Dropping cradle today, need a bit of guidance
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Dropping cradle today, need a bit of guidance in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; (A bit of background information, I was in an accident back in Feb which caused me to hit a median. ...
    davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Dropping cradle today, need a bit of guidance

(A bit of background information, I was in an accident back in Feb which caused me to hit a median. This bent the subframe a little bit and punched a hole in the oil pan, so I did a half assed repair job, using about a gallon of JB weld. Now I'm replacing the oil pan and subframe (along with some body parts.))

So I have my FSM handy, and I have removed everything I need to drop the powertrain & subframe, the lift and everything's ready to go.

Now I need to remove the steering column from the steering rack. I can barely see the thing in the first place. How the heck do I remove it??

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help me out here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

white97deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 Deville

Re: Dropping cradle today, need a bit of guidance

There is a single bolt that attaches the steering column to the rack on my '97. I'm not sure what year yours is. You get to it by opening the drivers door and removing the black panel that covers the underdash. Then you can look up at the steering column close to where it meets the firewall. You will then see the joint connection you are looking for. The bolt to remove is about a 10mm or similar size. Remove that bolt and you are unhooked.

The steering shaft will slide out as you lower the cradle. There is a rubber boot around the steering shaft on the engine side that you need to watch for as you lower the cradle. When I did it the boot caught on the lower steering joint and ripped. It's only about a $21 dollar part but can be avoided with some care.

Jonathan

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

I took off the bolt at the bottom of the column. It is a pain to get to as you have to hold the boot up to access the bolt. It has to come out, not just loosened.

The upper bolt might be an easier way to do it as you have more room to work.

Everyone takes better pics than I do....sigh...

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

I forgot to say this yesterday... THANKS. I got the body up pretty far before a cloud decided to open up on us, so I just set it back down. I ended up disconnecting from inside the car.

white97deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 Deville

Glad to help. Good luck getting your car back the way it should be.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.