Oil pressure problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Oil pressure problems in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 97 vin y motor. Oil pressure cold is 80 + psi. when engine warms up oil pressure ...
    Fiero STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): N* powersd Fiero

Oil pressure problems

I have a 97 vin y motor. Oil pressure cold is 80 + psi. when engine warms up oil pressure is 10 psi or less. Oil pump has beem changed, no apperent problems with bearings oil samples are tested and show no wear metals. engine has 17k miles on it. it appears that oil is getting way to warm and thinning out. using thicker oil only helps for awhile but it still thins and pressure drops I used an infared heat gun oil pan 250 degrees oil filter higher but it is close to exhaust manifold so I am not sure if reading there is accurate. Any Ideas as to the cause of oil heating?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

maydog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Oil pressure problems

I believe 10 psi is the normal hot operating oil pressure for the northstar. I will try to look it up again.

The manual says minimum of 7 psi but what is normal? do all engines run this low? I'm use to seeing oil pressure in the 30-50 psi on most othe engines. and everybody I know with a caddy has no gauge.

maydog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The aurora has a digital guage, i do not know how accurate it is. When it is hot it lies below 10psi. Its been like that for 2 years.

Aurora By Olds is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DTS

10 psi at hot idle is acceptable. You should see it jump to between 20 - 50 once you start driving, depending on engine speed. I've heard of some of the older N*'s dropping down around 4 psi at hot idle, and it never seemed to bother anything.
    As long as you get good pressure at higher rpms, you shouldnt have to worry....

I have great oil pressure over 1000 rpms, even hot 50-60 psi. Just low rpms, hot, in gear. Gets way low. Doesn't make any noise, just looks bad on the gauge. I guess I won't worry too much as it seems to be a common occurance.

Aurora By Olds is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DTS

That type of behavior sounds perfectly normal for the N*.
    You should be ok.

Anthony Cipriano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Fiero STS
    I have a 97 vin y motor. Oil pressure cold is 80 + psi. when engine warms up oil pressure is 10 psi or less. Oil pump has beem changed, no apperent problems with bearings oil samples are tested and show no wear metals. engine has 17k miles on it. it appears that oil is getting way to warm and thinning out. using thicker oil only helps for awhile but it still thins and pressure drops I used an infared heat gun oil pan 250 degrees oil filter higher but it is close to exhaust manifold so I am not sure if reading there is accurate. Any Ideas as to the cause of oil heating?
    Perfectly normal. The engine does not need much or any oil pressure at idle. The Northstar engine has a very large capacity oil pump that is crank mounted to maximize capacity (it turns at crank speed instead of half crank speed like other oil pumps that are driven off the distributor drive) so it will supply plenty of oil at higher engine speeds. Just doesn't make much oil pressure at idle. This is good for friction losses and fuel economy as making "too much" oil pressure when it is not required just makes the engine more inefficient.

Anthony Cipriano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Fiero STS

By the way. What oil viscosity are you using and are you running the oil cooler? The Northstar has an oil filter adapter with ports for an oil cooler in most applications. In the tight confines of a Fiero the pan is getting very little air flow so the external cooler would be recommended if you don't already have it. 250 is not too hot for engine oil at all. It is probably on the warm side for normal driving but under high speed driving it would be perfectly normal. I wouldn't worry unless the oil gets over 290 or so. Consider 300-305 about the absolute maximum for engine oil.

If you want to know oil temperature you really need to measure it in the pan. Find a VOM with a thermocouple reading provision and snake a thermocouple wire down the dipstick tube to read the oil in the pan for an accurate reading.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.