Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  codewize 
#1 ·
Hello, I just traded in my '97 deville with 213K on it for a 2002 deville. I am disappointed in the performance comparison between the 2. this 2002 only seems to get significant power after 4 seconds of wot. Is there any changes or parts I can add, ie turbinator, mafs, cold air, etc. My old 97 with 150K more miles could keep the grin on my face any time I needed it.

#3 ·
it sounds like its starting from second gear. You may notice a power drop from the lower compression ratio of the 2000s which supposinly allows the use of regular fuel. If you used premium in your old one and now notice this one doesn't respond to regular, run premium or middle grade a few times or some of the techron from an auto parts store (the others will know exactly what I mean by the additives in the higher price fuels, will clean it out some if its dirty)

But what your describing sounds more like its skipping first gear, or is sluggish dropping down a gear.

#5 ·
Yeah I think somethings wrong. My 01 rips the wheel out of your hand when it gets into the power-band.

Not really but you guys know what I'm referring to. The steering torque is amazing at and above 3k. You should be pretty happy with the power on an 02 Northstar even the standard Deville.

#6 ·
hey thanks for the thoughts, I've counted thru the 4 gears. I run mid grade now and before. green machine mentioned techron, and I read somewhere there are coated (mixture Sensor ?) wires that could be affected by the stripping effect of some cleaners. do you know which are safe and how often you can run them? also Ranger said someone installed a turbonator, I dont have one , but has anyone had experience with it good or bad?

#8 ·
The Turbonator is proof that P.T Barnum was right.

There is an insulating "varnish" on the windings in the fuel pump & injectors. Most fuel system cleaners or injector cleaners are very strong solvents. If used in too high a concentration, they will disolve that insulating varnish. Our old Guru always advised against using them. I have never used them and never had the need to. If you insist on using them, follow the instructions and add it when filling (engine off).

#9 ·
techron is basically what Chevron puts in their premium gasoline as an additive package, the offer it in bottle form now.

Shell has VPower for their named additive package but I am unsure if they offer it in bottle form.

Mobil Super+ has some additives in it like the above mentioned and I believe the offer cleaners.

Stay away from methonal based stuff.

#11 ·
Ranger, thank you. If you have a caddy with 70k of unknown fuel and style history, what would be a safe maximum of treatment time frame, ( in miles or tanks) to clear out deposits, valves, injectors, throttle bodies, etc. without damage to the varnish?

#13 ·
I've been using the techron cleaner for a number of years now. It's good stuff!

Usually every 40-50k miles I'll put in two bottles of it when filling the tank.

The other alternative is to have the "induction system" professionally cleaned. The tech takes off the fuel filter and runs the motor off a can of cleaner. This by-passes the fuel tank and avoids the noted potential problem.

Cost is usually in the $80-$100 dollar area. But it does'nt get much better w/o engine teardown.

Rich

#14 ·
wydopnthrtl said:
I've been using the techron cleaner for a number of years now. It's good stuff!

Usually every 40-50k miles I'll put in two bottles of it when filling the tank.

The other alternative is to have the "induction system" professionally cleaned. The tech takes off the fuel filter and runs the motor off a can of cleaner. This by-passes the fuel tank and avoids the noted potential problem.

Cost is usually in the $80-$100 dollar area. But it does'nt get much better w/o engine teardown.

Rich
Not really. The injectors have windings in them as well and fuel flows over them just like in the pump motor. One would "assume" that they use a "safe" solvent, but who knows.

#15 ·
How do we feel about MMO for cleaning induction systems?

#16 ·
How do we feel about Marvel Mystery Oil for cleaning the fuel system.

I just today threw in a bottle of Lucas fuel system cleaner. They call it "Tune-up in a Bottle." I have to tell you that I can tell the difference.

Better throttle response, better tip-in, better low end torque. The car feels great. Does anyone have opinions on this stuff?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.