift off the gas when coming to an intersection. Any comments on how to research this? Thanks

STSj90 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 STS N* TOTALED

Quote Originally Posted by ehanso View Post
    I have a 99 STS with 105,000 miles. It was leaking some oil and found a stripped head bolt. This was fixed and now it uses oil (about 1 quart every 600 miles. Replaced the PCV valve and it uses a little less. before the repair it used maybe a quart every 3,00o miles. Also the mileage has dropped off from about 25 average to 20. It also has stalled 3 times in the last few weeks when I lift off the gas when coming to an intersection. Any comments on how to research this? Thanks

Check your codes as sub sugested...

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If good ol' Destroyer is lurking, he can take my quote from Post #32 and slide it up here, 8.3 months later. To date, in order to maintain the oil level at halfway up the hashmark, I have added 12 oz. of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, and this covers a round trip to CT and another to OH, all highway. No coolant. 3 runs to 132 mph (GPS).

ehanso is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS

I did a code check and got some codes B1983, B1344, B1652, B1760, P1599, P1617 and U1064. The ones that seem most critical are P1599 Engine stall detected and P1617 Engine oil level switch circuit. What should I do next?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I did a code check and got some codes B1983, B1344, B1652, B1760, P1599, P1617 and U1064. The ones that seem most critical are P1599 Engine stall detected and P1617 Engine oil level switch circuit. What should I do next?
    Start a new thread.

brmurph is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 Concours

My 98 Concours did the same thing. Before the headgaskets blew I was burning 1 quart every 1700-2000 miles, after the headgaskets were replaced it bumped up to 1 quart every 800 miles, 50,000 miles later and still one quart every 800 miles. I agree with some of the post above, I think it is a valve guide problem as the oil seems to build up then releases on WOT, I can WOT every couple hundered miles on a trip and see the smoke.. No WOT no smoke..

ehanso, All your codes are benign. Clear them and drive the car. Establish a code history, then begin a new code thread. Remember that when you clear codes the system needs 2 weeks of normal driving to settle out in order to pass an OBD emissions test.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by brmurph View Post
    My 98 Concours did the same thing. Before the headgaskets blew I was burning 1 quart every 1700-2000 miles, after the headgaskets were replaced it bumped up to 1 quart every 800 miles, 50,000 miles later and still one quart every 800 miles. I agree with some of the post above, I think it is a valve guide problem as the oil seems to build up then releases on WOT, I can WOT every couple hundered miles on a trip and see the smoke.. No WOT no smoke..
    I have seen that smoke too, but I believe it is carbon - it is a black, sooty smoke, not bluish like oil smoke.

I just reached 4,000 miles since my HG project, and I realized I had not checked the oil since then. I was surprised to see I needed to add 2 quarts to get the dipstick back up to 1/2 way between add and full. The low oil message never came on - neither did the low oil pressure. I suppose 2 quarts in 4,000 miles is pretty good at 100K+ miles - everything on the engine is original, except for the head gaskets and bolts and the other gaskets and seals I replaced during the project.

Took a bit of digging, but this is the perfect thread to share this tidbit............

GM TSB #02-06-01-009C of Oct. 23, 2003 gives quite a rundown on Northstar oil consumption, reasons, fixes, and combustion chamber cleaning. Well worth the read.......maybe one of our techs can post the entire thing....it isn't too long, BUT there are two points that bear repeating and which will raise a lot of eyebrows:

1. The current GM accepted oil consumption figure for a maintained moderate-mileage Northstar engine from the 1996 - 2003 year group is 2000 miles per quart.
    2. If the oil level is at the MAX mark, or close, on the dipstick, then the engine is a half quart overfilled and the PCV system will rapidly scavenge the excess oil by sending it to the intake manifold to be burned. (This alone may lead to perceived high oil consumption.)

If you can't wait, subscribe your car to www.alldatadiy.com and read the TSB section. Eye-opener. Actually, anyone who has arrived since mid-2007 should read this entire thread - both pages.

indianavince is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Errr... My Northstar 2000 SLS with 135,000 is asking for a quart in 300 miles after a couple years of a quart every 1000 and a quart in 2000 back at 80,000 miles. I have "exercised" it... going to try 4 quarts of DELVAC and some more exercise.... I'll update you after that.

Quote Originally Posted by indianavince View Post
    Errr... My Northstar 2000 SLS with 135,000 is asking for a quart in 300 miles after a couple years of a quart every 1000 and a quart in 2000 back at 80,000 miles. I have "exercised" it... going to try 4 quarts of DELVAC and some more exercise.... I'll update you after that.
    Go back and read the entire thread - and post #28. You obviously fall into the "awful" end of the bell curve, while I'm still fortunately in the "over 4,000 miles/quart" end.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Holy smoking tail pipe Batman. Now THAT"S oil usage. Can't help but wonder if you have some other underlying problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Cipriano View Post
    There has been a lot discussed on Northstar oil consumption. Search in the archives for more info. It's not unusual for a Northstar to use more oil than some other engines. It's a high performance engine and has to allow a little more oil to the top rings for lubrication as as well as down the 32 valve guides.

Design intent for oil consumption would put the engine at about 4000 miles per quart consumption but due to the variables in production parameters there are engines that will use 1 quart per 1000-1500 miles - perfectly normal and acceptable - but more oil consumption than "intended". Nothing will be wrong with the engine but the continuous oil adds are aggravating. If this is the case then understand that the engine is probably going to run a long, long time like that as the cylinder walls, rings, valve guides, etcetera like all that oil that you are putting in and the continuous oil adds fortify the used oil in the sump and replenish the additive package in the oil that is slowly depleted under normal usage.

Comparing the 4.9 to the Northstar is an apples to oranges deal. The 4.9 is an excellent engine for it's purpose but does not offer nearly the performance, durability, fuel economy and emission control capability of the Northstar. The Northstar is a high output engine and likes to be "used".

The best way to minimize oil consumption in a Northstar is to keep the sump filled slightly low (many are continuously overfilled) by only checking the oil level when hot and only filling the sump with 7 quarts of oil (7.5 with a dry filter at a change.) A typical 8 quart fill at a change is "required" to put the oil level on the full mark when cold but is actually overfilling the crankcase promoting oil consumption.

Use conventional mineral oil (synthetic is not required at all) as it tends to provide better oil consumption.

And last but not least, air the engine out frequently. It likes to be used and red-line upshifts at wide-open throttle help promote clean combustion chambers, exercise the piston rings to keep them free of carbon buildup and keep them mobile and to ensure the engine is broken in and maximum sealing is obtained. The Northstar does not like to be babied around. It likes to be run hard frequently with a WOT blast in merging or whatever. Even engines reported to use 1 quart per 1500 miles tend to improve to 2500 miles per quart or better when subjected to a regular schedule of use and "abuse".
    Right Anthony. Great advice! Refilling oil and having to beat on a car constantly so it runs good is truly a luxury. Blowing through a quart of oil every thousand or so miles is NOT normal for a ANY motor no matter high performance it is (and don't fool yourself man, a Northstar is not a very high performance motor by todays standards). Constant WOT's is akin to begging for H/G failure.

History has shown the 4.9 to be the superior overall motor as compared with the N*. It's funny to see 4.9 owners state that there cars are not "N* powered" as a selling point when they sell their cars.
    drewsdeville and drewsdeville like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.