Expensive Air Filters Worth it???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Expensive Air Filters Worth it??? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am not talking about the complete re-fits with "cold air" intakes. But the simple rectangular filters. Do "hi-flow"s like ...
    Elmer Fudd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Deville Concours

Expensive Air Filters Worth it???

I am not talking about the complete re-fits with "cold air" intakes. But the simple rectangular filters. Do "hi-flow"s like K&N really help performance signifcantly??? I know, what is significant?? Well I would say going from 300 hp to 301.5 is not significant, but 310 would be......

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Expensive Air Filters Worth it???

Well, it may not matter. Went to the K&N site to get a part number and when I put in 99 deville, all the show is an oil filter.........

Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

You might call them directly - they don't always have everything in their inventory listed on their website, espcecially with our "older" cars - I got a K&N air filter that way,,,,,

Yes, this morning I checked some on-line parts stores and they had them. BOth said the same K&N number, so I'm sure its right.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd
    I am not talking about the complete re-fits with "cold air" intakes. But the simple rectangular filters. Do "hi-flow"s like K&N really help performance signifcantly??? I know, what is significant?? Well I would say going from 300 hp to 301.5 is not significant, but 310 would be......
    No. Do a search. This has been discussed many times. You'll find enough reading material to keep you bussy for days.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

As strange as it may seem. The original AC Delco filter is the most efficient on the market. Not only does it do the best job of filtering out the dirt, it also holds the most dirt before it becomes restricted. The only thing the aftermaket filters provide is an easy path for small rocks into the engine.

JohnnyO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado, '04 DeVille

Most air filters, even paper ones, are big enough that the paper isn't really much of a restriction. A 500 cube big-block is different. A N* is a great engine but displacement-wise it ain't all that big and therefore doesn't flow all that much air. I tried a K&N in my previous truck and didn't see a difference in either mpg or performance. I use NAPA Gold air filters these days.

Yes, after reading some past posts, it makes sense to stick with ordinary filters.......

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.