Nothstar fairytails
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Nothstar fairytails in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm new here, so maybe there is allready a thread about this, but I a long time ago I heard ...
    dutch STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Nothstar fairytails

I'm new here, so maybe there is allready a thread about this,

but I a long time ago I heard a story about the design and performance of the Northstar engines.

Somebody told me Northstar engines were build to last several miles without oil in them and some other things like that. (note, the person that told me these things is a real big Cadillac fan, so he thinks there is no better engine than the Northstar, and I share that thought), but are there things like this know by you?

Was the Northstar engine designed to last under the wurst conditions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JohnnyO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado, '04 DeVille

Cool Re: Nothstar fairytails

Not without oil, but there is a "limp home" mode that the engine will run on 4 cylinders at a time if there is no coolant, like if you had a bad leak or blown hose or whatever.

Re: Nothstar fairytails

ok, tnx. Does are the things I am trying to find out.

But it also switches of cilinders when driving at one speed, doesn't?

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

No, it doesn't turn off cylinders. You're confusing the northstar with some of the latest engines with "displacement on demand"

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Depends on what you are talking about here. When in the limp home mode (overheated engine), the Northstar will alternately shut down left & right bank injectors and just pump air through the cylinders to aid in cooling and thus allowing the 50 miles with no coolant. It is not displacement on demand where it will disable valves and run on 6 or 4 cylinders as needed.

The Northstar was designed and tested to be a high performane engine. It was tested at WOT for hours on end and it needs to be run hard. Occassional WOT burst are recommended and if you have never driven one at WOT, you are in for a treat.

No engine will run without lubrication.

ok, so the story that it will run 90 miles without oil isn't true, but it will run for a longer period at the max rpm (don't exactly know what WOT is).

Haha, btw; I was telling a friend of mine your story JohnnieO about the coolant . He has a '92 STS and a '90 Allante both without Northstar. He's trying to sell me his STS, but I want a Northstar model. He says his engine is just as good.

After him and me spoke on the phone, he went for a short drive and the temp. ran up really high causing the engine coolant to boil. He stopped and saw a cut hose. He drove home carefully refilling water all the time.

haha, I could't stop laughing, because I just told him the story about the Northstar engine and how it reacts to a cooland leak. And he said that had now extra value. It was like the Cadillac Gods heard him say that.

WOT = Wide Open Throttle

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by dutch STS
    He stopped and saw a cut hose. He drove home carefully refilling water all the time.

haha, I could't stop laughing, because I just told him the story about the Northstar engine and how it reacts to a cooland leak. And he said that had now extra value. It was like the Cadillac Gods heard him say that.

JohnnyO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado, '04 DeVille

It was like the Cadillac Gods heard him say that.
    That can happen.
    Also, Cadillac came out with (I think) the first variable displacement motor in (I think) 1980, known as the V-8-6-4. It would run on either 8, 6, or 4 cylinders depending on the demand for power and to save on gas. Basically it ran like crap and jerked a lot and within a few years most people clipped the wire so it just ran on 8 cylinders all the time. I worked at a Cadillac dealer in 1983-84 and we did this. 1981 was the last year they made that engine.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

He probably has the 4.9 which isn't even close to a Northstar. I think the 4.5 in my STS is a closer resemblance. I often wonder if it was a test bed for the Northstar development.

Also the claim to fame on the 'no coolant' thing was 50 miles at 50 miles per hour.

No oil would cause immediate failure in any engine. However due to the high oil volume and small displacement of the Northstar, the oil change duration is extended beyond other engines. 12,000 miles or 1 year.

ok, so the story that it will run 90 miles without oil isn't true, but it will run for a longer period at the max rpm (don't exactly know what WOT is).

Haha, btw; I was telling a friend of mine your story JohnnieO about the coolant . He has a '92 STS and a '90 Allante both without Northstar. He's trying to sell me his STS, but I want a Northstar model. He says his engine is just as good.

After him and me spoke on the phone, he went for a short drive and the temp. ran up really high causing the engine coolant to boil. He stopped and saw a cut hose. He drove home carefully refilling water all the time.

Ok, thanks. This is the information I was looking for. It's nice to know things like these about a brand/model you like. Espaccially if everybody says your crazy driving in a car like these. Gasoline prices have never been as high as they are now (about $1,75 per littre) and I pay at least double the amount of road-tax as people with European or Japanese cars, because it goes by the weight of your car here.
    So you have to come with good arguments to drive a car like this, other than "I'm crazy 'bout Cadillac". Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by codewize
    He probably has the 4.9 which isn't even close to a Northstar. I think the 4.5 in my STS is a closer resemblance. I often wonder if it was a test bed for the Northstar development.

Also the claim to fame on the 'no coolant' thing was 50 miles at 50 miles per hour.

No oil would cause immediate failure in any engine. However due to the high oil volume and small displacement of the Northstar, the oil change duration is extended beyond other engines. 12,000 miles or 1 year.
    That has nothing to do with the extended oil change interval.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Ohhh ? I didn't look this up but from a logistical standpoint it certainly makes sense to me. So then why is there such a long change interval.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    That has nothing to do with the extended oil change interval.

If you are refering the the increase from the 7,500 mile cap pre 2000 to the 12,500 cap after 2000, it was due to the addition of the roller finger followers in 2000. On the pre 2000 engines, under ideal conditions the OLM did not cap at 7,500 because the oil was dirty, but because it was worn out (for lack of a better term). The flat tappet lifters had a shearing effect on the oil which wore it out sooner. The Guru could explain it better than I but that is it in a nut shell.

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Me and other members would rather not test the limits of the Northstar. It might be able to with stand those extremes, but why test if not necessary? Nice to know if I am in Death Valley and my wife is pregnanat and having a baby within the next hour, but really. When my STS over heated I shut it down and towed that girl. Why becasue I could for one, and another, I just could.

Shes a beast and a hearty one to boot, but test her to the limit, and she will tax your ass something serious if it s is critical.

Actually Ive tested the Northstar to great extremes with NO coolant for short durations. I wont do it again.

No castrophic problems, but I wont ever go there again....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.