More performance
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, More performance in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello, I just traded in my '97 deville with 213K on it for a 2002 deville. I am disappointed in ...
    wooded is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 seville

More performance

Hello, I just traded in my '97 deville with 213K on it for a 2002 deville. I am disappointed in the performance comparison between the 2. this 2002 only seems to get significant power after 4 seconds of wot. Is there any changes or parts I can add, ie turbinator, mafs, cold air, etc. My old 97 with 150K more miles could keep the grin on my face any time I needed it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

weister42 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

Re: More performance

If your new Deville isn't at least as potent as your old one then something's not right with your new vehicle. Clean the TB and EGR valve, check the plugs and wires.

I could be wrong but isn't the new Devilles heavier than the old ones?

GreenMachine is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

it sounds like its starting from second gear. You may notice a power drop from the lower compression ratio of the 2000s which supposinly allows the use of regular fuel. If you used premium in your old one and now notice this one doesn't respond to regular, run premium or middle grade a few times or some of the techron from an auto parts store (the others will know exactly what I mean by the additives in the higher price fuels, will clean it out some if its dirty)

But what your describing sounds more like its skipping first gear, or is sluggish dropping down a gear.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Maybe someone already instaled a Turbonator

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1989 STS / 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Yeah I think somethings wrong. My 01 rips the wheel out of your hand when it gets into the power-band.

Not really but you guys know what I'm referring to. The steering torque is amazing at and above 3k. You should be pretty happy with the power on an 02 Northstar even the standard Deville.

hey thanks for the thoughts, I've counted thru the 4 gears. I run mid grade now and before. green machine mentioned techron, and I read somewhere there are coated (mixture Sensor ?) wires that could be affected by the stripping effect of some cleaners. do you know which are safe and how often you can run them? also Ranger said someone installed a turbonator, I dont have one , but has anyone had experience with it good or bad?

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Turbonator=RIPOFF.

The Turbonator is proof that P.T Barnum was right.

There is an insulating "varnish" on the windings in the fuel pump & injectors. Most fuel system cleaners or injector cleaners are very strong solvents. If used in too high a concentration, they will disolve that insulating varnish. Our old Guru always advised against using them. I have never used them and never had the need to. If you insist on using them, follow the instructions and add it when filling (engine off).

GreenMachine is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

techron is basically what Chevron puts in their premium gasoline as an additive package, the offer it in bottle form now.

Shell has VPower for their named additive package but I am unsure if they offer it in bottle form.

Mobil Super+ has some additives in it like the above mentioned and I believe the offer cleaners.

Stay away from methonal based stuff.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

techron is put in all of their gasoline. Texaco now has techron due to the merger, but I can't specifically recommend Texaco due to past experiences.

Ranger, thank you. If you have a caddy with 70k of unknown fuel and style history, what would be a safe maximum of treatment time frame, ( in miles or tanks) to clear out deposits, valves, injectors, throttle bodies, etc. without damage to the varnish?

Follow the manufacturers directions on the bottle. The point is, more is not better.

wydopnthrtl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I've been using the techron cleaner for a number of years now. It's good stuff!

Usually every 40-50k miles I'll put in two bottles of it when filling the tank.

The other alternative is to have the "induction system" professionally cleaned. The tech takes off the fuel filter and runs the motor off a can of cleaner. This by-passes the fuel tank and avoids the noted potential problem.

Cost is usually in the $80-$100 dollar area. But it does'nt get much better w/o engine teardown.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
    I've been using the techron cleaner for a number of years now. It's good stuff!

Usually every 40-50k miles I'll put in two bottles of it when filling the tank.

The other alternative is to have the "induction system" professionally cleaned. The tech takes off the fuel filter and runs the motor off a can of cleaner. This by-passes the fuel tank and avoids the noted potential problem.

Cost is usually in the $80-$100 dollar area. But it does'nt get much better w/o engine teardown.

Rich
    Not really. The injectors have windings in them as well and fuel flows over them just like in the pump motor. One would "assume" that they use a "safe" solvent, but who knows.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1989 STS / 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

How do we feel about MMO for cleaning induction systems?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.