2000-2004 crank sensors
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2000-2004 crank sensors in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Aar the 2000 to 2004 N* crank sensors reluctant type or Hall effect? Thanks!...
    dgarrett is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2000-2004 crank sensors

Aar the 2000 to 2004 N* crank sensors reluctant type or Hall effect?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

fhutchin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 2000-2004 crank sensors

And while we're at it: I just pulled codes on my engine and they indicated a failure in the Crankshaft sensor circuit. (It didn't say whether it was upper or lower). Does anyone know whether these sensors supply an input into the computer that controlls ignition? Or to the tachometer? My tachometer is fine, but I have an occasional stalling problem. Generally the engine runs very smoothly, but it will stall at stoplights once every couple of weeks or so.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I believe the sensors supply information to the PCM.

chevelle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

The 2000 and later crank sensors are actually a bit of a hybrid in that they have electronics integrated into each sensor that processes the signal from the reluctor wheel teeth and sends that information directly to the PCM. Previous model year crank sensors were much simpler and sent the raw signal to the electronic ignition module under the coil pack for processing. Since the 2000 and later sensors send info directly to the PCM which controls the coil-near-plug ignition directly the signal processing is done inside the sensors.

Tach info in the car is sent from the PCM to the dash module in digital form over the serial data link so there is no direct connection at all with the crank sensors.

If you have a stalling problem with a 2000 simply replace both crank sensors. The service parts incorporate design changes that supercede the original parts to improve long term reliability. It is possible for the 2000 MY sensors to cause an occasional stall without setting a diagnostic code. With the code set the sensors are certainly causing the problem. Just replace them both with the upgraded service parts.

Astronomer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Does anyone know if GMPARTSDIRECT carries the latest higher quality sensors? I understand there are some off-quality sensors made in mexico and I want to be sure i get the correct sensors to elliminate the occasional stalling.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

No eye deer.

Probably best to get them locally in case you need to return them. (assuming they let you)

GreenMachine is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

Quote Originally Posted by fhutchin
    Generally the engine runs very smoothly, but it will stall at stoplights once every couple of weeks or so.
    In the past year I've had this happen, started late winter, hasn't happened in about a month but during winter and spring it did it. It'll be fine, then I see the tech run to 575, it grumbles, engine stalls, gives me a code that just states engine stall detected. It will only happen at a stop, wont do it while driving. Usually occurs either when the car first stops for when I creep up and then stop.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Quote Originally Posted by Astronomer
    Does anyone know if GMPARTSDIRECT carries the latest higher quality sensors? I understand there are some off-quality sensors made in mexico and I want to be sure i get the correct sensors to elliminate the occasional stalling.
    I bought my sensors from them. I assume that they are the new updated parts, as they were visually different than what came out of the block. Since I installed them, I haven't had an issue.

Don

0to60n4.5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01' Seville STS , 79' Seville w/403 cid , 78' Coupe Deville

My 01' STS got to stalling every day on the way to work and again on the way home ( only 7 miles one way ).
    It would stall in the middle of going down the road , not just at a stop. But it would always start right back up.
    Bought both upper and lower CPS from Autozone and car hasn't stalled since ( about 5000 miles ago )

Astronomer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Thanks for the info guys. I have not had a chance to get under the car yet to see how much of a job it is to get at them. Is it right that I will have to remove the oil filter? Or; on the 2000 and newer are they reachable and serviceable without that hassle? My FSM (a good one from Helm, Inc.) is ordered and on the way, if there are good schematics I might be able to answer the questions myself....feel free to chime in if you have done this job yourself and have anything to offer in the way of advice.......... anyone?

When I had mine done on my '02 SLS (warranty) it was on the rack for no more than :30 minutes, so it can't be too bad.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...n-sensors.html
    Check out what I posted in this thread. It may be helpful.

Don

GreenMachine is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...n-sensors.html
    Check out what I posted in this thread. It may be helpful.

Don
    thanks for that link, will certainly come in handy, next time I change the oil I'll buy those and put them in. I'm sure if I go to the dealer and ask for the part it will be a bit more expensive but then I'll be able to say I need X for X car and get what I need the first time.

bmerrell14 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

when you replace both the uppers and lowers, do you have to do anything with the pcm to synch the sensors. In another thread a new member swore up and down if you do not use a CASE learn or bidirectional cable something that the new sensors will not work properly.

I am having the same problem on my 2001 deville

I do not believe that there is any thing to be done other than R & R them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.