Preparing for coolant change / Double Checking.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Preparing for coolant change / Double Checking. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok I just want to double check what I've learned so far. I'm preparing to save $100 and change my ...
    codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Preparing for coolant change / Double Checking.

Ok I just want to double check what I've learned so far. I'm preparing to save $100 and change my coolant myself. Here is what I intend on doing.

01 DTS

1) With my custom made 3/4 dowel tool remove drain plug.

2) Allow all coolant to drain.

3) Crank engine a few times to flush even more coolant out of the system. << Is that ok to do?

4) Replace drain plug

5) Pre-dissolve 2 tubes of Bar's Leak Gold Seal in 1/2 gallon of 50/50 coolant mix. <<< Is 1 tube enough?

6) Add half the amount of coolant that was drained then start the engine.

7) Wait for air purges and finish filling the system with 50/50 mix.

Does that sound like I'll get it done without breaking something. I'm very mechanical capable I'm just touchy about the N* because they seem to be sensitive to human error.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Re: Preparing for coolant change / Double Checking.

Quote Originally Posted by codewize
    Ok I just want to double check what I've learned so far. I'm preparing to save $100 and change my coolant myself. Here is what I intend on doing.

01 DTS

1) With my custom made 3/4 dowel tool remove drain plug.

2) Allow all coolant to drain.

3) Crank engine a few times to flush even more coolant out of the system. << Is that ok to do?

4) Replace drain plug

5) Pre-dissolve 2 tubes of Bar's Leak Gold Seal in 1/2 gallon of 50/50 coolant mix. <<< Is 1 tube enough?

6) Add half the amount of coolant that was drained then start the engine.

7) Wait for air purges and finish filling the system with 50/50 mix.

Does that sound like I'll get it done without breaking something. I'm very mechanical capable I'm just touchy about the N* because they seem to be sensitive to human error.

This is my opinion on doing it:

1) OK

2) OK

3) OK, but I don't think you'll get much more out, the coolant level should be below the pump so it won't pump anything. Keep it short so you don't damage the seals.

4)OK

5) Not OK. You have to add them into the engine so they don't settle out in the surge tank. Even premixed some will settle. Lower radiator hose is best.

6) Not OK. Add all you can.

7) OK

While you have it drained make sure the purge line is totally clear.

Ok so we'll skip the extra cranking.

5) Even if I follow it with the rest of the coolant you think to much will settle? I'm trying to avoid having to get at the radiator hose.

6) So fill it all the way THEN start the engine and continue after burping.

EDBSO is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

[quote=codewize]3) Crank engine a few times to flush even more coolant out of the system. << Is that ok to do?

filling the system with 50/50 mix.[quote]

I wouldn't crank, pump will likely be dry anyhow. I have heard, but have no personal experience, that you can blow extra fluid out with a shop vac set on blow.

I think 50/50 is the wrong way to do it. You can never get all the old fluid out and you will end up with a 32.87453 to a 67.129372 weak mixture (the rest is Bar's.)

Take the coolant capacity and divide it by 2 and start with 100% concentration and then after add the rest of the water.

I would also flush it out 3 or 4 times.

I would completely fill before I started the engine!

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Ok so we'll skip the extra cranking.

5) Even if I follow it with the rest of the coolant you think to much will settle? I'm trying to avoid having to get at the radiator hose.

6) So fill it all the way THEN start the engine and continue after burping.
    5) Yes. The hose is the right way.

6) Yes. After the thermostat opens you should get all the air out. That doesn't happen all the time but all the air should be out after 2 drive cycles, so check it again after you drive it a few times.

So do we need 2 tubes of Bar's Leak or is 1 enough. And the Gold Seal powder is the right stuff, correct?

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

In step #1, you are not actually removing a drain plug... you are opening a petcock... you will turn the petcock 1 and a half turns counterclockwise, and the radiator fluid will begin draining straight down.... but the petcock itself will not come out.. Kind of like opening a water valve... you spin it counterclockwise, and the water flows....but the handle doesn't come off...

I'm not sure what EDBSO is getting at....I may be misunderstanding or misinterpreting his post. My impression is you can't get ALL the coolant out... but what's left SHOULD be 50/50 mix... you would thus want to add 50/50 mix and fill it up... Dividing the cooling system capacity by 2 and adding that much straight anti-freeze will result in way too much anti-freeze, and not enough distilled water.... again, I may be misunderstanding his post...but I dunno about that....unless he's saying that AFTER flushing, there would be straight water in the system...???????

Many posters on here have also said "don't flush", so, I didn't flush.... and if you ARE going to flush, I would flush with 50/50 mix.... and distilled water only. No hose water, no tap water. That water is full of minerals, which is exactly what you're trying to avoid here, evil minerals that cause problems.

Right, understood. I wasn't sure if it was a petcock or a plug.

I didn't understand the logic behind that either. My thinking was the same as yours. If the coolant in there is 50/50 then all should be well by adding 50/50.

Nah, not going to flush. Whatever comes out, comes out.

Thanks. I think I feel comfortable now.

