coolant pipes - replace or repair?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, coolant pipes - replace or repair? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Yesterday my Northstar in my 99 deville poured coolant out of the coolant pipe that runs behind the motor. It ...
    sedandeville99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

coolant pipes - replace or repair?

Yesterday my Northstar in my 99 deville poured coolant out of the coolant pipe that runs behind the motor. It starts infront of the waterpump and goes to thermastat area. It rotted out right infront of the waterpump so I figured that was it but turned out to be the pipe. I found the part numbers from cadillac #25671310 and 25688468. I did consider just cutting a section off and repairing it but i believe i'll just end up chasing the problem later on. Has anyone replace this? The to 10mm bolts on the back of the motor removed from the top or bottom of the motor? Any help on this would be most appreciated thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Re: coolant pipes - replace or repair?

I'd replace it. Where there's one hole, there's a few more waiting to rust through!

Thanks, i think i will replace it but it's gonna be a pain in the neck because i was just told in order for me to get these pipes out i need to drop the front of the engine craddle and tilt the motor forward enough to remove them. $80.00 in parts and two days of driveway hellish labor.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Yikes! I didn't realize it was that much of a pain either! You could do a temp fix, but like I said, it could be 1 week or 10 years before another hole develops! It's just better to fix it the right way the first time. Good luck on it, and let me know how it goes! Do you have a service manual for your car?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I seem to recall someone once doing this repair and running heater hose instead of the pipes because of the tight space issue. Something to consider.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

I think there are 2 sets of pipes depending on the year.
    One set carries the coolant accross the back of the engine, the other set carries the colant from the water pump area to the lower steering column area. There are rubber hoses that connect those pipes to the others.
    I work on so many I might have these confused with other ones.
    Seems like I have a tool that lets you pull the engine forward to get a little more room.
    Lowering the cradle is not much of an issue if you support things properly.

It might not be as bad as you think.
    Got any pictures?

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

You might want to type in the part numbers at www.gmpartsdirect.com to get them cheaper.

Yes CaddyDaddy, I do have a Haynes repair manual but the two times i needed it was for a level ride problem and this and neither problem was covered in it. Atleast i don't have to worry about getting those pages dirty huh?. Ewill3rd your pretty much right on the set up and actually today wasn't as bad as i thought i'm half way there and dropping the front of the craddle was very simple. One of the things i learned today was the importance of a racheting 10mm boxed end wrench this saved me because the 1/4 rachet with the 10mm socket didn't fit the two back bolt between the motor and firewall. there is a third bracket to the left of the water pump and below the heater core hose connections(15 mm bolt). cadillac factory hose clamps were position in kind of a difficult way to get off with channel locks, needle nose and pliers i wonder if they make a tool specificly for those? I have decided to go with the factory pipes becuase of the way they are premolded thus preventing kinks. My heater core and bypass hoses are in good shape would this be a mistake not to replace them while i'm here?

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

You're looking for Corbin hose clamp pliers.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    I think there are 2 sets of pipes depending on the year.
    One set carries the coolant accross the back of the engine, the other set carries the colant from the water pump area to the lower steering column area. There are rubber hoses that connect those pipes to the others.
    I work on so many I might have these confused with other ones.
    Seems like I have a tool that lets you pull the engine forward to get a little more room.
    Lowering the cradle is not much of an issue if you support things properly.

It might not be as bad as you think.
    Got any pictures?
    Ewill,
    A small turnbuckle works great (assuming that you have torque struts, they seem to have done away with those).

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

I have a scissor looking tool with a bolt through it, works great but I just don't remember if it fits into the northstar mount bracket like it does on the Chevys I used to work on.
    It works super on the 3.1 and 3.4 V6 engines to roll them forward to access the stuff on the back.
    Also works good on the older 2.8s.

If you touch those little hoses, replace them.
    No point in getting that close and leaving them to leak later.
    Most of them are much harder to replace later!

Oh and as for the clamp tool, they do make a really sweet one. It's like a pair of pliers with a long cable on them and a squeezer at the end.
    They work awesome. Most of the guys in our shop have them.
    Look here....Compare Prices on SK Hand Tool 90245 Flex - Cable Hose Clamp Pliers

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

I had the 2 small hoses repaired about 9 months ago. Radiator shop I use was pretty reasonable. He charged me $100 labor and the hosing was free. He said it was a real P I T A!!

Mattlanta is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

WOW!

I really had to reply to this one. I registered and created an account just to reply!!!

I have a '95 STS with the exact same problem. I repalced the rear motor mount a year or two ago and when I was under it I noticed how rusty the metal coolant pipes back there were. I was surprised they were not already leaking and was afraid to touch them.

Normally in this situation I would just be pro-active and replace them, but I couldn't see where they went and the motor mount was being such a %^$# I decided not to do more than I had to, and to just wait for a leak (I didn't know how thick the pipes were, etc). Aparently that was not such a bad idea because I made it a long way (more than a year and many thousands of miles) without a drip or drop. Finally my low coolant warning came on and I found that it would drip a little when the motor was running. After that it wasn't long before the little leak became bigger so I took it into a dealer. I just moved, so this was a new dealer to top everything off.

The dealer tells me that it is the same pipes I noticed leaking when I did the motor mount. They even let me in the shop to take a look. They tell me the pipe goes around the motor and you have to drop the motor to replace them (just like you guys know). They said it is 8 hrs. in the book and would charge $1100 to do it...to replace two pipes that cost less than $20 each!!!

I say no and leave.

I have 3 other vehicles so I just stopped driving the STS. I've been thinking about fixing it more and more lately, but I just don't have a lift here like I used to have access to before I moved. I guss I'll have to use stands and crawl under there. My plan was to do a simple fix if the rest of the pipe was still okay.

Well, I wish I knew a place around here to get it fixed for $100!!! That was good! Since I don't I'll have to get under there soon...wish me luck!

Matt.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.