When buying a Northstar powered car....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, When buying a Northstar powered car.... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; When one is buying a Northstar powered car, what are the things you definetly have to look at? What are ...
    I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

When buying a Northstar powered car....

When one is buying a Northstar powered car, what are the things you definetly have to look at? What are the things that should tell you not to buy this car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: When buying a Northstar powered car....

on your test drive, pull over and pull the codes.

overheating would be a "bad sign"

Check the general maintenance stuff for good measure.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Take a loooong test drive. Stop several times. Go uphill or on the highway if possible. Put a couple of dollars gas in it.

You are checking for overheating. Especially uphill or at high speeds. Watch for any spitting out the overflow tank. THe rest of the time watch for any obvious problems. You should take enough time...at least a half hour...to get used to the car and notice any problems.

A ride around the block doesn't show up anything but the most glaring problems.

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792
    When one is buying a Northstar powered car, what are the things you definetly have to look at? What are the things that should tell you not to buy this car?
    Your finally going to bit the bullet and purchase one or are you just doing your homework. Either way good for you.

itsabughunt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Isn't the salesman going to think you're nuts if you want to test drive it for half an hour? Not that it matters I guess, but I'm just curious if its normal to test drive for so long. I wouldnt really know since so far I've only bought my cars from family members.

Quote Originally Posted by ALBUNDY
    Your finally going to bit the bullet and purchase one or are you just doing your homework. Either way good for you.

Just doing my Homework. I really like ETC's and DeVille Concours

It's a bighunt, I took that '84 SDV out for like 35 minutes. Owner didn't mind at all.

Quote Originally Posted by itsabughunt
    Isn't the salesman going to think you're nuts if you want to test drive it for half an hour? Not that it matters I guess, but I'm just curious if its normal to test drive for so long. I wouldnt really know since so far I've only bought my cars from family members.
    Who cares what the salesman thinks! You are going to live with the car, not him. The dealers here usually give you an hour to test drive it.

Most people are foolish and don't take the time to really test drive the car.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Apparently in addition to

oil leaks (mostly pre 2000) and temp problems

we need to look at the front motor mount. Very commonly broken even with extremely low mileage. Not a cheap repair. Take the time to check this out.

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Quote Originally Posted by codewize
    Apparently in addition to

oil leaks (mostly pre 2000) and temp problems

we need to look at the front motor mount. Very commonly broken even with extremely low mileage. Not a cheap repair. Take the time to check this out.
    Motor mount is an easy fix, and would be probably fixed by a "tech" at the lot if pointed out. Long test drive and use you nose after the the drive and actually during. Pull over and lift the hood with the engine running. Smell the whole compartment. Onle reason you should smell coolant is if it was just changed, and then be leory. Collant smell is not some thing you want to smell, and if someone is trying to get past a hg or pump, they will say "Oh some coolant just spilled on the heads " or something like that.

Be prudent, and suspicious.

Shame we have to be so militant, but......

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77
    Who cares what the salesman thinks! You are going to live with the car, not him. The dealers here usually give you an hour to test drive it.
    Whoa! An hour?! I always thought he'd think I was stealing it if I took it out for more than like 15 minutes.

Most people are foolish and don't take the time to really test drive the car.
    I agree, but sometimes it's hard to take it out for a while if the salesmen is pressuring you or if the car has a low tank of fuel like that '77 Town Car I drove last week. I wanted that car for longer but the damn low fuel light was on at 1/4 tank!

I~luv~caddys8792,

Your the one spending the money. Don't let him have control of the dealings.

I would have told him you were interested in buying the Lincoln but if you couldn't give it an adequate test drive,too bad, you were looking elsewhere. I bet he would have scraped up $5 for gas. If it was a private party I would have put a couple bucks in myself, but a dealer can keep a little gas in it. ( Really a private seller should too but they can get upset and putting a few bucks in can help when you're negotiating.)

I don't buy from dealers (once in my life) but read a book about buying from dealers some years ago. I don't remember the name but it was full of info on how the dealer negotiates. Everyone should read it before going to the dealer.

When I buy I don't always do as I say, but I do give every car I buy a thorough going over. I know I drive further than the average person, not a half hour necessarily.

I would have told him you were interested in buying the Lincoln but if you couldn't give it an adequate test drive,too bad, you were looking elsewhere. I bet he would have scraped up $5 for gas. .
    I told him prior that I wasn't gonna buy that car at this point, but the '70s Lincolns are one of my dream cars and that I've always wanted to drive one.
    It was by his good grace that I got to drive it. Most dealers would have told me to screw off.

I was thinking about throwing $5 in the tank, but I realized in a tank that's 28 gallons, $5 would barely move the needle on the guage, and it would still probably leave the "low fuel light" on. And those two gallons of gas would be gone by the time I put about 22 miles on the car. Plus, I was kinda intimidated by the size.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.