'94 SLS Crankshaft pully
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, '94 SLS Crankshaft pully in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; This is probably a dumb question, but here it is; My mechanic remove the pully and I did not get ...
    Reactor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '94 STS, '94 SLS, '72 couple deville

Question '94 SLS Crankshaft pully

This is probably a dumb question, but here it is;

My mechanic remove the pully and I did not get a chance to see it before he did it. Now I have to put it back on, I expected it to have a key for alignment like balancers have. There is no key, and no way of telling what position is the right one.

Does it matter what position the pully goes on?

if so, how is it marked, and how would I get it aligned?

thanks for your help

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chance_b is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '94 pearl sts

Re: '94 SLS Crankshaft pully

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this,

I noticed on my '94 STS that the end of the crankshaft was notched, but the pulley wasn't.. leading me to believe the pulley was replaced,

Anyway though, I'm pretty certain you don't need to worry about it. Just make sure you torque the damper bolt down really tight so nothing ends up slipping (can't remember torque spec, sorry, but it's gotta be reefed on).

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I think you are correct in that there is no alignment key, though I am not positive. It does require a high torque, something like 300 lb/ft. If not torqued correctly, the oil pump will slip and you'll loose oil pressure.

chevelle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

There is no alignment feature on the damper. Just slip it on. Since there are no timing marks on the damper and it is symmetrically balanced there is no need for a key or alignment.

There is a substantial press on the damper so use the appropriate puller to pull the damper in place. Using the production bolt is NOT recommended as the bolt will only engage a few threads as the damper is started and those first few threads can deform under the high press load required. This will cause the damper bolt to lock up and seize and then you really have a huge problem. Use a treaded puller that can engage deep in the crank snout that has a long threaded section to then pull the damper into place. Then install the bolt and torque. It takes about 300 ft lb to achieve the correct torque and angle on the early Northstars and about 250 ft lbs on the later ones.

You MUST get the damper seated and the bolt tensioned correctly to properly drive the oil pump. If the bolt is not tensioned correctly the oil pump drive can slip and cause a catostrophic loss of oil pressure.

As usual, with any harmonic damper, NEVER EVER use a hammer to tap it on to start it or drive it into place. NEVER even THINK of using a hammer on a harmonic damper as it will destroy the adhesion of the elastomeric ring that attaches the hub to the outer ring and the damper will come apart.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.