Valve Train Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Valve Train Question in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok I see a lot of discussion regarding sticky lifters. I was always under the impression that OHC engines didn't ...
    codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Valve Train Question

Ok I see a lot of discussion regarding sticky lifters. I was always under the impression that OHC engines didn't have lifters but rather the rocker arm rode directly on the cam. Is that not the case?

I know that Honda does some upside down thing in the V-Tech.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Valve Train Question

Are you familiar with the inside of say, a small block chevy?

The lifters ride on the camshaft, and the pushrods sit into the little "cup" on top.

On the 93-99 northstar, the lifters still ride on the camshaft (err... Should I say the camshaft rides on the lifters???) But, the valve stems sit in the little "cups".

On the 2000-2004(?) northstar, it does indeed have rockers. I can't remember exactly how those work. I believe the rockers have a pivot on one end, a roller bearing in the middle that rides on the cam, and the lifter assy on the other end.

Very familiar with small block Chevy. Could build one with my eyes closed, uhh well almost.

So your saying the earlier year N*'s were designed like the V-Tech that I was describing where the lifters are actually on the top of the pushrod. Interesting design I thought.

So then the 2000 + don't have lifters or pushrods, they are designed as I pictured it. Cam rides on one end of the rocker and valve on the other?

Thanks

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

kind of... The early northstars don't have pushrods though. The lifter acts on the valve directly.

For the 2000's, they do have lifters. Otherwise you would have to adjust the valve lash every 10,000 miles.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

unruley247 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02 300m special,04 Intrepid, 07 Z06 and a 05 Yukon

Ranger do you work for GM

Nah. Got that pic from caddyinfo. It was taken by JimD at the '04 Atlanta auto show. I just remembered seein it before. Infact I had to post and ask if anyone had it or remembered it and Walla.

That's a great picture. I looked all over last night and then my login for media.gm.com wasn't working and that just tweaked me.

Anyway How the frig does that work. Cam ride on a center roller? What's on the opposite side of the valve? Is that a fixed lifter sort of thing? Cam follower huh. wild shit.

I am not positive, but the way I see it, the rear side is a stationary pivot point. The cam acts on the roller and then pushes on the valve stem. It appears as if there is no lifter involved.

That's what I see also. Thanks so much. You have enlightened me on the N*. Knowledge is power

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    I am not positive, but the way I see it, the rear side is a stationary pivot point. The cam acts on the roller and then pushes on the valve stem. It appears as if there is no lifter involved.

clarkz71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Mercedes 400E / 1995 Eldorado/ 2006 Yamaha R1 LE

When you look at Ranger's picture, on the left is what GM calls a lifter. The top is a ball (and the follower or rocker)has a socket over a hollow cylinder filled with engine oil just like a common lifter. Most foreign cars call them "hydraulic elements", or "zero lash adjusters". And of course the cam rides in the head and pushes down on the roller which pushes down on the valve. I don't know why GM calls them lifters, they don't lift on any of the N*'s.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.