Oil Additive Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Oil Additive Question in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Does anyone feel that oil treatments are to thick for the N*'s. I just changed my oil and added Lucas ...
    codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Oil Additive Question

Does anyone feel that oil treatments are to thick for the N*'s. I just changed my oil and added Lucas to it. I think I can actually tell the difference but I think it made my gas mileage worse? Is that possible? AM I just paranoid?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Oil Additive Question

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Snake oil! When the Northstar was being developed and tested, it ran for days at WOT with plain old 10W30 conventional dino oil. Why do you think you need more than what GM tested the engine with and recommends? Do you think you will ever run it harder than they did? Stop and think about it for a minute. Have you ever heard of an oil related engine failure because of the lack of an aftermarket addative? How about the guys who get 200-300K on them with what GM recommends. Paranoid? Yeah, I think a little.

You know your right. I guess that's why I'm asking. I've always done this oil change ritual thing that included STP with the new oil. I recently switched to Lucas.

Maybe I should get up to speed and stop thinking old school? So do you use 5W30 or 10W30?

Thanks
    ADL

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Snake oil! When the Northstar was being developed and tested, it ran for days at WOT with plain old 10W30 conventional dino oil. Why do you think you need more than what GM tested the engine with and recommends? Do you think you will ever run it harder than they did? Stop and think about it for a minute. Have you ever heard of an oil related engine failure because of the lack of an aftermarket addative? How about the guys who get 200-300K on them with what GM recommends. Paranoid? Yeah, I think a little.

EDBSO is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado1
    Thanks for the quote, saved me looking it up.

Bad snake oil, the dealer wants it in your transmission and differential to!!

But then again they will get to sell you a new one or perform the expensive repair. My oil

Quote Originally Posted by codewize
    You know your right. I guess that's why I'm asking. I've always done this oil change ritual thing that included STP with the new oil. I recently switched to Lucas.

Maybe I should get up to speed and stop thinking old school? So do you use 5W30 or 10W30?

Thanks
    ADL
    I can recall the days when I also used STP, a qt. of trans fluid or some other hocus pocus. Oils today are eons beyond what they were just 20 years ago.

Personally I stick with 10w30. From what I gathered when talking to our old Guru, GM went to 5w30 to appease the EPA (not that there is anything wrong with it), but I got the impression that they would have stayed with 10w30 left to their own choices. If I were operating in -30 degree tempuratures I might go to 5w30, but since I rarely see less than -10 I stay with 10w30 even on the cars in my stable that recommend 5w30.

Damn it now you guys have me wanting to change the oil again. Ok so from now on I'll save the money and go with straight 10W30

Thanks for breaking the old school habits and bringing me into the N* age

Just wait til your next oil change. Nothing wrong with 5w30 or GM would never recommend it. Remember, what I said is just my personal opinion and choice. Don't get paranoid. Your engine will probably last as long on 5w30 as mine will on 10w30.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

STP paid the highest consumer fraud fine in history for bilking the public with snake oil, about $880,000.

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

My only question is, how DO they get oil from a snake????? Is it the same way they make baby oil????

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

My only question is, how DO they get oil from a snake????? Is it the same way they make baby oil????

I'm dying over here... lol. Yeah, it involves a pair of big rollers sprung together, and a large hand crank on a gear reduction unit, and a big bucket, to catch the oil.... hee hee!!!

EDBSO is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick7997

I'm dying over here... lol. Yeah, it involves a pair of big rollers sprung together, and a large hand crank on a gear reduction unit, and a big bucket, to catch the oil.... hee hee!!!
    Actually it is a loosely guarded secret that I can share with you. They use a special catalyst . . . fairy dust . . . it makes the oil easy to collect. Now the fairy dust, that is something else that I can't share with you.

JohnnyO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado, '04 DeVille

Older N*s with flat tappets are better off with 10w-30, on the later roller lifter motors (2000-up I think) 5w-30 is fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.