Coolant system question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Coolant system question in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 2001 Northstar 4.6 when the overflow tank overflows, where does the overflow go?...
    OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

Coolant system question

2001 Northstar 4.6

when the overflow tank overflows, where does the overflow go?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Coolant system question

Overboard, on the road, garage floor, parking lot etc. Just follow the overflow hose and you'll see.

Elmer Fudd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Deville Concours

If you add collant you need not fill it to the neck. At least on mine when I did that it promptly overflowed in the driveway when it warmed up. An inch down works for me.

If it does overflow, be sure to hose the stuff off with lots of water very proimptly. That stuff attacts dogs and cats with the sweet smell and is poisionous (at least the old green stuff was).

ok then i dont need to worry about a busted hose

now onto the possibly bigger issue, what would cause a normally non leaking 2001 Deville to overflow to the point of spillage to the point of a low coolant message

today is a 94 degree day, the car usually runs with the ac on but has never had an overheating problem, my brother was driving it and didnt experience a problem until parkin here at the office parking lot, he used the highway to get here with a average constant speed of 65 mph, no stop and go

i hope this isnt a big issue

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Remember, when you shut down, the cooling systen ceases to operate, but the cylinders are still hot and the engine will actually heat up (after boil). As it does the coolant will over flow if too full as Elmer mentioned. That will usually only happen once as the system is sort of seeking its correct level. If it does not overheat when driving, then perhaps the cap is getting weak. Does this happen with every shut down? Are you overfilling it? Proper level on an '01 is about 1/2 full, just about where the tank goes from translucent to opaque.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Correct, on the top of the tank in small letters you'll see where it says 'full when hot' and there is a line there. If you follow the line down the side of the tank you'll see that, as Ranger said, it stops right where the tank changed from translucent to black.

Where is your gauge sitting while you're driving? and as far as the after boil, sometimes when it's really hot out and I park the car, turn it off, and come back to it a few minutes later my gauge will be slightly above center. I've never seen it higher than that due to that affect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Remember, when you shut down, the cooling systen ceases to operate, but the cylinders are still hot and the engine will actually heat up (after boil). As it does the coolant will over flow if too full as Elmer mentioned. That will usually only happen once as the system is sort of seeking its correct level. If it does not overheat when driving, then perhaps the cap is getting weak. Does this happen with every shut down? Are you overfilling it? Proper level on an '01 is about 1/2 full, just about where the tank goes from translucent to opaque.

today was the first time ever, drove it str8 to autozone to buy some dexcool and filled it pretty high, about 1.5 inches from the top

even with low coolant the needle sat at mid temp

CadiJeff is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1981 CoupeDeville, 2 1990 Eldorados, 1994ETC ,1992STS

perhaps air somehow got into the system?

failing/stuck thermostat... the post shutdown heat up forced it open and it surged

tman2093 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond STS with Sirius, 2001 Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd
    That stuff attacts dogs and cats with the sweet smell and is poisionous (at least the old green stuff was).

It actually tastes good. I accidentally had a taste of it (long story) and I can see why dogs like it. It's not bad at all.

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Anti-freeze, glycol, is used to sweeten inferior wines in Europe in small amounts.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski
    Anti-freeze, glycol, is used to sweeten inferior wines in Europe in small amounts.

Reading statements like that make me glad that I have been a "Friend of Bill W." for over 9 years now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.