Northstar low oil pressure alarm
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar low oil pressure alarm in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I Replaced The Northstar In My Wife's Eldorado, (headgasket Problems And Overheating With Cooland Loss), With A Used Low Mile ...
    tiptoe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Northstar low oil pressure alarm

I Replaced The Northstar In My Wife's Eldorado, (headgasket Problems And Overheating With Cooland Loss), With A Used Low Mile Seemingly Good One. When The Engine Gets To Tempurature Especially On Hot Days I Get The Oil Pressure Alarm At Idle. If I Crank The Idle Just A Little It Goes Away Although It Sometimes Happens When Decelerating. Could It Be A To Low Idle Problem Or A Sensor? More And Neverending Northstar Problems For Me. I Shoulda Got Rid Of It.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Northstar low oil pressure alarm

Aftermarket oil pressure sensors are notoriously erroneous. Try a factory sensor before doing anything else.

thanks, it is the factory sensor that is in the engine.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Might just need to be replaced.

fristim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 Concours 212,000 orginal motor,trans

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe
    thanks, it is the factory sensor that is in the engine.

Totally normal here. Especially when the motor gets hot. The cure would be going to a thicker oil, best oil for the North* is Rotella T which is a heavyduty truck oil, try it and I guarantee it will go away.

Thanks, Just so happens that that is exactly what I use in my Kenworth. I'll give er a try.

Hey offhand how many quarts does the northstar hold. I have a pretty good and convienient service guy but I know that he does not carry rotella 15-40.
    Thanks

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

The 4.6L Northstar takes 7.5 quarts with filter change. Overfilling is very bad. WHen I change, I usually fill the new filter, then take the rest of the quart can and 6 more, and use exactly that. Then I check it once a week, and add about 3/4s of a quart every 1000 +/- miles to the Deville, and about 1/2 qt every 2500 to the Eldo. I just try to keep the level just below the top of the hash marks on the dipstick, checked when warm, about 5-10 minutes after shutdown.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.