Northstar Oil Usage - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Oil Usage in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; one thing i don't see mentioned here is that the n* uses low tension rings. (mostly used in race engines) ...
    xxcaddytech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Northstar Oil Usage

one thing i don't see mentioned here is that the n* uses low tension rings. (mostly used in race engines) it does mean oil consumption BUT it frees up horsepower. and saves the precious cross hatch pattern.. that is tha main reason we see almost no ridge when torn down. its harder to wear out if no pressure is being applied and a thin coat of oil is inbetween the surfaces.. btw how come lexus can build a 24v motors with none of these problems and deadly reliabliity and gm can't?? --i own both--

hkaiman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

does anyone know of any additives for the oil to help burn off the carbon from the rings?? I hear that the carbon buildup can cause the oil consumption.

krimson_cardnal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 96DeVille

Periodic WOT added once a month on a quiet open stretch of highway. K_C

what can I add to the oil to help burn off the carbon on the rings?? I head this helps stop the oil consumption.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Go to the top left of this page. Click on Technical Archives and read up. Nothing you can put in the oil will help.

Periodic WOT added once a month on a quiet open stretch of highway. K_C

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

hkaiman, .......If you're bound and determined to pour something liquid into your engine one way or another, first Google " top tier gasoline " and read up on Chevron's fuel additive/engine cleaner TECHRON and the gasolines which contain it. Also, follow Ranger's advice and go to the upper black section of this page, bottom left corner, and read the technical Archive, particularly the section on oil consumption. If you still haven't had enough, start going back through this Forum, page by page, and open threads of interest.

As has been said check the Archive.

Think of the NorthStar as a cardiovascular system. Put the correct amounts of the right thing in it and exercise to raise the heart rate. It's like the current Cadillac ads say, when you turn your engine on does it return the favor. Raising the heart rate - both yours and the engines is one of the better things you can do for both. WOT once a month keeps you and your NorthStar alive and well. It certainly helps keep the dreaded carbon levels down and gets the rings spinning. The use of any Top Tier fuel will also help keep the gunk out of the air ways and other lost corners allowing a deep breath of fresh air.
    Dr. K_C

thanks Dr. K_C that was a neat way of putting things.
    I will do that..

JohnnyO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado, '04 DeVille

2000 and newer N*s tend to use less oil than the earlier ones. According to a TSB I had from GM, it is not necessary to add oil unless or until the Low Oil light comes on unless you are going to race it. As mentioned, when changing the oil only add 7 quarts with filter and exercise it once in a while. My mother's '99 burns oil like a two-stroke, my dad's '04 doesn't burn a drop. On the '99 I switched to Valvoline Max Life (although the car does not have high miles on it) and it burns somewhat less oil.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy94 View Post
    Hey,
    I am looking for some information on the oil usage of the northstar engine. I am looking at a 2000 STS. If I purchase it, it will be my second Caddy. I have heard that the northstar engine requires a quart of oil every 1400 miles. For the past six years, I have driven my 94 Caddy with the 4.9L from Arizona to Florida with no loss of oil. Does anyone out there have a northstar engine? If so, can you share some information on this topic?

Buddy94
    I put 10k miles on my '98 Deville, had 88k when I bought it and 98k when I sold it with a blown head gasket(fully disclosed to new owner). It burned a quart of oil about every 3 weeks. I wrote on here about it and found that oil consumption is another bad trait of the Northstar. Basically the Northstar HATES its fluids and spits 'em out one way or another. Oh yeah, they like to leak oil from the bottom too!.

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    I put 10k miles on my '98 Deville, had 88k when I bought it and 98k when I sold it with a blown head gasket(fully disclosed to new owner). It burned a quart of oil about every 3 weeks. I wrote on here about it and found that oil consumption is another bad trait of the Northstar. Basically the Northstar HATES its fluids and spits 'em out one way or another. Oh yeah, they like to leak oil from the bottom too!.

I have a 2000 Deville with Northstar and 70000 miles. It is really using the oil now. It just seems to dissappear. No smoke, no drip. nothing wet in engine.
    Just vanishes. I have to add a quart about every 800 to 1000 miles.
    I have been finding out this is very common for the engine. Wish I knew that before I bought it....
    hkaiman

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

For the flip side of Destroyer's oil coin, my 02 STS uses a quart every 3,500 - 4,000 miles, leaks not one drop, and has not received one ounce of DEXCOOL since 11-21-05, and that includes after a coolant drain and refill last September. I change the oil and filter, fill to halfway up the dipstick hashmark, and that's where it stays for 3 - 5 months.

Lumping all Northstars into the same unhealthy group is patently wrong. Some are mechanically perfect, most are in the middle of the curve, and some are just plain awful. You never hear from the first two groups in a forum: you only get some of the last group represented by people searching for answers.

It has been posted in the performance threads several times by different posters, but I'll post it again: If you try to keep a N* filled to the top of the dipstick hashmark the engine will rapidly get rid of that half quart. RAPIDLY. Run it between the bottom and middle of the hashmark.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Oil is cheap - I don't mind adding it once in awhile - what I do mind are leaks that leave a mess everywhere I go, like I had before I did my HG project and also changed all seals and gaskets, except for the 1/2 case.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by hkaiman View Post
    I have a 2000 Deville with Northstar and 70000 miles. It is really using the oil now. It just seems to dissappear. No smoke, no drip. nothing wet in engine.
    Just vanishes. I have to add a quart about every 800 to 1000 miles.
    I have been finding out this is very common for the engine. Wish I knew that before I bought it....
    hkaiman
    You wouldn't have bought it just because it uses a little oil? Oil useage is not such a bad thing when you understand it. Go to the top left of this page. Click on Technical Archives and read up on it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.