Noisy Lifters
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Noisy Lifters in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; '98 Deville w/ Northstar and 102,000 miles. Lifter noise continues after having been replaced. Mechanic states they need time to ...
    tedd is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Noisy Lifters

'98 Deville w/ Northstar and 102,000 miles. Lifter noise continues after having been replaced. Mechanic states they need time to charge. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Elmer Fudd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Deville Concours

Re: Noisy Lifters

well Tedd I hoped someone who knows about this stuff had an answer for you, because I don't know enough to offer anything.

Supposedly weak or semi-collapsed lifters can take 10 -15 minutes to "pump up".....but brand new???? Sheesh I would think it would be pretty quick.

GL

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

They can get some air trapped in them. Switch to a thinner oil if you haven't already... That will work the air out as they bleed down. It will be noisier on startup, but after a few weeks should be okay.

I was hoping for more input as well; Thanks for your replies.

Any other suggestions for this situation?

Did you get this done at a Cadillac dealer ? If not, perhaps you could ask them (service dept.) their input?

aamusls06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Cadillac Seville SLS, 88 Cadillac Deville, Trailblazer SS

ok, i'm confused now. i too have this problem on my cadillac, except mines clacks after it has ran for a while. i can first crank it in the morning and not here it. i added the marvels mystery oil and reduced the noise a small amount, but now it's back at it again.

i guess i want to ask is it worth getting fixed, because i have driven it 6000 miles since april and haven't had any problems with it.

please give me some input guys.

Mine ticks off and on (99 n* 111K). Started at about 105K (previous owner). Maintenance log at dealer shows service manager told her is is not worth tearing the motor apart to try and fix, (and she is a doctor so she had the $$ to do it if they had said to) his report said "drive it until the noise quits."

I asked the service tech there that I have known for 15 years and she said the same. It is not unusual on these cars with hi miles and try to just ignore it.

MM Oil has helped a lot, but not cured it (so far - ran about 400 miles).

It is wierd, it comes and goes. Sometimes, quiet as can be, ...others, it ticks like a package from Hezbullah......

white97deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 Deville

I've read that some people have had good success quieting noisy lifters by running some Seafoam in the crankcase for a short while. I'm not speaking from personal experience.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

A North* does not have hydraulic lifters, it has hydraulic lash adjusters. I have found several references to a bleed procedure to get the air out of them but no details. I would go looking in a Helms manual.

unruley247 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02 300m special,04 Intrepid, 07 Z06 and a 05 Yukon

I ran seafoam in my 96 deville the tapping was killing me mech suggested said its the best thing hed seen remove clean and queit lifters without side effect 1 1/2 yrs later 228,000 miles no tap and running like a top.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

I wouldn't say that there are no potential side effects with Seafoam. The Seafoam quieted down my noisy lifter, but also cleaned the crankcase of all the deposits that was keeping my car from leaking oil. Leaks like a sieve now...

Quote Originally Posted by unruley247
    I ran seafoam in my 96 deville the tapping was killing me mech suggested said its the best thing hed seen remove clean and queit lifters without side effect 1 1/2 yrs later 228,000 miles no tap and running like a top.

How long did you leave the sea foam in? An entire oil change period, or just a few 100 mi.?

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Don't use sea foam in your engine oil. It contains water and isopropanol, neither of which you want to add into your oil.

unruley247 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02 300m special,04 Intrepid, 07 Z06 and a 05 Yukon

I used it and had no side effects no new leaks no tapping nothing bad to say and i ran it for 1500 miles before removing oil and i hit I80 and I57 everyday doing at least 75-80 with 228,000 miles and counting

The work was done at an independent garage,which after replacing the lifters, was told by Cadillac to replace the oil pump. The noise continues even after oil pump replacement. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.