Check Engine Oil Level
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Check Engine Oil Level in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi Guys, I have a 97 Cadillac DeVille, recently I repaired some blown head gaskets, and all the other engine ...
    Cadi Homer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Check Engine Oil Level

Hi Guys,

I have a 97 Cadillac DeVille, recently I repaired some blown head gaskets, and all the other engine gaskets in the engine because it has an oil leak. However, just after 1,500 miles of getting this done I got a "Check Engine Oil Level" messages. I see no leaks under the car or any blue smoke I had to put about 2 quarts of oil to get rid of the message so the oil level sensor is working. Any ideas on what can be wrong?? I am using 10W30 regular oil ... should I use something else?? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Great forum!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

Re: Check Engine Oil Level

The check oil level warning comes on when there's about 5.5 quarts in the sump - 2 down from the capacity. I don't know how much oil was put in when you had the HG and other gaskets done, but it's possible that only about 6 quarts was put in, and you burned enough to make the light come on now...

This is assuming that some or all the oil was drained? Don't know - depends on how much the engine was torn down, I guess...

The 10w30 is fine.

Just keep an eye on it and make sure you don't see the level falling over a period of days - it could be that a bolt somewhere wasn't tightened to spec and you have a leak that blows out and away during driving but not at rest...

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I agree with Jim. I would not be too concernd. Just keep an eye on it.

Is there any way to tell/test if the car is burning or consuming oil?? How normal is it for cars to burn oil?? The reason that am concern is that I have a one year warranty on the gaskets and labor so if the mechanic did not tighten the bolts to spec I can have him correct the problem, however, am afraid he’ll “pass the buck” by saying that the car is burning the oil since there are no visible leaks. Am also concern because if the car is burning oil I’m not sure if I will have any further engine problems?? Any one out there have this same problem with having to pour oil every 1500 miles?? Would it be a good idea to use heavier oil since I drive it about 75 miles a day and the car already has 102000 miles??

Thanks for your comments and advice !!!

Yes, there is a way to tell if & how much oil is being used. Simply keep records of how much oil is added and how often (milage). That said, it is perfectly normal for the Northstar to use oil. Infact, it is actually beneficial as the rings and cylinder walls will last forever. Rather than try to explain it to you, go to the top left of this page, click on Technical Archives and read up on Northstar Oil Consumption. Once you understand it, you won't consider it a problem. My newer ones use much less than my '97 and I actually miss adding a qt. of fresh oil every now and then between changes.

clarkz71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Mercedes 400E / 1995 Eldorado/ 2006 Yamaha R1 LE

Ranger, if you miss adding oil on your newer ones, just crack the drain plug a quarter turn or so. Add oil as needed.

Thanks Ranger... thats a great article... makes more sense now.

acfcrown is offline Cadillac Owners Member

hi ranger .. sorry i put question in wrong spot . anyway my 96 deville's oil pressure light goes on once in a while and won't go off . then as quick as it came on it's gone again . is o/p switch bad or what? she burns about a quart every 2000 - 3000 miles which i understand is normal . any ideas for me? thanks again

Oil consumption is normal, maybe even less than normal. Might be a weak oil pressure switch. You could change it and see what happens. I don't think they are very expensive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.