Looking for N*mech in northern RI
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Looking for N*mech in northern RI in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi, I own a '99 Deville w/ 200K+ on the body and about 85K on the motor. Recently I started ...
    pablo3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '99 Deville

Question Looking for N*mech in northern RI

Hi, I own a '99 Deville w/ 200K+ on the body and about 85K on the motor. Recently I started adding half a gallon of coollant per week, and increasing all the time. Getting a big puff of white smoke, too, so I guess it is pretty certain that I will now require a head gasket job. I love the car and the high miles on the body are not a real concern as everything works (Tranny was also replaced with a 75k mile unit, both engine and tranny by former owner. Yeah, the wonderful guy didn't do the headgasket while he had the motor out.) I am looking for a good mechanic in my area and was hoping that someone may have some good experiences in northern RI or nearby Ma. How can I be sure that someone is using the proper methods, timeserts, etc? I spoke with one guy who said he has worked on N*, but also said that on one head job he did they had to replace the block because the 'helicoils' didn't work. I desperately want to avoid this type of thing! If I have to, I will go to a dealer, but don't want to pay double for the same job, ya know? And I don't have any idea which dealer would be good, or fair. Any one have any idea how much I can expect to pay in the area? (SE New England/RI, SE Mass)
    One other condition has developed, I get a rattling under the car, front end, when in drive, low speed. Also, it rattles when idling in D. If I shift to N, the rattling goes away. One opinion (not on the lift, from the side of the car) was that it might be the torque causing the motor to be tapping something like an exhaust pipe. Seems too simple for the conditions (D, low speed, N goes away, etc.)
    Thanks for any direction or suggestions!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Looking for N*mech in northern RI

Rattles like you describe are sometimes the dog bone torque supports, a cheap and easy fix.

blunted is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldorado , '12 CTS Coupe

Re: Looking for N*mech in northern RI

Take a drive to Albany and you can get a quality job on headgaskets.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.