Northstar cooling system question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar cooling system question in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Greetings all, Is there a "rule of thumb" to follow when building a custom cooling system for the Northstar? Since ...
    Enygma is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Northstar cooling system question

Greetings all,
    Is there a "rule of thumb" to follow when building a custom cooling system for the Northstar? Since it is aluminum, is bigger always better when it comes to radiators? I have plenty of room in my '53 Panellac, so I can put in just about anything. The original radiator from the donor '97 Deville was mangled, so I cannot use that.

So, what do you experts think I should build? Obviously, there will be an electric fan. Are two fans better than one? What about dual or single cores? I know I will be using products from Be Cool, Inc. and they offer pretty much everything I will need.

As always, any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Enjoy,
    ~Scott
    1953 Ford Northstar Panellac

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: Northstar cooling system question

I am really not sure what to tell you, but I have read that todays cooling systems are much smaller than when you and I were cutting our teeth on cars. That is evidenced by todays cooling system quantities. That means that they must operate at peak efficiencies. I'd opt for bigger and keep the two fans.

EDBSO is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

I like two fans each with two speeds.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

If I were doing a similar build, I would use a single core radiator with the same square inch area and H x W dimensions as the OEM part. More than adequate heat dissipation capability.

Since you have the entire front clip you should / might have the OEM fans. I would use both of them and allow the PCM to control the fan operation just like in the donor vehicle. You already have the wiring harness.

Looks like a serious project. Keep the board up to date on your progress.

jss
    jss is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Seville

Enygma,

I've checked out your page and am very impressed. I hope you'll update the page when she's finished so we can have a look at her. Having maintained the equipment, house and vehicle of a family member who is C7/complete (3 years post), I am familiar with the kind of modifications that you are having made.

I would certainly encourage raising the capacity of the cooling system because of the increased load you'll be putting on your Northstar. I'd bet that a 53 Ford is considerably heavier than 2000 Seville, so you've got more of a load to haul. I'm assuming that your electrical accessories will operate from a second battery that may require upgrading to a larger alternator; and because of the increased cabin area you may also be upgrading to a larger compressor; and depending on a number of things I don't know much about, you may have to go to a higher volume power steering pump. Each of those upgrades will tax the cooling capacity of your Northstar.

I don't know how to calculate how much capacity you'll have to add to the cooling system, but I do know of a Ford dealer on the north side of San Antonio that until recently specializing in selling vehicle with the modifications in question. They don't modify the vehicles themselves but could put you in touch with the company that does.

Good luck, Jeff

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.