Switched to Mobil-1 and oil consumption dropped
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Switched to Mobil-1 and oil consumption dropped in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I used to have to add one quart of oil per 1000 miles when I used dinosaur oil. At the ...
    thu
    thu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville

Switched to Mobil-1 and oil consumption dropped

I used to have to add one quart of oil per 1000 miles when I used dinosaur oil.

At the last oil change, I switched to Mobil-1 synthetic and oil consumption has been cut at least by half. I drive 500-600 miles a week.

Why is this? I thought that oil consumption would at least be the same and expected higher. The only real difference in driving conditions is that warmer weather is here. I don't know how that affects oil usage.

I didn't change viscosity.

I have about 2500 to 3000 miles on the current oil. It's down a quart but haven't added any yet. The oil is still golden-honey in color.

Some of you may ask, 'why did you switch from dino to full syn?'.

- The price of regular motor oil has climbed to an avg of about $2/qt here in Wyoming. I've noticed that a 5 quart bottle of Mobil-1 5W-30 is still $20, or $4/qt. It used to be that regular oil was $1/qt and Mobil-1 was $5/qt. Now that the price differential between the two has diminished drastically and oil changes are now between 10,000 and 12,000 miles, I'm changing oil only once or twice a year. Thus, the $15 difference per oil change 'is in the noise'.

- I've always used Mobil-1 with spectacular results on my other Caddys. 235,000 on '85 Deville, 298,000 miles on '93 Deville - engine still going strong.

- In the winter, the engine cranks easier, presumably putting less strain on the battery, starter, etc. Yes, it gets cold enough here (about -30*F, sometimes -40*C) in the winter to make a difference that is easily noticed.

Anyways, just wondering why my oil consumption has dropped so much after switch to Mobil-1. Another good test will be to switch back to dino to see if the oil consumption goes back to prior levels, but that won't be for a good long while....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Switched to Mobil-1 and oil consumption dropped

There is an unsubstantiated rumor that synthetic oil mists less in the crankcase so less is carried out the breather(PVC) system. If so this would cause a sizable drop in oil consumption.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Very interesting. I have never used synth oil because I don't see the point. But an interesting thought none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski
    There is an unsubstantiated rumor that synthetic oil mists less in the crankcase so less is carried out the breather(PVC) system. If so this would cause a sizable drop in oil consumption.

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by thu
    I have about 2500 to 3000 miles on the current oil. It's down a quart but haven't added any yet. The oil is still golden-honey in color.
    When did M-1 change color? Last time I saw any out of the can it was pitch black????

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

I use M1 in my 2000 STS and beat on it hard. I maybe have a 1/2 quart consumption per 5,000 miles.

codewize, aircooled aircraft engines can be heavy breathers and one sure fire way to reduce oil consumption and clean up the belly is to switch to a synthetic oil. The low misting was related to me by a Shell oil company engineer.

thu

Quote Originally Posted by JimHare
    When did M-1 change color? Last time I saw any out of the can it was pitch black????
    When you view it on the dipstick, all oils I've used is golden-honey in color right after an oil change.

thu

codewize, aircooled aircraft engines can be heavy breathers and one sure fire way to reduce oil consumption and clean up the belly is to switch to a synthetic oil. The low misting was related to me by a Shell oil company engineer.
    I never thought of switching to synthetics in the airplanes I fly. What I've done to three (piston-engined) airplanes was to have air-oil separators installed.

The amount of oil dumped overboard out the engine breather can be stunning - sometimes as much as a quart per hour at high power. Yes, it winds up on the belly and cleanup is sometimes a big mess.

thu

Quote Originally Posted by caddydaddy
    I use M1 in my 2000 STS and beat on it hard. I maybe have a 1/2 quart consumption per 5,000 miles.
    That is awesome. I just checked my Odometer and it's been almost 4000 miles since my last oil change.

The oil level indicated on the dipstick is at the bottom of the hash portion. Does that indicate one quart or two quarts low?

Quote Originally Posted by thu
    When you view it on the dipstick, all oils I've used is golden-honey in color right after an oil change.
    What color is it coming out of the bottle? I'm not doubting you, I just thought it was odd if Mobil changed the color of M/1 - I remember when it first came out I used it in a turbocharged Isuzu Impulse, and a turbocharged Chrysler Laser (mid 80s') and the stuff was pitch black - supposedly because of the graphite in it.

Perhaps the formulation has changed?...just curious.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by JimHare
    What color is it coming out of the bottle? I'm not doubting you, I just thought it was odd if Mobil changed the color of M/1 - I remember when it first came out I used it in a turbocharged Isuzu Impulse, and a turbocharged Chrysler Laser (mid 80s') and the stuff was pitch black - supposedly because of the graphite in it.

Perhaps the formulation has changed?...just curious.
    I think that was so you couldn't tell what it looked like if you followed the extended service intervals they used to recommend (maybe still do for all I know). Looks just like the day you put it in 25K ago.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

It's an amber color, just like all other motor oils! I never knew it was black!

thu

I have *never* seen black motor oil when it was new. It just *looks* black because as you pour it out, you're looking through a thick portion of it. Look at it as it's just dribbling out or on the dipstick and it's amber/golden-honey.

Mobil-1 has *always* been amber in color. I've been using it for more than ten years.

Atlantic Richfield used to peddle a motor oil that contained graphite and was as black as black could get.

Atlantic Richfield used to peddle a motor oil that contained graphite and was as black as black could get.

Koz, you know what? I may be thinking of "Arco Graphite" - that's what you are talking about, and the synapses are starting to fail here and there in the old cocoanut - but it could be that's the stuff that I remember being black.

I take it all back..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.