cooling fan problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, cooling fan problem in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Alright, here's what happened. I was dropping off a friend last night and I noticed a strange tapping noise when ...
    The Director is offline Cadillac Owners Member

cooling fan problem

Alright, here's what happened. I was dropping off a friend last night and I noticed a strange tapping noise when I stopped the car to let her out. I got out of the car and opened the hood to try to see where the noise was coming from but couldn't exactly tell. I noticed a smell when I opened the hood. It smelled like burnt plastic or rubber...maybe wires. Since it was very late and didn't want to get stranded, I jumped back in the car a got home ASAP. As I sped back home, I noticed the coolant temp reached an odd high temp(240 F). It fluctuacted from 240 F to 208 F. I let it sit over night and checked it in the morning. I started the engine and let it run idle for a while and noticed the cooling fans didn't go on as normal. It usually goes on when the coolant temp reaches 200 F. So, I checked the fans and notice the passenger side fan (the one with the wire and plug mounted on it) and found out that the fan motor was no good. I go out and buy a new one ($140) and replaced it.

Now, with a brand new fan motor installed, I try again. Still, the fans don't go on. I even let it heat up to 240 F and still. nothing.

What else should I check? The wires connecting to the fans look good. When the fan motors go out, does it smell like burnt rubber or plastic? Was the smell from something else?

I'm sure someone here can help me to figure out the problem and guide me to getting the fans to operate again.

The car is a 93 STS. Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: cooling fan problem

The fans don't turn on til 224 degrees. Check the fan relays. I think they are mounted between the fans.

The Director is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I was told that the 93 STS model doesn't have relays. It has something called a power module that controls the fans among other things but have no idea where it is.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Could be, I am not sure.

chevyorange is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

What happened on this?

Mountie is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!

I sure hope that fan motor wasn't good...... Remove the driver's-side support bar ( shock-to front ), remove the air box, remove the plastic elect. / fuse cover (12" x 12" box). Stand in front of car & look at the lower front, below the fuse blocks at the bottom. You will see 3 relays. ( looks like turn signal relays)....... Pull them out and tap on them with a small screwdriver. Sometimes they stick. I "fixed" my driver's side fan that way! Then replace them sometime.

BTW, the replacement passenger fan motor may have a harness 'pig-tail' with a connector (8" long?), even though, your original one didn't, and plugged straight into the motor.

Is there another way to test relays? I've checked fuses, run the OBD diagnostics and there is nothing wrong with the sensors. The fans are newer, so I'm down to checking relays, unless someone knows something else that might cause fans to not kick in.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyorange
    Is there another way to test relays? I've checked fuses, run the OBD diagnostics and there is nothing wrong with the sensors. The fans are newer, so I'm down to checking relays, unless someone knows something else that might cause fans to not kick in.
    Another way? Sure...... but new ones and replace them, and see if the fans turn on.

Take them to an auto electricronics or radio repair shop & have them test the relays.

I was pretty much gonna buy new ones tomorrow... as I have no idea how to go about checking relays.

What I was asking was if there was yet something else to check for fans not coming on other than sensors, fuses, and relays?

When troublshooting, start with the simple, then start worring about going to JPL later. ( Jet Propulsion Lab)

In other words, replace the cheap parts first ( most of the time is usually a relay or a switch, or even a loose connection ) Even if you need to go to some higher help, these other items need to be confirmed working first, or they will do it anyway for a cost.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.