Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mallmon 
#1 ·
Ok i'm new to this.. in my T/A i have hp tuners and can tune anything i'd like into the factory ECU.. this untunable thing sucks.. so i look into my performance past and then of my old DSM with an SAFC.. plugs inline with the maf and at least lets you control fuel by telling the ecu something different then whats really happening.. AKA piggy back.. would one of these work on the N*??

it has me wondering

Mike

#6 ·
If you change the MAF settings and send it to the PCM, it will relearn. The only way to control the MAF is to have the signal being sent to the PCM skewed by the piggyback so the stock computer thinks the signal has not changed. Changing the AFR on a N/A Northstar will have no affect on the hp output. I proved this on a dyno before I turbo charged my 99 STS. I changed the AFR from like 13.5 to 11.5 and it made no difference. Due to the efficiency of the combustion chamber, the motor can handle a big range in AFR and still not affect hp. Unless you plan on doing some kind of forced induction, you are wasteing your time trying to tune a North Star. I am using a wide band to monitor and control the fuel thru the MAF with a piggy back that skews info regarding narrow band signals and MAF signal being sent back to the PCM.

The Cadillac computer is nothing like other GM computers that can be reprogramed or hacked into.

#8 ·
mark what you are saying honestly makes no sense.. the combustion chamber has nothing to do with a/f ratio.. i have dyno sheets on the caddy itself that show other wise.. i leaned the car out a little by putting a slightly smaller fuel jet in the nitrous kit and picked up almost 10hp going from a 11.2 to a 11.9 a/f..

i still don't see how the comp is gunna relearn.. you are basically giving the computer a false reading as to whats happening.. same as i maf tuner for an LS1 and its one of the most adaptive ecus there are..

see lucky for me i have access to a tech2 and anything your local caddy tech does so i have some tweakability.. i guess its time for me to get to work with my wiring schematic..

Mike

#9 ·
blacktransam said:
mark what you are saying honestly makes no sense.. the combustion chamber has nothing to do with a/f ratio.. i have dyno sheets on the caddy itself that show other wise.. i leaned the car out a little by putting a slightly smaller fuel jet in the nitrous kit and picked up almost 10hp going from a 11.2 to a 11.9 a/f..

i still don't see how the comp is gunna relearn.. you are basically giving the computer a false reading as to whats happening.. same as i maf tuner for an LS1 and its one of the most adaptive ecus there are..

see lucky for me i have access to a tech2 and anything your local caddy tech does so i have some tweakability.. i guess its time for me to get to work with my wiring schematic..

Mike
I was thinking about an AFC too. My 94 Eldorado ETC is running kind of rich right now and made me think about an AFC immediately. I had had used one on my 3000GT VR4 and a Ford Mustang, so I know this will work on a Caddy. Just have to figure out the wiring schematic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.