coolant flow question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, coolant flow question in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok, I've got a 99 Deville and I'm having a problem with coolant leaking from the coolant tank (through the ...
    mountain14er is offline Cadillac Owners Member

coolant flow question

Ok, I've got a 99 Deville and I'm having a problem with coolant leaking from the coolant tank (through the cap/overflow hose). I know that air and fluid go through the purge line from the water pump to the coolant tank but I was wondering how coolant gets back to the rest of the system. Is it through the same line or is there another line (my car had the engine replaced and there is reason to believe things were changed a bit). Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: coolant flow question

I believe the return flow line is on the bottom of the tank. It should be visible.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Yep, there is a bigger hose, usually 3/4 of an inch in diameter attached to the bottom of the tank. It goes to the engine and the top little tiny hose is an air bleed basically.
    If it's leaking out the vent hose then they either overfilled it, you have a bad cap, or something not too good is wrong with your "new" engine.

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

Is it leaking FROM the overflow hose, or near where it actually connects to the surge tank on a little nipple (can I say that here???) just east of the cap? My '99 Deville developed a tiny crack at the nipple which caused a tiny leak when the car was hot, so that after about five months, I'd lost about two cups of coolant there.

Required a new surge tank. Warranty coverage paid about thirty bucks, I had a $100 deductible.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

I think this is correct thread to tell about some minor problem with my car rather post a new thread .I dare say I am a bit meticulous lol .
    As you see in the pictures , coolant flow is what I am experiencing. I was driving yesterday and "check coolant level" came on .However the car was not overheating just sitting dead of the temp gage . Today before taking a trip , I just added some coolant as well as some water .( approximately 2 quarts totally).After that I saw those water around front bumper and near reservoir . I ascribe this to topping up a bit more but I don't think I overfilled the car .
    Is this normal that you lose some coolant in hot conditions or not ? We also owned Jaguar VDP but I don't remember we added some coolant or reflushed the system .

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

I admit to being somewhat puzzled by your pictures. Unless the STS engine bay layout is significantly different from the Deville and Eldo, how do you associate coolant loss from the overflow tank (near firewall on passenger side) with what appears to be moisture on the driver's side front end fender/hood line? Or are you thinking it's spraying up from the radiator itself?

What is the subject area of the right-most picture? Your pictures are a bit too close-up for me to make any sense of them.

I don't know why my car lost some coolant . The cap is also tight and not a bad cap.What I like to hear is that it's normal you loose some coolant ? Otherwise there is something wrong with the system ?
    As to overflowing the radiator , that happens when your car is topped up overtly ,ok . What areas are water sprayed out when you overfill the car ? Just like same areas you saw in the pics or water should drip down on the ground .

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

No, it is not normal to loose coolant unless you over filled the tank. Coolant in the area you have pictured is not from the tank. It appears to be from a radiator hose or the radiator itself. Remove the shroud that is wet in the bottom picture and you should be able to see where it is coming from.

Thanks Ranger .
    I will take a look at it .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.