I also wanted to say that I don't see how Bar's Leak can settle in the tank when the hose is at the bottom of the tank. If your filling the tank and the coolant is flowing right out it won't have time so settle. Plus you're going to chase it with the rest of the coolant.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick7997
    In step #1, you are not actually removing a drain plug... you are opening a petcock... you will turn the petcock 1 and a half turns counterclockwise, and the radiator fluid will begin draining straight down.... but the petcock itself will not come out.. Kind of like opening a water valve... you spin it counterclockwise, and the water flows....but the handle doesn't come off...

I'm not sure what EDBSO is getting at....I may be misunderstanding or misinterpreting his post. My impression is you can't get ALL the coolant out... but what's left SHOULD be 50/50 mix... you would thus want to add 50/50 mix and fill it up... Dividing the cooling system capacity by 2 and adding that much straight anti-freeze will result in way too much anti-freeze, and not enough distilled water.... again, I may be misunderstanding his post...but I dunno about that....unless he's saying that AFTER flushing, there would be straight water in the system...???????

Many posters on here have also said "don't flush", so, I didn't flush.... and if you ARE going to flush, I would flush with 50/50 mix.... and distilled water only. No hose water, no tap water. That water is full of minerals, which is exactly what you're trying to avoid here, evil minerals that cause problems.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by EDBSO
    I wouldn't crank, pump will likely be dry anyhow. I have heard, but have no personal experience, that you can blow extra fluid out with a shop vac set on blow.
    That will get as much additional coolant out as is possible without turning the car upside down. I use this proceedure all the time.

2 more small things

Prestone Dex-Cool GM approved is OK? Doesn't have to be Havoline?

And how many tubes of Bar's Leak Gold Seal? Two?

I know I'm asking a lot but I don't want my N* to be a statistic.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

I also wanted to say that I don't see how Bar's Leak can settle in the tank when the hose is at the bottom of the tank. If your filling the tank and the coolant is flowing right out it won't have time so settle. Plus you're going to chase it with the rest of the coolant.
    Except that under every day driving, the reservoir is a "low flow" part of the cooling system. Coolant is not circulating through the reservoir at anywhere near the volume as the remainder of the plumbing.

If you have the time and inclination to remove and flush the reservoir you will find the interior construction is a series of baffles. If there happens to be slightly too much coolant supplement in the system, the excess supplement will drop out of solution and collect in the reservoir.

The evidence of nasty rusty appearing (no matter how harmless) supplement accumulating in the reservoir "might be / could be" the reason Cadillac and maybe all of GM stopped installing the supplement in the factory coolant fill. Owners / drivers might have been alarmed and reporting the "rust" to the dealer service department folks. I have no way of knowing how that whole deal came about.

And two tubes of Bars Leak Golden Seal powder is not too much to add for a coolant refresh. I always put the supplement in a high flow hose.

Clarification.

Do not flush with a chemical flush!!!

This is what I would recommend and you can follow if you would like or not. This is what I did.

1. Take off the filler cap, upper and lower rad hoses.

2. With the garden hose at 3/4 pressure shove the garden hose into the rad hose, seal the opening with a rag and let it run till the water comes out the other end clean.

3. Similarly flush out the rad in both directions till the water runs clean.

4. Also flush out the overflow box and block till they run clean.

5. Connect everything back together fill with hose water, bring up to temperature, allow to cool and drain as much as you can.

6. Fill with distilled water, bring up to temperature, allow to cool and do it again at least 1 more time.

7. The water left in the system is pure and clean with no disgusting DexCool in it.

8. Drain again and add straight coolant to the proper amount and then top up with distilled water.

9. Burp and top up over the next couple of days.

Follow this and you will have a very good drain and flush. Do it your way and too much old DexCool crap will be left in your N*

Just my 2cts.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Clarification.

Do not flush with a chemical flush!!!

Flush 3 to 5 times with distilled or other high quality pure water.

You want ALL the old DexCool coolant out after all that is what you are trying to replace.

I would suspect that you could leave upwards of 3 quarts to a gallon of the old tired crap in your cooling system.

Flush several times with water then add the appropriate full strength coolant and then top up with water.
    Agree with the no chemical flush.

Respectfully disagree with the water flush. A water flush is a guarantee to lose control of the desired 50/50 antifreeze/water ratio.

Drain as much as will drain and refill with a measured 50/50 mix. That will refresh the corrosion inhibitor properties of the coolant (the antifreeze properties do not wear out).

This is not rocket science.

According to the manual the capacity of my Eldo cooling system is 12.5 quarts or 11.8 litres.

Put 6.25 quarts anti-freeze in and top up with distilled water and you have got it made! 50/50 mix. Page 6-68 of the handbook.

Should have also mentioned when running turn the heater on high to flush the crap DexCool out of the heater core.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

This is not rocket science.

According to the manual the capacity of my Eldo cooling system is 12.5 quarts or 11.8 litres.

Put 6.25 quarts anti-freeze in and top up with distilled water and you have got it made! 50/50 mix. Page 6-68 of the handbook.

Should have also mentioned when running turn the heater on high to flush the crap DexCool out of the heater core.
    That is assuming that you get 100% drained. You won't. Now how much coolant do you put in? Premix it, and you won't have to worry. Just pour til it is full.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.